The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 23, 2006, 07:09 PM   #1
phelpsj

Scopes?

Like I have said I am new at hunting. I am wanting to buy 2 scope but dont know what power to get. One is for a 30-06 that is going to be used for deer and elk in Co. and the other will be for a .223 for yote hunting. I would like to see what power scopes you guys use on you rifles. Thanks for the help.
Old February 23, 2006, 07:36 PM   #2
loggerhead

Location: Right of the Mississippi but South of the Mason Dixie line
No doubt the majority use 3x9-40 for hunting but in the south where a lot of hunting is done from stands, late in the day most use 3x9-50. The 50mm objective improves light gathering characteristics and allows for shots with less light. If it were me and I was gonna shoot cayotes in the day light with the 223 i would put a 3.5x10 or a 4x12-40 , nothing less than a 6-40.
For hunting out west you will be making not only long shots but shots with low light might come up so I would scope the 06 with something like a 4.5x14-50, nothing less than a 3x9-50.
Look for a scope that has a clear picture out to the edges, lay it on a sturdy rest and while looking through it move your head from side to side while watching the cross hairs on an object at the other end of the store or as far away as possible, note how much the cross hairs move on the target(paralex). Less is better for obvious reasons. When you go to buy shop, there is a lot of good quality glass out there that you can have without breaking the bank. However, I do reccommend spending as much as you can feel comfortable with. Also buy a good sturdy mount.
Old February 24, 2006, 02:40 PM   #3
jhgreasemonkey

I Agree With The Above Reply. I Hunt Washington State And Use A Burris 3x9-40 And Leupold 3x9-40. Both Work Excelent. One Year My Buddy Dropped My 7mm Rem. Mag. Off A Bank And It Dented The Burris Scope But It Still Workes Fine. I Also Have A Cheepo Bushnell 4x Scope I Bought At Kmart On One Of My Guns And It Works Okay Surprisingly. Im A Cheep Bastard And Got My Burris And Leopold Used For A Great Deal. I Know Some Stubborn Old Timers That Wont Pay More Than $50 For A Scope. We Make Fun Of Them But They Always Get A Deer.
Old February 24, 2006, 03:14 PM   #4
loggerhead

Location: Right of the Mississippi but South of the Mason Dixie line
monkey, I am one of those cheep bastards too. I have all sorts of scopes, including swarovski and leupold and I have had the best luck with the better grade Bushnells. My very first scope was a Bushnell Scope Chief with a camand post which I bought in 1960 and I still have it.
Was on a hunt out west once with a friend and his Swarovski fogged up, caused him to not get a shot at a good elk.
Old February 24, 2006, 05:30 PM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

On my '06 I've mostly used a Leupold Vari-X II 3x9x40. For no particular reason but curiosity I replaced it with a Simmons 44 Mag 3x10x44. It works okay. Dunno is it any better or any worse.

I moved the Leupold to my Ruger 77 Mk II .223. Has accounted for a bunch of turtle head-shots at 50-ish yards in a farm pond.

Art
Old February 24, 2006, 06:32 PM   #6
Jack O'Conner

I hunted mulies, antelope, and elk with an iron sighted carbine until age 20. Then I upgraded to a 2.5X Weaver I bought from CABELA's in 1972 for $29.95. I thought it was an okay scope until I handled a new rifle in 1992 equipped with a 4X TASCO scope. The brightness and clarity amazed me! My brother and I shared a 6X Redfield on our .243 Remington for many years. But it lost its seal due to age and fogged badly after about 15 years of faithful service.

TASCO was my focus for a few years until they switched from made-in-Japan to made by commies in China. Quality dropped when those red commie hands touched these products. I still have a 4X compact Japanese built TASCO that has never failed me despite sub-zero winds and the worst Dakota weather I've ever witnessed.

Simmons hit the scene in the early 1990's with slathering testimonials from one column writer after another. Yet I was not impressed by their out of focus edges and weird blob in the center of view. Redfield owned Simmons for a time. This all changed when Simmons was purchased by Meade Insturments a few years ago. Their clarity and focus exceeded my highest expectations and I bought their AETEC 2.8 to 10X model in 2003. Didn't take long to add a 2X-7X 44 MAG and 2X-7X Pro Hunter to my favorite carbines. Simmons makes a very good scope in my opinion.

