The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 26, 2001, 11:38 PM   #1
rugerfreak

So far---So good

Last Saturday I took a chance and bought a Charles Daly 20ga. automatic at Wally's for $299.

This gun is VERY lightweight and handles like a dream. I looked on their web site and it says that the automatics use the Rem-choke system----so if I ever happen to lose one of the chokes, I can replace it easily.

On Sunday I took it out and shot is with an assortment of old shells I had laying around----using the IC choke, I shot birdshot--buckshot and slugs---there were no jams or failures to eject---it hit where I pointed it and ran pretty much like clockwork.

The only annoying little thing about the gun is that you have to push the bolt-release button to put shells in the magazine------rather then just shoving em in like most guns.

I only put about 2 boxes of shells through this gun---so i can't speak about long-term durability yet.

So far, I feel like I got one hell of a deal with this gun----a semi-auto with 3 choke tubes + wrench --an extra O-ring----and sling studs all for $299-----oh ya--a cable lock too.

Ya--it's a little on the ugly side but that's the beauty of it too. Having a gun you can really use and not have to baby so you don't scratch the finish.

Only time will tell---but right now I'm very happy with it.
Old September 27, 2001, 06:36 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Glad you like it.Contact the maker/importer and see if you can stock up on those O rings.

Meanwhile,enjoy the break in period...
Old September 27, 2001, 07:55 AM   #3
K80Geoff

Where are these guns made. Are they made by SKB? Sounds like they are from your description of the shell loading procedure.

Probably a well made gun that will have trouble competing against Remington and Beretta.

I won an SKB 1300, gun works fine but I do not believe it will ever make inroads against Beretta or Remington. It is just not innovative enough and parts supply will be problem. I gave mine to my cousin to hunt deer with.

Good luck with the new gun

Geoff Ross
Old September 27, 2001, 09:47 AM   #4
rugerfreak

The gun was made in Turkey and imported by K.B.I.------It also has a 3 inch chamber and 5+1 shell capacity.

Have there been reports of people having trouble with the O-rings?
Old September 27, 2001, 03:09 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Nope, Rugerfreak, but my guess is these may be hard to find if the model's discontinued, or our relations with Turkey(A mostly Islamic nation) worsen.

Daly has always been more of a distributor than maker, their guns have come from Prussia, Japan, Turkey, South America, etc. So, parts may a prob later on...