The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 7, 2015, 10:14 PM   #1
AL45

Have you ever went after one gun and ended up with something else?

I have had my eyes on a 7 1/2" .454 Casull Ruger Super Redhawk for a long time, but have never seen one in any of the gun shops around here. Today I was looking for a semi-auto for conceal carry and lo and behold, there it was in the first gun shop I walked in. I handled it for a while and was certainly tempted, but I decided to stay on task. I already own a .45 Colt Blackhawk so I can't justify another similar caliber. Maybe I can catch the gun shop owner in a good mood and swap him straight across. Maybe he'll even throw in a few boxes of ammo. Maybe I need to quit dreaming.
Old August 8, 2015, 09:37 AM   #2
Bob Wright

Well, now the lastest bit of serendipity I have enjoyed came when I traded for this Colt New Frontier .44 Special:

I had been saving for a Colt New Frontier, and when I had my funds in order, I began a search. Found this one on line, but the owner worked an even trade with me, so still kept my funds. He was from out of state, so had to go through an FFL. On the day it was due to arrive, I killed time by visiting my local gun shop. there I found this gun, another Colt .44 Special New Frontier:

Now remember the gun coming in was an even trade, so still had the funds to buy this gem. So, that was a happy day for me.

Bob Wright
Old August 8, 2015, 09:46 AM   #3
peggysue

All the time
Old August 8, 2015, 09:48 AM   #4
Bob Wright

Well, let's see: Maybe ten, twelve years ago, I saw an ad in my paper advertising "some guns for sale" and mostly Rugers. I had money save up, and took about $500 cash with me to answeer the ad. The gent had several Ruger revolvers, as these:

They were Three Screw Ruger .357 Magnum Blackhawks, both converted by Ruger with the dreaded transfer bar conversion.

I asked the price, and the gent told me $200 for either one. I bought both.

I removed the transfer bar action from this one, fit a steel grip frame and ejector rod housing and stopped with that:

The short barreled one got a full treatment ~ removed the transfer bar action, converted to .44 Specilal, color case hardened, steel grip frame and ejector rod housing, new grips by CaryC:

Made a great day for me!

Bob Wright
Old August 8, 2015, 02:49 PM   #5
KMAX

Quote:
Have you ever went after one gun and ended up with something else?
More often than not.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old August 8, 2015, 03:44 PM   #6
Woodsman60

Yes. Last year I went into a gun shop to buy a new mk 3, but walked out with a new buck mark.
Old August 8, 2015, 03:58 PM   #7
Sevens

Went to pick up an inbound transfer on a 39-2 from my FFL and hit another gun shop right afterward and found a very clean 4006 so I went out for one S&W pistol and came home with two.

At the gun show a couple weeks before that, I couldn't make a deal on a Model 52 that pleased me (though I did find two of them and both were very nice) but I did see a Model 2206 that seemed like a solid buy. It's exterior condition was a bit rough but it should make a fine shooter.
Old August 8, 2015, 06:24 PM   #8
David R

Many times I plan on buying one and end up with 2.

I purchased a 6" K38 master piece and also walked out with a 2" chiefs special.

I went to try out a 6 Ruger security six and also left with a Browing buckmark with a V.... something custom barrel and comp.

Daviud
Old August 8, 2015, 06:36 PM   #9
UncleLoodis

AL45,

Usually, no, because I want what I want and I've researched it. BUT, there are always exceptions to my rules.

My suggestion is BUY IT! If you finally found something you can't normally readily obtain, and you have been looking for it, grab it while you can. I don't think I've ever regretted buying a new gun.

U.L.
Old August 8, 2015, 08:08 PM   #10
Bob Wright

Oh, yeah, nearly forgot: One afternoon I went to The Three Little Pigs here in Memphis for a BBQ and came home with a 2 1/2" S&W Model 19.

