The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 4, 2012, 05:26 PM   #1
schwann_oltorain

Can you school me on this?

Hey guys not sure if this has already been asked but what is this VZ-58 rifle and is it really signifigantly more better in performance compared to the AK.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bTaLKY4CN8&feature=plcp.

Also, what is the point of capping a 40. or 45 acp down to 9mm making it the .357(whats the purpose I suppose?)

Finally are the caracals and tanfoglio company good quality, its seems like it but I wonder why I dont see many people talk about it. What should I know about them.
Thx for the input
Old October 5, 2012, 08:21 AM   #2
Skans

The VZ-48 was a more expensive gun to manufacture and is generally higher quality due to the milled receiver. The only issue with it is the caliber/cartridge is not ideal - most prefer the 7.62x39 used in most AK platforms.

I don't understand your second question.

While I've heard that the Cararcal is a quality firearm, I have no direct experience with it. It was designed in the UAE (I believe) and I think it is also in service in that country - not quite sure where it is actually manufactured. Could be UAE or in Europe, or a combination.

Tanfoglio is an Italian gun manufacturer that has been around a long time. They were originally known for making and distributing cheap .25 acp "saturday night specials" in the '70's (which were not actually bad quality - I happen to have an old Excam). Today, they are better known for their Witness line of handguns, which are imported by EAA. I have a Witness Stock 10mm and believe it to be an exceptionally well made gun. However, there have been some reports of frame/slide cracking as have been reported on this board - you can research these posts.
Old October 5, 2012, 08:26 AM   #3
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
VZ vs AK:
VZ is radically different from the AK. It's a very good quality piece according to those who have owned it whom I have spoken to. There are more youtube videos about it, Hickok45 has a decent video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TexeQ0QPFU

9mm in a .40 case:
.357 Sig is a .40 S&W necked down to 9mm in order to have a very high velocity round with a smaller nose cross section for better penetration. With modern ammunition the application it was intended for is filled by more capable and tailor made rounds like the 5.7x28.

Tanfoglio: Again, decent quality from what I understand. The Witness is a CZ-75 clone which is a proven design if you like a hammer fired SA/DA handgun.

Caracal: Been around but just recently made an appearance on Rob Pincus' youtube page if you want a good review of the Caracal F.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eOCRbWXw_k

Last edited by WeedWacker; October 5, 2012 at 08:39 AM.