The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 24, 2010, 07:55 AM   #1
HOBBY101

What do you think of this recipe?

I have had a hard time finding a recipe for a Lead FP 147 gr. bullet using titegroup. After looking at all of my books and online I put this recipe together. Please tell me what your thoughts are on it? All feedback welcome and appreciated. I ordered a Lyman 49th edition manual and hope it has something in it I can use. Thanks

9MM-(147GR LEAD FP)-(3.2 TITEGROUP)-(REMINGTON 1 1/2 SPP)-(C.O.L. 1.115)?
Old February 24, 2010, 09:15 AM   #2
amathis

Seems to me like you'd be starting a little to hot for using a lead bullet. The wisdom that was passed down to me on this website is that if you're not sure and often times even if you are, reduce the load by 10% and use that as a starting poing.

I would probably start around 2.8gr if I were you. Then again I'd also wait for more people than just me to add their 2 cents.
Old February 24, 2010, 10:15 AM   #3
reloader28

I didnt find it anywhere. That means it wasnt a good powder. They only print the best preforming powders for sake of room.

It looks like youre just taking the min jacketed load and using it for cast.

I'm going to get my butt chewed by everyone for saying this, but I have done that too.

If you did your homework and compared everything, using a light jacketed load for cast does work in what I've used it for. I will also say I didnt have perfect accuracy, but it was OK and served its purpose.

You could also use IMR 4064 in a 9mm if you knew the correct amount, but since it would perform absolutely terrible, the companies dont try it or publish it.

When you cant find a load to fit your powder from several different books, its a good bet that youre better off changing powders. Pick a powder thats listed in 3 or 4 different books and you will probly be alot happier with the results.
Old February 24, 2010, 10:18 AM   #4
reloader28

I didnt find it anywhere. That means it wasnt a good powder. They only print the best preforming powders for sake of room.

It looks like youre just taking the min jacketed load and using it for cast.

I'm going to get my butt chewed by everyone for saying this, but I have done that too.

If you did your homework and compared everything, using a light jacketed load for cast does work in what I've used it for. I will also say I didnt have perfect accuracy, but it was OK and served its purpose.

You could also use IMR 4064 in a 9mm if you knew the correct amount, but since it would perform absolutely terrible, the companies dont try it or publish it.

When you cant find a load to fit your powder from several different books, its a good bet that youre better off changing powders. Pick a powder thats listed in 3 or 4 different books and you will probly be alot happier with the results. I was.
Old February 24, 2010, 11:43 AM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

That's a very high load for lead 147gr, according to the Lyman 49th....

They list 147gr (#2 alloy), at 1.058 OAL, starting load 2.5gr, max 2.8gr.

I don't know how your bullet compares to the listed #356637 147grbullet in the maual and your OAL is considerably higher, but that seems like much too high for a starting load, in my humble, largely under-informed opinion.
Old February 24, 2010, 12:24 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

The problem is that 147 grain bullet is so long that when you seat it as deeply as your are talking about it leaves very little room for powder underneath. That raises pressure, sometimes dramatically.

This is a sore point with me about load manuals. They give COL's as if all bullet shapes the same weight have the same length and will seat the same distance into the case, all giving the powder the same starting volume to burn in. They don't. Short, stubby pistol cases add the problem that the primers often unseat the bullet and start pushing it forward before the powder pressure peaks, helping reduce pressure for slower powders, but not so much for faster ones that can keep up with the growing volume. I know of no way to predict this phenomenon. All you can do is work loads up slowly and carefully from the worst case.

If you want to use the same loads with other same-weight bullets, you have to make the seating depths match, not the COL. To determine seating depth, you need to know the lengths of the bullets you are comparing? If you have that information for the manual load's you are starting from, then:

Seating depth = case length + published load's bullet length - published load's COL

to find the COL for a different length bullet of the same weight from that seating depth, you just rearrange the formula to:

New COL = case length + new load's bullet length - Seating Depth found for manual load above.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; February 24, 2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old February 24, 2010, 04:45 PM   #7
HOBBY101

First I want to say thank you all for your input. I read all the posts and took them all into consideration. I did some more research last night on the internet. I came across another board and seen a couple of posts with recipes very similar to what I posted. I loaded my recipe and went to the range today. I had good results. I had two inch groups at 7 yards with a Hipoint C9 with zero malfunctions. Before you give me crap it's just a fun cheap range gun. Thanks again for the responses. Happy Shooting Hobby101
Old February 24, 2010, 05:44 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

Glad that worked out. I always consider recipe loading hazardous because of all the differences between components, some of which we discussed here. On another forum we just had a guy blow a slug gun barrel off its assembly lug with a factory slug recipe. Pointless when it only takes a few rounds to be entirely safe by backing the load down to something inadequate and making one round each up in .3 grain charge increments until you get to the desired recipe? You fire them in order of increasing charge, watching for pressure signs at each stage.

Recipes work out most of the time, but to avoid being part of that small percentage with broken guns or worse, the cost of the load work up is trivial.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 25, 2010, 09:17 AM   #9
Uncle Buck

Quote:
When you cant find a load to fit your powder from several different books, its a good bet that youre better off changing powders. Pick a powder thats listed in 3 or 4 different books and you will probly be alot happier with the results.
Most definitely agree with this statement.

Glad your loads worked out for you, but for the next guy that stumbles across this thread trying to find a recipe for his reloading experience, I hope he reads this statement.

I have three or four pounds of powder that I bought for one round/bullet recipe, but could not find it listed for other rounds/bullets.

I would rather not take the chance of ruining my gun/day using powders that are not listed, or using charges that are not recommended.
Old February 25, 2010, 01:09 PM   #10
HOBBY101

I wouldn't have used it if I hadn't found 3 or 4 other people saying that is what they used. Which is why I started this thread to find some re-loaders who might have tried it. I didn't find them on this forum but did on another. I appreciate all the input I received. I did as much research as I could using my manuals and internet. I felt the recipe was safe and proceeded. I didn't just make up a recipe and use it. Please don't think I'M reckless in any way. I would like to keep all of my fingers.

Last edited by HOBBY101; February 26, 2010 at 02:57 PM.

Tags
9mm , recipe , titegroup