Bob Wright
Old August 8, 2015, 08:13 PM   #11
GLS_1956

Decades ago I went to a gunshow looking to come home with a 4 inch barreled S&W Model 24, in 44 Spl. I came home with a 4 inch S&W Model 25-5 in 45 Colt.
Old August 9, 2015, 07:03 AM   #12
jetinteriorguy

Definitely yes. I always have a pretty fair sized list of guns I'm looking for and may see two from the list at the same time. But if the one I want most isn't as good a deal as the other one I'll go for the better deal. I also went to the LGS to buy a nice little Ruger Wiley Clap but it had been sold and got my second choice, my S&W 627, which turned out to be the best gun I've ever had.
Old August 9, 2015, 07:28 AM   #13
CajunBass

No, but then I'm never "looking" for something.

But I know it when I see it.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old August 9, 2015, 08:46 AM   #14
osbornk

Quote:
Yes. Last year I went into a gun shop to buy a new mk 3, but walked out with a new buck mark.
And I went into a gun shop to buy a Baretta Neos and came home with a Mark III. The Baretta felt like a fragile toy and the Mk III felt like a solid piece of steel in comparison.
Old August 9, 2015, 09:42 AM   #15
Duster340

Yes sir. Had planned on getting a Redhawk (Been a Ruger fan since the 70's) then after my weekly trip to the range/LGS, the fella shows me a 4" 629. Was love and first touch LOL! Ended up coming home with me a few days later.
Old August 9, 2015, 10:47 AM   #16
DA/SA Fan

If I had enough money to get everything I want at once, I would never have that problem. Pricing and availability at the same time I have the $$$ change my plans constantly.
Old August 9, 2015, 02:22 PM   #17
DaleA

Quote:
and was certainly tempted, but I decided to stay on task.
Dang! Sounds like a recipe for DISAPPOINTMENT to me!!!

(Says Dale who can resist anything except temptation.)
Old August 9, 2015, 02:30 PM   #18
DaleA

Just an addendum on my previous post...something to contemplate.

You just might be able to find me in an old folks home (which might be sooner than I think) gumming my oatmeal supper and muttering "I coulda had a new in box (NIB) S&W Model 27 back in 1978 for $300 and I said I'd 'think about it' and then when I came back for it, it was gone!

Followed by drooling and tears. (shudder).
Old August 10, 2015, 10:27 AM   #19
Beagle45ACP

I've never gone out after a gun and come home with a different one, but on a few occasions I have gone out for lunch and bought a gun instead.

Wastin' away my future children's inheritance one box of ammo, range fee, and bottle of Hoppe's #9 at a time.
Old August 10, 2015, 06:43 PM   #20
Slimjim9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleA
Just an addendum on my previous post...something to contemplate.

You just might be able to find me in an old folks home (which might be sooner than I think) gumming my oatmeal supper and muttering "I coulda had a new in box (NIB) S&W Model 27 back in 1978 for $300 and I said I'd 'think about it' and then when I came back for it, it was gone!

Followed by drooling and tears. (shudder).
True, but something else to contemplate is that sooner or later it all goes back in the box
Old August 11, 2015, 06:18 PM   #21
Independent George

I started diving into Gunbroker auctions looking for a micro 9mm, and ended up with a Ruger GP-100.

Go figure.
Old August 13, 2015, 08:28 AM   #22
KyJim

I generally research my guns before buying. However, I have gone into a gun store on several occasions with no intent to buy anything and wound up with a new handgun. These were almost always used guns that I don't see a lot in this area. Examples:

S&W Model 547:

Colt .357 Magnum:

Colt Officers Model Special:

Colt Ultimate Officer:

Old August 13, 2015, 08:38 AM   #23
4V50 Gary
Staff

I like those rococo grips.
Old August 13, 2015, 10:09 AM   #24
2ndsojourn

Almost, just recently. In NJ you need a permit to purchase a handgun. My last permit expires in a couple weeks and I've been looking for a vintage S&W model 17 to (it seems) no avail. Last weekend I went to a gun show to continue the search and I see a Ruger Bearcat for an OK price. I figured I'd look around a bit more and come back and get it. For the kids, you know. As I'm finishing up looking, I come across a 17! He had four of 'em! Actually 2 were pre-17 K-22. Score!
Old August 13, 2015, 09:37 PM   #25
KyJim

Quote:
I like those rococo grips.
I'm not sure if you are referring to the grips on that Colt 1911. Those were from Esmeralda. She makes some fine grips.