The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 8, 2012, 10:38 AM   #1
Rachen

Five New Anti-Gun Laws Introduced in New York State

FIREMISSION for all NYS and NYC residents:

NYS Senator Michael Gianaris (D-Queens) has just introduced another anti-gun package to the state legislature. Package details:

***10 day waiting period for all gun purchases
*** Requiring background checks even for PRIVATE gun sales
*** Requiring ALL gun purchasers attend a safety course
*** Limiting all gun purchases to 1 gun a month
*** Requiring that only licensed dealers can sell ammunition

LINK: http://www.thirteen.org/metrofocus/2...t-gun-runners/

Senator Gianaris has a long record of pursuing anti-2nd Amendment legislature along with his supporters John Lu and Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

He has even doctored a piece of legislation a few years ago that would have banned the sale and ownership of muzzleloading sporting firearms. That one was defeated by a combined effort of the NRA, NMRA and living history groups in NYS.

It is essential that this new anti-gun package be stopped in it's tracks before it can do further damage to law abiding gun owners and general citizenry in NYS.

PLEASE CONTACT ALL OF YOUR LOCAL AND STATE REPS ON THIS ISSUE. I HAVE DONE SO TODAY.
Old August 8, 2012, 11:07 AM   #2
kraigwy

I love Wyoming.

But yes you do have to be on your toes. I few years ago one of our state senators introduced a bill stating you could only have "X" amount of powder in your home.

To some, it was a reasonable amount.

I wrote the senator and told him how much I kept, explaining that some guns have different used and require different powders, not to mention I explained I had several guns and and different uses, so I had a ligament use for several different kinds of powder. Plus, most of Wyoming is real so when we traveled to large cities we stocked piled because local hardware stores didn't carry much if any powder.

I got a nice letter apologizing for his proposed bill, he was trying to beat the gun and set a reasonable limit ( or what he thought was a reasonable limit) before someone else had a 2 or 3 pound limit.

He assured me his bill and any future bills limiting powder would ever see the light of day. He killed his own bill in congress.

Writing legislators does work.............sometimes. But it never hurts.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 9, 2012, 12:31 AM   #3
sigcurious

I find it interesting that they discuss gun traffickers, and how they pay attention to the state laws to avoid getting busted for trafficking...Never mind the part where it's already covered by federal law and illegal at any number.

Also interesting, the idea that people only buy multiple firearms at once at gun shows. Because...you know...no one would do that at a LGS, or through a private transaction outside of a gun show. People really like to cling onto the gun show thing like they're some black market bazaar.

And the tired but true, so...they state they're trying to cut down on trafficking, which by definition is illegal and those participating criminals, by stopping people who follow the law from doing something?

Last edited by Tom Servo; August 9, 2012 at 10:27 PM. Reason: "New Yorfornia" silliness
Old August 9, 2012, 07:56 AM   #4
Don P

Just one of the reasons I moved and am glad of. Taxes, city living and NYC in general. Born and raised in NYC and have no intentions of going back being gone now for 31 years. One more trip will be needed to bury Mom when she passes on.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old August 9, 2012, 08:03 AM   #5
Webleymkv

Because I'm not from NY and not particularly familiar with its local politics, what do some of the NY resident's here estimate these bills chance of passage are? I know that NYC is pretty vehemently anti-gun, but I don't know much about the rest of the state.

Here in Indiana, some of the state politicians from the Gary/East Chicago are try something along these lines every now and then. However, Indiana as a whole being very gun-friendly, these bills almost never go anywhere.
Old August 9, 2012, 09:24 AM   #6
yourang?

now, the ny state senate is controlled by republicans by a slim margin

there has been some redistricting and lines redrawn

i would think the hope is to ram this through after the election
when the senate would switch to democrat controlled

since the assembly already is demo controlled
(they even passed a microstamping bill in the last days of this year's session)

and the gov is demo,

all that has to switch is the senate

gianaris seems to think that all the voters of the state want more
gun control

(most of upstate ny is republican and the whole downstate region
is mostly democrat)

hunter/garcia (new speedway boogie)
Old August 9, 2012, 09:34 AM   #7
Webleymkv

Quote:
most of upstate ny is republican and the whole downstate region
is mostly democrat
Sounds a lot like IL which was my former state of residence. In IL, most of the downstate area is politically conservative and pro-gun, but the Chicago area is extremely liberal and anti-gun. IL politics, with respect to 2A anyway, are in something of a stalemate right now as Chicago can't overcome the rest of the state to push its anti-gun agenda any further, but it's still big and powerful enough to prevent any meaningful pro-gun reform. Were it not for Cook County and the surrounding area, IL would've had CC long ago.

Last edited by Tom Servo; August 9, 2012 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Removed reference to deleted post
Old August 9, 2012, 07:13 PM   #8
graystar

Quote:
Because I'm not from NY and not particularly familiar with its local politics, what do some of the NY resident's here estimate these bills chance of passage are? I know that NYC is pretty vehemently anti-gun, but I don't know much about the rest of the state.
This type of legislation always passes in the Assembly, and then gets rejected in the Senate. That's why it's so important to maintain the republican advantage in the Senate. But it's difficult when such a large portion of the population are democrats. Basically all the big cities are democratic majorities.

Quote:
I few years ago one of our state senators introduced a bill stating you could only have "X" amount of powder in your home.

