The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 23, 2000, 10:49 PM   #1
Gunslinger

Well, fal went and done it. He, Slowpoke Rodrigo, Terridarri and I had little informal range session this weekend. Heretofore I had been tempted by the lure of the long range single shots. Oh, I had wanted one mind you. What true cowboy (at heart) hasn't gazed longingly at one. But I had been strong and resisted.
So here we are looking much like deranged armours from not one, not two, but three centuries when fal drags his .45-70 Rolling Block from its fringed case. The black evil guns did not speak to me. But the Rolling Block, oh, that Rolling Block. If one listened closely between shots on the range you could almost hear it whispering, "Gunslinger, Gunlsinger over here. You know you want to." fal did not help this. Each time I would glance in his direction he would give a small knowing smile, hold the Rolling Block, glance first at it, then me and then nod down range. But I remained strong. For almost two hours I help fast and resisted. By then the Rolling Block was all but screaming for me to shoot it, fondle it, surcum to its many charms.
I'm not sure if it was the weight of it. The sheer nostalgia. The sights. The huge cloud of dust stirred at the 100 yard line or perhaps the satisfying "thump" it gave the shoulder when shooting it. Oh, that thump. But I am now hooked. Doomed to search until I have one.
Thanks fal, as if my wish list weren't long enough already.

------------------
Gunslinger

TFL End of Summer Meet, August 12th & 13th, 2000
Old April 24, 2000, 09:38 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Yup, I truly enjoy the black rifles (have several actually) but the lure of that heavy-barrel 45-70 calling me from it's prison atop that dealer's table at a gunshow oh so long ago was too strong to resist. As everyone knows "Resistance is futile".
It's actually pretty cool to shoot and then listen for the round to hit. With practice one can get 2 to 4 accurate shots off in 10 seconds or so.
Of course I'm always on the lookout for another single-shot buffalo rifle, so who knows what lurks in the shadows of the single-shot world. If one listens very closely, one can hear a Ballard, a Martini, or perhap a Sharps or even another unknown stranger calling one's name in the dark of the night or by the light of the gunshow. Those are the sweet dreams
Old April 24, 2000, 01:04 PM   #3
wakal

I can't seem to get my wife interested in the sport, but she keeps looking at those "Quigley Models" in 45-110...wants to shoot the side matches, I guess.

Now if she just had the $1,600 for one...at least now she is looking at something beside the .50 BMG rifles...

Yeah, she is psycho.

Works for me.

Alex
Old April 24, 2000, 01:28 PM   #4
Slowpoke_Rodrigo

I, too, succumbed to Rolling Block fever Saturday.

Not to be confused with Rolling Rock fever...

------------------
Slowpoke Rodrigo...he pack a gon...

Vote for the Neal Knox 13

I'll see you at the TFL End Of Summer Meet!
Old April 24, 2000, 01:38 PM   #5
terridarri

It was a fever, wasn't it, it was also lots of fun. It will be much more fun in August when there will be more people to share the action.

------------------
WHEN IT COMES TO FRIENDS THE SKY IS NOT THE LIMIT