The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 9, 2009, 08:57 PM   #1
Huskerguy

Best Reloading Books

I have an older Hornady, third edition, 1980 and loved the book. It is a bit out of date with the new powders though.

Who makes the most comprehensive reloading data handbook now? With the scarce bullets it is a bit more difficult to keep things consistent. The internet is OK but nothing beats a good comprehensive book.

How about other reloading books just for reloading information?

Thanks
Old April 9, 2009, 09:04 PM   #2
Uncle H

I like the Lyman manual. Good and current information.
Old April 9, 2009, 09:16 PM   #3
D. Manley

The more, the better. If I had to narrow it down, I'd take Lyman and Sierra along with the freebie powder company offerings.
Old April 9, 2009, 10:08 PM   #4
Shoney

I think the most complete book today is the Lyman #49. Hornady used to be great because of the ballistic tables, but now there is freeware that will calculate that. If shooting Sierra bullets, theirs is better. However, for all around load data, the Lyman is hard to beat.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old April 9, 2009, 10:21 PM   #5
JCS1

I use the Lyman 49th edition. It's about the same price as the rest of the manuals. I'm sure you will be happy with it. Tons of information.
I miss my wife but my aim is getting better.
Old April 10, 2009, 11:04 AM   #6
James R. Burke

I try to have a few of the general type one's, and I get the one for the make of bullet I am going to use. I also update them now and then. You can't have to many. There nice to be able to cross check alot to things with. So I guess my answer would be if I were loading Hornady I would get a Hornady manual, if I was reloading a Nosler I would get the Nosler manual etc. Kind of expensive, and drives the wife nuts, so I dont even tell her anymore when I get one. Seems like alot but if you have a couple of favorite bullets it is really not that many manuals. The ones listed in the previous post are very good also. Have fun, and keep it safe!
Old April 10, 2009, 11:21 AM   #7
j357

I agree that the lyman 49th edition is great. The new Lee book is fairly good. I also have the new Hornady book and like it when using their bullets.
I have also found good info in the Hodgdon annual update available from news stands.
Old April 10, 2009, 07:14 PM   #8
Huskerguy

I like the comment about the wife. It reminds me of the story about a guy who had a small but expandable gun cabinet. He slowly added to his collection so his wife wouldn't notice. One day she said she must be getting old because it use to only take a few minutes to dust the gun case and now it took an hour.

I have a wonderful wife so she would be OK - I think

I ordered the Lyman 49th Ed today from Midway and it is on backorder along with everything else I ordered. It is however, on sale for $17.99.

They hardly have a bullet in stock and they don't expect to fill my order until sometime in May!
Old April 11, 2009, 04:24 AM   #9
TheNatureBoy

Personal preference I'd say. I have the most recent Nosler and Sierra reloading manuals. I own these because I favor Nosler and Sierra products. I've checked out the others and don't have a problem with them. Matter of fact I intend to use Hornady products in the near future, so I'll purchase their manual as well. They all have good information in them.
Old April 11, 2009, 09:36 AM   #10
FrankenMauser

I have three go-to books/manuals.

Hornady
Speer
(I use a lot of their bullets, and the Hornady manual is pleasing on the eyes.)

Hodgdon
(Lots of data on many different bullets, and lists data for brand new powders.)