The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 1, 2007, 09:11 PM   #1
pdt1793db

.22 Magnum for Turkey Hunting

I was just wondering if any of you guys ever turkey hunt with the .22 magnum. This struck my fancy when I was looking through the hunting regulations and remembered I had a Ruger Single Six with a .22 magnum cylinder. I guess my question is how effective is the .22 magnum on turkey and what would be a good area to place the shot in?
Old October 1, 2007, 09:33 PM   #2
castnblast

Done it...Not w/ a revolver, but w/ a marlin rifle. Nailed it right in the head. 22 mag is well suited for turkey hunting. Make sure you use a hollow point if you intend on making a body shot. (I discourage that). You actually need to shoot them in the hip socket, or spinal column if you don't want them to run. The other option is right up the pooper when they turn away from you. Makes a pretty good bullseye.
Old October 2, 2007, 01:46 AM   #3
Fat White Boy

The .22 mag isn't legal for turkey in California. You can hunt rabbits and grouse with a .22, though.
Old October 2, 2007, 07:22 AM   #4
Mavrik

I'm not entirely sure what your location is but Archery and Shotgun are the only legal methods of taking a Turkey in Missouri. Check local regulations

To quote TFL Member Scorch from a recent thread where this came up

Quote:
The only state I know of that allows weapons other than shotguns for turkey is Montana. Most states dropped firearms other than shotguns for turkey back in the 1970s and 1980s.
I do remember watching a hunting program about 2 years ago where they were hunting Turkey with a 44 mag revolver. It was in Texas I think.

Mavrik
Old October 2, 2007, 09:39 AM   #5
worth

.22 magnum is fine for turkey. The best shot placement is at the base of the neck. This saves the meat and drops them nicely.
Worth
Old October 2, 2007, 10:27 AM   #6
FirstFreedom

In Oklahoma, in the fall only, in *certain counties* only, a rifle is legal during the brief "Fall Turkey Gun" season. In those places, a .22 mag would be an excellent choice if you ask me. Won't tear up too much meat if you hit the breast.

In other counties in the fall, it's shotgun only, and in still other counties, there is no fall turkey gun season.

In the spring turkey season, it is shotgun only.

I've often wondered if a .223 rem with ball military ammo would kill a turkey well without tearing up the meat - by the time it starts tumbling, it's already through the breast.

Last edited by FirstFreedom; October 3, 2007 at 08:09 AM.
Old October 2, 2007, 10:39 AM   #7
Neophyte1

NC

Turkey in NC: Bow and Shotgun

By the standards of most
Old October 2, 2007, 01:21 PM   #8
Scorch

Assuming it's legal in your state (you said you read the regs), a 22 mag handgun will work, but may not be the best option. Out of a 6" barrel, a 22 Mag has less velocity than a 22LR out of a rifle. In this case, I would definitely choose head shots to make sure the turkey isn't going anywhere, and limit the range to make sure your shot placement is good.
Old October 2, 2007, 02:15 PM   #9
FrontSight

Darn, wish it was legal in NY!
Old October 2, 2007, 08:59 PM   #10
castnblast

They are legal in TX for Rio's but you can't take an Eastern with one...HMMM Shotgun only for Easterns...I guess they figure western birds are smarter than the yankee birds and they are harder to get close too... Just kidding guys...I really don't know what the rationalization is for that. I'm not sure the state does either...Imagine that...
Old October 3, 2007, 08:06 AM   #11
Bitmap

.22mag will work fine. .22LR will work fine if you hit the bird well. A .44mag will not work if you don't hit the bird well.

Quote:
To quote TFL Member Scorch from a recent thread where this came up

Quote:
The only state I know of that allows weapons other than shotguns for turkey is Montana. Most states dropped firearms other than shotguns for turkey back in the 1970s and 1980s.
Scorch doesn't know what he's talking about. Most of my turkeys have been with a .38 Special or .357 mag. with cast bullets.

