The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 6, 2014, 12:03 PM   #26
Doc Hoy

Here is my shooting bench

I put this thing in the field where I go to shoot.

Most of the time, I leave the tarp off of the top.

I am thinking about screening in the sides and the area under the bench top itself. Maybe even over the top.
Old June 8, 2014, 07:59 PM   #27
Doc Hoy

Back the the range with the Tokarev.....

And this time I put up the screen to retain the brass. Does a pretty good job but not perfect.

I had two types of ammunition with me. Some of the surplus stuff courtesy of one of the members of TFL forums. Thank you very much. Also took some present day Winchester along.

As I reported last time, I was getting high velocities with the surplus ammunition. I figured that Winchester bullets would be a bit tamer. Just the opposite.

While the Surplus ammo was 1420 FPS average, the Winchester stuff was right at 1470. In addition the first SD on the surplus ammunition was at 27 FPS plus and minus while the Winchester ammunition was 17 FPS plus and minus. So a good bit more consistent at least for that box.

I can hit what I m aiming at with it too. Sight picture is good for my eyes. I can keep everything inside about seven inches hand held at ten yards shooting pretty fast. As Gene Autry said about Wrigely's Gum...."I like it."

I love shooting this pistol. My original thought was to just use it occasionally and put it on the wall most of the time. But I like shooting it so much I may go ahead and reload seriously. Gonna need more brass.
Old June 9, 2014, 09:31 AM   #28
Mike Irwin
Staff

"While the Surplus ammo was 1420 FPS average"

That's almost picture perfect for what you should expect out of the Tokarev and proper Soviet-specification ammunition.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 9, 2014, 01:13 PM   #29
jimbob86

Quote:
"I was not suggesting he hang it 3 feet from him ....."

Now where's the fun in that?
Hot brass down the shirt is not my idear of "fun" ...... YMMV: I duuno, some people juggle geese ......

Doc, arranging a tarp to run from the top of your shootin shack to the ground at a 45 degree angle would deflect the brass downward, I would think .....
Old June 9, 2014, 04:24 PM   #30
Doc Hoy

Yeah but....

....Then I would not get brass down the back of my shirt.

I like the emotional aspects of shooting.
Old June 29, 2014, 12:00 PM   #31
grumbles

7.62 x 25 ammo

seems to me that some of the surplus ammo in 7.62x25 was loaded REALLY HOT for use in one of the warsaw pact countries submachine guns. I do not remember the markings, but the info might have been posted some where here. One lot supposedly tested in excess of 46000psi. Check and be careful, due to the time lag, I suspect any of this ammo is not in common circulation, was a big controversy when I bought my VZ-52 (a number of years ago). It was one lot/production run, My local gun shop had some as well as other production runs, he researched the info after being informed from several customers and restricted the sale to those with the PP-42(?) subguns. I've always loaded my own, but had a packet of mil surp was given me that I discarded after split necks and really LOUD report and severe recoil. I routinely shoot loads with a stout charge of H-110 (max as advised by Hodgdon). that had not nearly the muzzle report or recoil.
Old June 29, 2014, 10:31 PM   #32
gyvel

Doc, as I mentioned to you in another thread, I used to make 7.63 out of .223 back in the 70s when the Tok ammo was like hens' teeth. Once I reamed the necks out, I used a dial caliper to measure the thickness of the metal to make sure it was the same thickness as a factory round (in this instance, some Remington cases I had). They always worked well, and I actually still have a few of those original .223/7.62 rounds that never got shot. (Wonder if they would still go off?)
Old June 29, 2014, 10:38 PM   #33
gyvel

BTW: With a setup like yours, you might try placing a large cardboard carton or a 5 gallon bucket laid sideways with a towel or rags in it. When you shoot the pistol, the brass (most of it, anyway) will go into the box or bucket, and the towel or whatever will dampen the impact so the brass doesn't bounce back out or, if it does, it won't go very far.

Unfortunately, that idea only works for pistols that eject out the side; Whenever we fired a Mauser pistol, one of us would always act as "brass spotter."
Old June 30, 2014, 12:05 AM   #34
jag2

It is not the easiest round to reload, that short neck makes it hard to get much tension. I use Redding dies (they're my favorite for everything) and in the beginning used 86 grn bullets but switched to 110 grn (.308 for m-1 carbine) because of availability and cost. Would sugget you get the Starline brass since a very small percentage of the surplus stuff is reusable and isn't very cheap. Last flyer I got from SOG had some at about triple the price it used to be.
Also, the shiny Starline brass is easier to find than that tarnished surplus stuff.
Old June 30, 2014, 02:40 AM   #35
skizzums

wheres a good place to get one of these gems? they sound like fun to reload for