The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 13, 2013, 12:43 AM   #1
shawn32671

Cobray / Lienad .45/.410 Derringer help

Firstly, I hope this is the correct forum for this question, I assume it is since it relates to neither semi-auto or revolver...With that said, my next project is a Lienad .45/.410 Derringer from Excalibur in kit form with breech face and side plates from Jack Squats, I have recieved the breech face and side plates and am told the parts kit was shipped out today (albiet a full month after I ordered the kit due to miscommunication about my payment being made or not but thats as far as my rant will go ;-) ), Ive Downloaded and read the assembly instructions from Jack Squats website and it all seems pretty straightforward and not too difficult...I have a vast welding past so braizing the sides and breech face together shouldnt be a problem... but I have a few questions, first is in cleaning this gun once fired a few times...What procedure should I follow to disassemble and clean? Is anyone here familiar with these lil guns and what experiences have you had? Troubles with assembling? Troubles in function? Hints or tips in my assembling this kit? Any help appreciated. Thanks loads,
Shawn

Last edited by shawn32671; February 13, 2013 at 01:30 AM.
Old February 14, 2013, 06:31 PM   #2
shawn32671

leinad .45lc/.410 derringer parts

I just got the parts kit in the mail today, this is what you get...the picture with the side plates and breech face shows some spacers for use when welding the breech face to the side plates. I found these in a hardware store and 1/4" keyways seem to be the same thickness as the main spacer between the grips.

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6242f9d6.jpg
http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9ea55cfd.jpg
http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8608e06a.jpg
Old February 14, 2013, 08:50 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Welding?

I had one (in .44 black powder) and I'm 95% certain it was riveted together. Mine was not a kit, it was a factory gun.

What's to clean? Tilt the barrel forward and run a brush and a patch through it. Done.
Old February 14, 2013, 09:13 PM   #4
shawn32671

yes the derringer frame in kit form needs finished or they would have to sell it through an ffl as the frame would be considered a firearm....all you do is weld the sides to the breech face...see my pictures in my earlier post.
Old February 16, 2013, 03:41 AM   #5
shawn32671

finished Leinad

My finished Leinad .45 LC/.410 derringer from Excalibur L.L.c. I purchased a 5/16" x 1-1/4" x .041 spring from a hardware store to replace the missing hammer spring from the kit, I was not happy about that. I had to cut about 1/8" off the spring to get it to properly fit but it performs just like the original that was missing likely would have. I also had to use sandpaper rolled around a Sharpie* marker for the first 1/2" of the chamber because the parkerization was a bit thick in the barrel and was difficult to insert the .410 shell very easily or fully. Over all this was a fun derringer to build and really had no problems with assembling it although the trigger spring in the diagram is drawn backwards as noted in an addendum in the instructions for the trigger spring assembly part of the build.

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9ae788ba.jpg

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/...ps04aae53a.jpg

Last edited by shawn32671; February 16, 2013 at 04:27 AM.
Old February 16, 2013, 11:56 AM   #6
shawn32671

.410 shotgun or double barrel derringer conversion kit

I see in the catalog that they offer kits/parts to convert the single shot derringer to a .410 shotgun

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5adc3724.jpg

Last edited by shawn32671; February 16, 2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old February 16, 2013, 02:30 PM   #7
shawn32671

I fired off a .410 1/4 oz slug with my derringer a bit ago without any issues. There was a lot less of a "kick" than I expected and would have no problem firing this little gun several times in a row without the worry of a big palm bruise.

I don't see what all the negative complaints are all about. There was even a degree of accuracy considering the short barrel length and the fact that only the last 3/4 inch of the barrel has a twist in it.

My thoughts and experience thus far is that this is a nice little project if you build as a kit or purchase the same factory assembled derringer...with that said I would highly recommend this firearm.
Old February 16, 2013, 05:28 PM   #8
FrankenMauser

Thanks for the replies, Shawn.

These seem to be fairly unpopular, and almost unheard of in 'kit' form.
Most people would probably run away screaming, just at the sight of an assembled version; and especially if they saw that they that some one had to weld and assemble it.
Old February 16, 2013, 07:40 PM   #9
shawn32671

well like I said, the kit build was pretty straightforward and fairly simple. The kit has been available for many years though.
Old February 23, 2013, 10:19 AM   #10
conkli48

I am contemplating getting the kit. Is there any legal concerns with no serial number and transporting to a range. Or would you tell police officer it was a kit gun if you got stopped. Or would you just keep it around home and use it for fun.
Old February 23, 2013, 01:09 PM   #11
TennJed

I love projects and tinkering and I think this would be fun. However I have no experience or equipment for welding. Are they any other kits available or any alternative to welding in this kit?
Old February 23, 2013, 03:27 PM   #12
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I am contemplating getting the kit. Is there any legal concerns with no serial number and transporting to a range. Or would you tell police officer it was a kit gun if you got stopped. Or would you just keep it around home and use it for fun.
Serialization and registration depends on your state.

In states that don't require such things... adding a model and serial number might help in avoiding delays if you encounter a police officer, but it isn't required in most states (or by Federal law).

Most cops have almost zero knowledge of firearms law. A gun without a serial number, to them, is an immediate red flag (especially something that looks like it was built in a tool shed) - even if it is perfectly legal.
You simply have to weigh the amount of annoyance you're willing to deal with, against any potential desire to keep it unserialized.

Quote:
I love projects and tinkering and I think this would be fun. However I have no experience or equipment for welding. Are they any other kits available or any alternative to welding in this kit?
You can buy them as complete firearms from some FFLs.
Otherwise, they have to be welded (or brazed if you trust it), after obtaining the side plates and breech plate.
The double-barrel versions also require some machining on the breech block (supplied in the kit). Some people say you can get it done with a GOOD drill press, but most people recommend a lathe or mill.
Old February 23, 2013, 04:37 PM   #13
shawn32671

quote:
Are they any other kits available or any alternative to welding in this kit?

just take it somewhere to be tig welded, it only cost me $3.00 for a 5 minute job, and no, you do not want to go any other route but welding the frame parts together, these are the only kits I know of besides black powder derringer kits sold through places like cabellas

Last edited by shawn32671; February 23, 2013 at 04:43 PM.

Tags
cobray , derringer , lienad