Quote:
They are legal in TX for Rio's but you can't take an Eastern with one...HMMM Shotgun only for Easterns...I guess they figure western birds are smarter than the yankee birds and they are harder to get close too... Just kidding guys...I really don't know what the rationalization is for that. I'm not sure the state does either...Imagine that...
It can't be the old population density argument because they allow rifles for deer in those same counties.
Old October 3, 2007, 08:16 AM   #12
ActivShootr

Illegal as fishin' with dynamite in TN.

I think a shotgun would be more effective.
Old October 3, 2007, 10:17 AM   #13
Mavrik

Quote:
ust wondering if any of you guys ever turkey hunt with the .22 magnum. This struck my fancy when I was looking through the hunting regulations and remembered I had a Ruger Single Six with a .22 magnum cylinder. I guess my question is how effective is the .22 magnum on turkey and what would be a good area to place the shot in?
When I originally read this I completely missed that the thought occurred that because of reading the local regulations.

Note to self: Don't respond to threads 5 min after waking up in the morning.

Personally I'd rather use a shotgun but it's not like I haven't been tempted dozens of times by turkeys walking around 20yrds away while I'm out deer hunting with my rifle.

Mavrik
Old October 3, 2007, 12:45 PM   #14
Scorch

Quote:
Scorch doesn't know what he's talking about.
OK, I'll bite. I only said
Quote:
The only state I know of that allows weapons other than shotguns for turkey is Montana.
Apparently there are others, I just know about the 11 western states I have hunted in. What state are you from? I'll add it to my list of states that allow pistols or rifles for turkey hunting. After I check the regs.
Old October 3, 2007, 09:59 PM   #15
crowbeaner

Rifles USED to be legal in PA, but I haven't checked their regs lately. Until they allow me to use a modern BP and my 742 I stay here to hunt. Still backwards in Amish country I guess. CB.
Old October 4, 2007, 03:40 PM   #16
Mannlicher

I have killed two gobblers with my Ruger Mini-14, taking head shots at under 30 yards. I know the .223 works ok, I have not used a .22 mag though.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old October 4, 2007, 04:55 PM   #17
wun_8_seven

In Oklahoma, i've shot them with 223 sp with good results. i think 22 mag or 17hmr would work great
Old October 5, 2007, 07:44 AM   #18
Bitmap

Quote:
Originally posted by Scorch
OK, I'll bite. I only said
Quote:
The only state I know of that allows weapons other than shotguns for turkey is Montana.
Apparently there are others, I just know about the 11 western states I have hunted in. What state are you from? I'll add it to my list of states that allow pistols or rifles for turkey hunting. After I check the regs.
Texas. There are some counties in East Texas that are limited to shotgun, bow, and crossbow only. This is for Eastern Turkey. The rest of the state is any legal method for Rio Grande Turkey.

Here is your link:
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat..._2007_2008.pdf

Check out page 54 for Means and Methods. Page 67 also refers to this. Bring an open sighted handgun or small caliber rifle next time you are in TX.

Apparently in OK you can use rifles as well at least part of the time in some areas.

Quote:
Personally I'd rather use a shotgun but it's not like I haven't been tempted dozens of times by turkeys walking around 20yrds away while I'm out deer hunting with my rifle.

Mavrik
You won't be happy with the results. I know from experience. I thought a .454 would be ok because I didn't think a turkey would provide enough resistance to expand the bullets a lot and tear up the meat - was I ever wrong. I've seen them hit with .30-30 Managed Recoil rounds, .270 and .30-06 and the results were ugly. Picture a turkey with a hole big enough to put your fist ALL THE WAY THROUGH. If you can make a head shot or where the neck meets the body you'll be ok. I prefer smaller calibers like I said: .38 Special or .357 with hard cast bullets and moderate velocities, or .22mag. .38 Special factory 158gr. LRN loads work great.