3 years ago, the AETEC sold for $129. at cheaperthandirt.com. Now it sells for over $200. Part of that is the Bush Administration's devalueing of our currancy. Another part of it is the high cost of shipping due to fuel costs. But my point is that the AETEC is not a disposable cheapo scope.

I advise you to look toward Simmons for a quality scope. My best friend has a Bushnell Elite 3200 which I feel is equally worthy of your attention.

But plan to spend a whole lot more if you shoot a big booming magnum rifle. Magnums are tough on internal components. Besides over-priced ammo, magnums are costly rifles indeed.

My varmint outfit has a 4X-16X TASCO scope that is as predictable as the northern prevailing wind. But .223 is not a hard kicking cartridge and the internals should last and last.

Hope this is helpful.
Jack
Old February 24, 2006, 06:59 PM   #7
marks655

Medium-priced scopes:

I hear good things about Nikon and Burris.

Leupold seems to getting more expensive but I'm not sure the quality is as good with the recent re-design.

I have two older Leupolds, one older Burris, two newer Burris scopes (all Burris are Fullfield II) that are excellent.

The Burris 3x9x40m Fullfield II is a really nice scope for the money.
Old February 25, 2006, 07:48 AM   #8
youp

I don't know how you feel about supporting your local gunshop.

If you do most of your shopping at a mart, you should check out the gun auction sites. This is a good time of the year to pick up a yearend clearance Burris Fullfield II 3x9 for well under 200 dollars including shipping. e-Bay also has quite a few scopes being traded.

If you have a local gunshop, please try to patronize them. A good small shop is going the way of the passenger pigeon. Several years ageo I got a new Savage rifle, it has a round receiver. There were no mounts in the stores yet. My local shop took a set off a package rifle and sold them to me. Try to get that level of customer care at a mart. You will pay more for the products at a small store.
Old February 25, 2006, 11:45 AM   #9
MeekAndMild

Jack, I was wondering why the last Simmons I got was so much better than I'd hoped.

I'm pretty clumsy, so I've started using Burris, because it has a locking recticle and won't jar off target as easily as others.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old February 27, 2006, 01:44 PM   #10
Wild Bill Bucks

I use Simmons myself (Aetec) and don't have any trouble with them.
There are a lot of good scopes out there and you should buy the best you can afford. Everyone has an opinion on which one is the best, and you are only limited by the size of your wallet.
Bare in mind that if you own a rifle that cost's $500.00 and you put a scope that isn't a good one on it, then you have a $500.00 CLUB.
Your rifle will only shoot as good as you can aim it, so Buy the best you can afford.
Old February 27, 2006, 03:09 PM   #11
Fremmer

Quote:
3 years ago, the AETEC sold for $129. at cheaperthandirt.com. Now it sells for over $200. Part of that is the Bush Administration's devalueing of our currancy.
Yes, this is President Bush's fault, and Karl Rove [ KARL ROVE ] is well-known for his plot to devalue the US dollar and force hunters to spend more on scopes (so that Haliburton Corp. can earn more profits).

Golly, gimmie a break.
Old February 27, 2006, 03:17 PM   #12
Wisby

3x9x40 Bushnell Elite 3200 Glossy Ruger M77 .280
3x9x40 Bushnell Elite 3200 Silver Browning .270
3x9x40 Bushnell Elite 3200 Matte Remington 700 .270

Thats our Guns but we all Really Like Bushnell Elite 3200's
Old February 27, 2006, 05:44 PM   #13
riverrat66

I recently read about a Tasco Super Sniper rifle scope HERE . It got a decent review and for $300/$400 I might give one a try in the near future. Look at THIS here.

Of course everyone's got their favorite and nothing is going to change their mind. I've got scopes I've never even used, I buy them whenever I see them on sale. My best is a Leupold Vari X III 4.5x14-50 sitting on top of THIS Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse .300 win mag., then I have a couple Simmons', a couple Tasco's , 2 Bushnell's, a BSA and Leapers.

I'd love to own a Unertl Sniper Scope but I can't afford 2 grand for a rifle scope or a Nightforce but that too is out of my league! I might try one of those Tasco Super Sniper scopes on my M1A, the side focus model.

Quote:
"I would scope the 06 with something like a 4.5x14-50 and the .223 with a 3x9-40."
Ditto!

Last edited by riverrat66; February 28, 2006 at 12:19 AM.