The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 18, 2012, 10:27 PM   #1
chris in va

Golden Saber diameter?

Thought I'd post this here as most of you understand such things.

I just bought a box of Golden Saber 124gr +p ammo for my P01. The bullet is really sticking out a ways, much more than any I've seen so far. On a whim I dropped one nose first into the muzzle and the whole darn thing went in, to the case mouth.

It looks like there's about .160" of seated bullet in the case. I haven't pulled one, but is there really only that much that would make contact with the rifling?

The bullet measures .347 right at the case mouth. It's like that all the way from the ogive end, straight as can be. Unless the bullet suddenly gets fatter, I just don't see how this works.
Old November 19, 2012, 12:09 PM   #2
chris in va

Ok, I see this stumped a few people. Did some image searches and indeed the Golden Saber does have a stepped bullet. The first 2/3 doesn't make contact with the rifling.

Weird.
Old November 19, 2012, 12:31 PM   #3
rg1

Yeah, the Golden Saber has a driving band that in 9MM is .355". The driving band in factory 9MM starts about .010 inside the neck of the case. Overall length of the GS in 124gr 9MM is about 1.120-1.125" which is a typical length for 124gr Hollowpoints. Very good shooting bullet in my pistols. Reloading for the Golden Saber bullet generally requires about .2 (two tenths) grain more powder than does a same weight copper jacketed bullet to reach the same velocity. The minor diameter and driving band reduces pressure.
Old November 19, 2012, 09:39 PM   #4
chris in va

Interesting, thanks.
Old November 21, 2012, 11:52 PM   #5
RC20

Another term for them is "bore rider"

Its an odd duck, my Sig loves em.

I have average them out and its right at 1.120 COAL for the 124s so watch how you load them. Some people advocate using the drive band for depth and that is wrong (close on the 147s).

They are a stragne one to load as with the narrow front, you can't crimp them (or maybe should not) due tot he headspace issue.

I like them in factory, but I believe they seal them with something in that area.

I would have thought they would move faster with same powder as a XTP(?) Hornady equivalent but they do not.

Remington provides no load data and that makes me a bit nervous (could not find them anyway to went to the XTPs and those shoot good and keep the GS int he first clip.
Old November 23, 2012, 07:55 PM   #6
hagar

They shoot extremely well, I shot a 5 shot group at 65 yards right in the 10 ring that nobody would believe. My friend, who is a bullseye shooter, had his eyes go wide..