Have fun.
Old October 5, 2007, 07:50 AM   #19
fisherman66

My wifes father's idea of turkey hunting is waiting for a couple birds to line their necks up on plane with his 280. I know what you are thinkin'. I'd call BS too if I didn't enjoy the "ill gotten gains" chicken fried.
Old October 5, 2007, 07:57 AM   #20
Adventurer 2

Last year PA was rifle legal for Turkey - and what an advantage it is. I'll tell you I have fallen asleep waiting for big, fat, toms to get into shotgun range. I would shoot the turkey in the head and prevent the hand to spur combat of strangling a wounded turkey (if he doesn't get away).
Old October 5, 2007, 08:01 AM   #21
Adventurer 2

Oh yeah - you want to use a pistol. I wouldn't do that unless the turkey was really, really close. I can shoot a turkey further out with a shotgun than with a pistol. I've had jakes that have walked right up next to me where I could just grab them with my hands (never did but I could have). A pistol would have worked there.
Old October 5, 2007, 01:24 PM   #22
Scorch

Quote:
Bring an open sighted handgun or small caliber rifle next time you are in TX.
Thanks, Bitmap, I may do that.

Quote:
I've had jakes that have walked right up next to me where I could just grab them with my hands (never did but I could have)
Can I watch? I saw a goose beat the snot out of a 120 lbs Chessie once, and saw a hen turkey pound a coyote pretty severely. If you do grab one, better be ready for the reaction!
Old October 6, 2007, 09:09 PM   #23
castnblast

I nailed a nice tom 2 years ago @ 40yds w/my 300 win mag. (deer season) I knew if I body shot him there would be turkey all over the place. I aimed right wher the neck meets the body, and didn't blow it to smitherenes...That said, another 2" lower, and the results would have been much, much, different. Contrary, we were turkey hunting the spring turkey season about 5 years ago when we came across a pack of hogs. I grabbed my 300 and We chased them a good ways before we lost them. On the way back to the truck you guessed it, 3 toms...I tried the same shot, but much further. I hit low, and the bird blew into pieces. I hate wasting game, and was able to salvage a small part of one breast, but that was it...
Old October 8, 2007, 05:02 PM   #24
samsmix

Hot Dang! this critter is made for pistols!

A growing group of folks here in MT swear by the use of a .32 cal percussion rifle for body shots on Gobblers. Following this line of thought, the .22 mag should do well. It is in fact a common enough Turkey *rifle* here, as is the .22 Hornet, .222 & .223.

OH MY! It just dawned on me there are so many good rounds for this:

17 M2, 17 HMR, 5MM REM, .204 Ruger .22LR, .22WMR .22WRFM, .22 hornet, .222, 222mag, .223, 32 S&W, .32 H&R, 25-20, 32-20, .30 carbine, 7.62x25 Tokarev .38S&W, 38-40 38 SPL, .38 super, 9MM, 9x18 MAK .40S&W, 10mm. . . The list goes on! Even the .32acp &
.380 acp would be great if the guns are accurate enough!

For rifles, I'll pick: .30 carbine in an M-1 carbine
9mm largo in a "Destroyer" carbine
'03 Springfield w/.32acp "Pedersen" device
.32 flintlock
.75cal Brown Bess w/.25cal "swan shot" on the fly!
(but this involves stalking turkeys so you must be ina private area)

For pistols: Ruger single-six hunter in .22mag or .32mag
Ruger blackhawk in .30 carbine
my S&W M-15 .38 spl
TT-33 Tokarev, 6'' Navy Luger, or Mauser C-96
in their 7.62 chamberings.
Hammerelli target pistol in .32 S&W
.32 flintlock
1851 colt in .36 cal

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old April 21, 2012, 11:51 PM   #25
sixgunluv

.22 Mag for Turkey

.22 Magnum has always been my favorite weapon here in WV for Turkey. There are also many good ammo choices for the "Magnum."
My favs.
Remington PSP 40gr
Federal 50gr HP
Winchester Supreme 34gr HP
CCI +V 30gr HP

PHOTO of Winchester Supreme 34gr taken from under the skin on the opposite thigh.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Winchester Supreme 34gr.jpg (116.7 KB, 155 views)