The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 6, 2015, 02:16 PM   #1
Captains1911

Vortex Sparc II - Dot Size on Low Settings?

I recently purchased a Vortex Sparc II, and the first thing I noticed is how much bigger the 2 MOA dot is on the lowest setting compared to my 2 MOA Aimpoint on low settings. One thing I really like about the Aimpoint is that I can turn the brightness down to obtain a much crisper dot for precision work. The Sparc on the other hand, even when turned down to the lowest setting, does not even come close to producing a nice small crisp dot. On higher settings the two look very similar, it's only the low settings where the differences appear.

Is this just the difference between a $200 and $500 optic, or is it possible that the Sparc is defective?
Old February 6, 2015, 06:59 PM   #2
Snyper

Quote:
Is this just the difference between a $200 and $500 optic, or is it possible that the Sparc is defective?
A true 2 MOA dot should appear identical, but I suspect it's the price difference you're seeing
Old February 9, 2015, 03:35 PM   #3
zach_

I bet you have an astigmatism. It is a condition of the eye. I have the condition myself. Glasses are on the way, should be here by Friday. I didn't realize how bad my vision is.
Old February 9, 2015, 09:21 PM   #4
Captains1911

Quote:
I bet you have an astigmatism. It is a condition of the eye. I have the condition myself. Glasses are on the way, should be here by Friday. I didn't realize how bad my vision is.
If that were the case, then why wouldn't I have the same issue with both optics?
Old February 10, 2015, 08:48 AM   #5
zach_

I didn't notice a problem with most single dot red dot sights at something less than full intensity. The ones with circles and a dot, cross hairs, or other reticles varied with the brightness of the reticle. The eotech looked like red smear most of the time. The sightmark with the single dot, the vortex sparc or sparc II on a medium setting, or the aimpoint pro were usable for me at the time. The Aimpoint warranty worried me, as did the eotech warranty. If the Aimpoint had the same warranty as Vortex, I would have spent the additional $180 for the Aimpoint.

Last edited by zach_; February 10, 2015 at 08:54 AM.
Old February 10, 2015, 09:01 AM   #6
Captains1911

I don't have a astigmatism, and I don't think you understand my question.
Old February 10, 2015, 10:03 AM   #7
zach_

Hmmmm, sounds like something I said a few months ago.
Old February 10, 2015, 10:52 AM   #8
Captains1911

Quote:
Hmmmm, sounds like something I said a few months ago.
Did you read my post? If this was a problem with my eyes (which it is not, I have annual eye exams), then why wouldn't it manifest itself with BOTH optics? I am asking about the difference between two particular optics. Thanks for the help, but you are not helping.