To some, it was a reasonable amount.
In New York City there's a 200 round limit...can't have more than 200 rounds of ammunition in your home. It's in the fire code. I don't know of limits in other parts of the state.
Old August 9, 2012, 09:22 PM   #9
ROGER4314

I was born in Chicago and lived the teen years in Illinois. I left and never returned and the restrictive laws were a major reason that I left.

I don't understand NY, IL and CA. Do the people really want these restrictions? Do they think differently than the rest of us or are they having these laws stuffed down their throats?

I've been in Texas for nearly 20 years. If ANY politician sponsored a bill like this, his political life would be over. These folks don't forgive or forget when their individual liberty is threatened. A guy who authored a bill like this would live the rest of his term in a ++++ storm. Why don't your people get RID of baggage like Shumer? You keep re-electing him. I don't get it. Please help me understand.

Flash
Old August 9, 2012, 09:39 PM   #10
sigcurious

Well for NY and IL, 40-50% of the states population is contained in either the NYC metro or Chicago metro. In my experience, people living in both metro areas are either unconcerned with firearms politics or in favor of some sort of restrictions because they perceive firearms danger to outweigh their utility. Not rabidly antigun, but when you live in a place where guns are not the norm, and have no practical understanding of shooting sports, recreation and hunting, they don't tend to see why restrictions are bad. California is something else, while living there I could never really put my finger on why people felt the way they felt about things. In both IL and NY though it is unfortunate that the major metropolitan areas disproportionately effect state laws. Sure in NYC and Chicago, even if you do own guns, it's they're not the easiest places to actually go out and enjoy your firearms or practice with them, but it seems that while policies are made that "seem reasonable" for a major city with limited legitimate access to ranges, they forget there's a whole other section of the population that does have access to ranges and open land to hunt on.

Either way, active firearms owners are a minority in most places. By active I mean people who more than own guns, but actually use them and or appreciate them for more than just a talisman. As such yes, 2A rights are not a top priority for most people. Which is unfortunate because I don't care what #A it is, they're all important and need to be protected.

JMHO
Old August 9, 2012, 09:52 PM   #11
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigwy View Post
I love Wyoming.
Amen to that, sir. Being anti-gun anywhere but Albany County and Jackson is a good way to lose a job.
Old August 9, 2012, 10:50 PM   #12
MLeake

sigcurious, be careful, your posts sound like NY and IL fail to recognize "sporting purposes," when we need to keep the focus on the right to self-defense. That is where the court battles have been won.
Old August 10, 2012, 12:23 AM   #13
Tom Servo
Staff

If we want to discuss the effects of the bill, fine.

If we want to discuss ways to oppose it, better.

If we want to bash politicians or trot out cheap cliches about groups of people, this thread will get closed in short order.
Old August 10, 2012, 01:16 AM   #14
sigcurious

Tom, I apologize for generalizing in attempting to answer the question posed before my post. What I said is based on my experiences living in those places, and interacting with people in those communities. Simply trying to convey my experience of people's feelings and politics towards 2A.

Mleake, I agree it's not just about sporting purposes, however I was trying not to be too long winded, which probably led to a bit more generalization than was good for expressing my point.

That being said, I believe there are two main arenas in which 2A issues need to be contended with. The courts and the people. The courts unfortunately change things after the fact or after something is in contention. Whereas if public opinion(the people) sways towards a 2A friendly ideas, it makes it more difficult for politicians to propose bills like the one in NY. As hopefully the legislators will realize that is not what the people want if more people are vocal about retaining their rights.

Unfortunately I do not have the time or money be involved in court battles. But I do try to introduce people I meet to firearms without the politics. In the hopes that at least a few more people will come to see firearms as something they can deal with. Once that hurdle is overcome it seems to be easier to discuss why 2A is important and why they should stand up for their rights.

A subset of the people aspect to me, would be petitioning the legislators/officials directly as Kraigwy did. This not only communicates the current desires of the citizens, but can cause change. Recent events in my current state of Nevada have left me surprised and hopeful that court action is not always needed to effect policy change. Individuals in a few cities pointed out that the cities were not following state law and preemption regarding open carry in public buildings and parks and have effected change by discourse with sheriffs, city attorneys and council members.

/walloftextoff
Old August 10, 2012, 09:36 PM   #15
mrreynolds

In New York State, the police have no duty to provide police protection to any particular individual. The Courts in New York have held that "generally, a municipality may not be held liable for the failure to provide police protection because the duty to provide such protection is owed to the public at large, rather than to any particular individual" (Conde v. City of New York, 24 AD3d 595, 596 [2005]; see Cuffy v. City of New York, 69 NY2d 255, 260 [1987]).

As the Chair of the Public Safety Committee of Manhattan Community Board 12. I will be holding a Public Hearing in September 2012 on NYS Senate Bill S1427 & S1863 with an emphasis on self-defense education & firearm training for women.

Bill S1427 PURPOSE: This proposed constitutional amendment would provide within the New York State Constitution for a right of the people to keep and bear arms for traditionally recognized purposes

Bill S1863 PURPOSE: This legislation would remove a gun licensing officer's ability to deny or restrict the issuance of licenses to law abiding citizens who have successfully undergone the state's strict application process and appropriate New York State and Federal Bureau of Investigations fingerprint background check required under law. In addition, this bill will conform New York State law to current ATF requirements regarding background checks for firearms transfers.

September 12, 2012 at 6:30 PM at Isabella, 515 Audubon Avenue New York, NY 10040. If you live in New York State feel free to take a look at the information that I will be presenting as well as sign my on-line petition included at the link below. I hope that you will come out and support me as I support you. Fraternally.

http://cavalierknight.com/documents.html