The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 30, 2009, 09:05 PM   #1
w_houle

What's the appeal of the Remington 41 RF Derringer?

I have seen them selling on Gunbroker and thought they looked nice, but is it even possible to get ammunition. I did a quick google search, but it doesn't look positive. So what's the appeal?
Old May 1, 2009, 07:16 AM   #2
DrLaw

The appeal is that this was the ultimate double derringer, the one that people think of when they think of a derringer other than the Lincoln "Derringer" by Deringer.

No, ammo is not plentiful but it can be found from some cowboy cartridge sources (last I knew). The problem with the Remington is that the weakest part is usually the most broken part on these guns. The hinge will crack. Once that happens, you really should not shoot the gun anymore.

The popularity of the design has been copied by modern gunmakers like Bond and American Derringer.

It's just one of those things in gun lore and style.

The Doc is out now.
Old May 6, 2009, 08:32 PM   #3
CBH

There is a nickel plated Remington .41 rimfire derringer for sale at Tiger Mountain Cutlery in Mountain City, GA. (706) 746-3705. I saw it last Monday. The top hinge is not broken. I do not know which version that one was, it has to do with the way the company name is printed on the top of the barrel. These guns were made up until the 1930's IIRC.