The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 5, 2002, 12:37 PM   #1
Fatelvis

M72 & M118 ammo

Does M72 and M118 ammo contain the same bullet, (173 grn)? Thanks guys-
Old October 6, 2002, 10:30 AM   #2
Fatelvis

Come on..... I know a few of you guys can surely help me with this one! Are the two bullets different in any way, or interchangable? Thanx guys-
Old October 6, 2002, 01:47 PM   #3
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Without checking my data I say they are the same bullet. I do know that the loading data for one can be used for the other (in the same CALIBER) 308=308 30-06=30-06
Old October 6, 2002, 11:31 PM   #4
Cheapo

FatElvis, mark this one down as verified. I've personally read the US Army and USAMTU documents describing the M118 (and M118 Special Ball) as using the SAME 173-gr FMJBT bullet.

M72 and M118 are numbers for the AMMO, not the projectile. It's based on the original .30-06 M1 Ball round inspired by the French (Ball sumthingorother?) boattail that produced a smal revolution in military rifle ammo at the beginning of the smokeless powder era. M1 Ball had a channelure. All have used the tar-type sealant in the case neck.
Old October 7, 2002, 07:54 AM   #5
Pampers

M852?

M2 Ball is USGI .30-06 standard ammo with 150 gr. FMJ.

M72 Ball is 173 Gr. Match, also for sniping.

M118 Special Ball has same 173 gr. bullet and is for sniping.

M852 "White Box" contains Sierra 168 HPBT for Match
NRA Golden Eagle
Old October 7, 2002, 04:27 PM   #6
Fatelvis

I knew you guys could give me an answer! Thanks a million!
Old October 7, 2002, 06:01 PM   #7
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

If your are pulled and still have the tar/sealer on them tumble them with a little acetone and they polish up just fine.
Old October 7, 2002, 06:21 PM   #8
riverdog

Isn't there also an M-118LR which uses the Sierra 175gr bullet?
Old October 8, 2002, 08:19 PM   #9
Cheapo

Yes, the M118 LR is new. Loaded with Alliant RL-15 IIRC.

Anyone know when it was introduced?

Has it ever been used "in country" in Affgaggistan?
Old October 9, 2002, 04:06 PM   #10
Joe Portale

Cheapo wrote:

"Yes, the M118 LR is new. Loaded with Alliant RL-15 IIRC. Anyone know when it was introduced? Has it ever been used "in country" in Affgaggistan?"

The answer is yes. The cartridge has been around for a couple of years. Hop on over to Alliants web page, the have/had a press announcement about it buried somewhere in the archieves.

I was/am interested in this round. There is not much info about it, sort of a "National Secret". That is it is a secret from us, all the bad guy governments know all about it by now.

I was asking about this on TFL about a year ago. The general ifo that was provided to me is that it is a Sierra 175 MK pill sitting on top of the appropriate amount of RL15 to produce a muzzle velocity of 2700 fps. The nominal MV is 2670 fps.

I have experimented with this combonation and can say that it is simply awesome. Screaming accuracy knocks steel rams down like no body's business at 400 yards. If you want to start playing with this combination, use a chronograph and watch for pressure signs, remember all brass is not created eqal. This is a pretty stout load.

It is the sniper/Socom bubba with bolt gun round in use today in all the dark places our soldiers must walk. If the military are using this round for sniping, you can bet your socks that the FBI and other Fed LEO's are using it now, also.

"Even now in heaven there are angles carrying savage weapons".
- St Paul