The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 25, 2010, 09:13 PM   #1
diderr

45/70 494 grn load over pressure?

I just bought my Pedersoli 74 Sharps a few weeks ago. I developed a BP load and a smokeless load. I went off some load data I found online for the Benchmark. I've shot 15 rounds so far and have about 30 left. I charged it with 47 grains of benchmark with Remmy brass and a 494 cast seated out further than normal to about touching the lands. The load is not compressed, but the powder is touching the base of the bullet. I looked of the Hodgdon loading web sight and for a 485 cast (closest I could find) max is 43 grns, but that load is only 23,400 CUP. The Pedersoli is rated to 29,500 CUP. I'm not going to make more. I'm going with a 535 and IMR 3031
So i guess my question is 4 extra grains of Pow going to exceed my pressure limit?

Should I shoot off the rest?

What pressure signs should i look for in the rifle itself?

Recoil is pretty harsh, but I kind of expected that from a 500 grainer.

Accuracy was fair. I had some stringing left to right from me pulling.

There was a small amount of lead fouling. I wasn't using a gas check.

Thanks,
Old December 25, 2010, 09:46 PM   #2
hickstick_10

All signs are pointing you to back off on the load.

Leading, fair........not good accuracy...........and not reloading to the manual specs..................

Its your gun, but if it were me I would disassemble the loads.
Old December 25, 2010, 09:50 PM   #3
diderr

How do i remove the lead bullet with the crimp? I don't have a bullet puller.
Old December 25, 2010, 11:56 PM   #4
hickstick_10

you buy one, they're cheap.

Or you can get by, drilling a hole through a peice of wood thats the cartridge can slip through but the rim cant, secure with rubber band and smack against a workbench edge. Works just like an inertia puller. Then go buy a bullet puller after, you shouldn't be reloading without one IMHO. When you don't have a puller the temptation to shoot a questionable load might be a little strong

Last edited by hickstick_10; December 26, 2010 at 12:04 AM.
Old December 26, 2010, 12:13 AM   #5
diderr

To be honest I never needed one in the past. I've always loaded 2 grains below max and worked up never exceeding max. Sure it might have saved me one or two handloads in the past from seating to deep when adjusting a new die or for a new bullet. And trust me I've looked at one. Just never saw the need until now. I have 32 cartridges with this load, and don't want to risk life, limb, or a new rifle.

I can get this one locally.
Bullet puller
Old December 26, 2010, 08:04 AM   #6
eastbank

i would throw them in a deep hole in the river. eastbank.
Old December 26, 2010, 08:29 AM   #7
Hawg

Quote:
i would throw them in a deep hole in the river. eastbank.
Why throw away good brass?
Old December 26, 2010, 10:47 AM   #8
junkman_01

diderr,

Use a pair of pliers if you don't want to buy a puller. If you are going to buy a puller (which I advise you do) I recommend the Hornady or RCBS collet type. It will not deform your bullet (like the pliers will) and there is NO risk of detonating the primer or shattering the hammer type puller (first hand experience). HTH
Old December 26, 2010, 11:12 AM   #9
Jim Watson

Best not to extrapolate loads outside the published range.
Hodgdon stopped at 23,400 CUP instead of pushing on to 29,500 because the pressure was variable enough that they could not be sure of staying within limits for individual rounds.
Old December 26, 2010, 01:13 PM   #10
eastbank

i would throw them in the river as i have over 400 45-70 cases and it would not be worth the bother to me. in the future enjoy the 45-70 for what it is and buy a hoop-dee-do magnum for the hot stuff. eastbank.
Old December 27, 2010, 09:36 AM   #11
Hawg

A lot of people would say flattened primers would be a good indicator but that isn't always the case. Difficult extraction is a good indicator as is smoked cases.
I wouldn't exceed recommended charges for a bullet weight. Sometimes a grain or two means the difference between a safe charge and an unsafe one. Also a lead bulllet isn't going to perform as well with a maximum charge as a jacketed one will.
Old January 8, 2011, 07:19 PM   #12
mlr1m

Pliers

This will ruin your lead bullets.
With no dies in your reloading press put a loaded cartridge in the shellholder in the ram. Raise the ram so that the bullets is sticking out of the top of the press. Grasp the bullet with the pliers while lowering the ram and the bullet will come out.

Michael