The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 28, 2008, 05:03 PM   #1
remington master

whats so special

whats so special about over and unders/side by side, i mean on a semi auto you can hold more and you dont have to pump it.

Last edited by remington master; December 28, 2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old December 28, 2008, 05:11 PM   #2
bigghoss

Same reasons revolvers are still around: Simplicity, reliability, sentiment, romance, coolness factor; take your pick. I don't know why but I like semi's, pumps, singles, O/U's and SxS's. And I almost forgot levers and bolt actions. I haven't seen a type of shotgun I didn't want to own. Matter of fact I haven't seen any kind of gun I wouldn't want to own.

something else that is special is punctuation as opposed to running everything together into one long sentence with no thought that people have to read two or three times to understand what you mean when you can take an extra second to put together a coherent thought:barf:

Last edited by bigghoss; December 28, 2008 at 07:23 PM.
Old December 28, 2008, 05:21 PM   #3
gustav129

O/U are better looking, more of an artwork. I have a Laurona O/U on layaway. It's absolutely gorgeous. Will I shoot it, probably not, but I got it for Silver reciever with gold pheasants inlayed, black chrome barrels, and a really light colored stock, almost like a pine color.

Now you can't tell me that doesn't say "Sexy!" right there. Damn, I think I have to go use the boys room just talking about it. [grabs issue of Shotgun News]

Last edited by gustav129; December 28, 2008 at 05:28 PM.
Old December 28, 2008, 05:25 PM   #4
fisherman66

Quote:
whats so special about over and unders/side by side, i mean on a semi auto you can hold more and you dont have to pump it.
I've never seen a pump O/U or S/S.

How about shorter OAL or better balance for offhand shooting?
Old December 28, 2008, 05:39 PM   #5
rugerfreak

Way better handling---plus a choice of chokes with the flick of a lever or which trigger you pull.
Old December 28, 2008, 05:57 PM   #6
Creeper

The most special part of this thread... thanks for the laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigghoss
something else that is special is punctuation
C
Old December 28, 2008, 06:15 PM   #7
BigJimP

Choke Options - on an O/U you can select different chokes in the field, sporting clays.

Weight of gun - the heavier the gun the less recoil. Most Semi-Autos and pump guns are around 7 1/2 lbs max / where you may like an 8 1/2lb gun for general use in the field, sporting clays, skeet - or even a gun that approaches 10lbs in Trap.

Reliability - no feeding issues on shells. If you can stuff a shell into the chamber of an O/U and close the gun, it will probably fire. You can't say that on semi-autos or pumps necessarily.

Quicker on 2nd shot - O/U's are almost instantaneous on 2nd shot - vs cycling time on a pump or semi-auto.

Durability - less moving parts on an O/U and less wear - so most well built O/U's will go many tens of thousands of shells without a rebuild - and you can't say that about semi-autos or pumps

Reloading - if you reload your shells - you don't have to pick hulls up in the dirt, brush, get them wet, etc - they go from the gun to your vest.

Stock configuration options - there are more monte carlo stocks, more adjustable combs, more forend options on a variety of O/U's than on many pump guns or semi-autos. There are more "wood" options - if you want a special stock on an O/U there are more companies making models with options than they do on pump guns or semi-autos.

Cons - semi-autos and pump guns hold more shells / avg pump gun price is probably $500 / avg semi-auto price is probably $ 1,000 - $ 2,000 / avg long term O/U is $ 2,500 - $3,500 ( Browning or Beretta ) - but in my view the O/U's pro's outweigh the cons.

All good reasons to select an O/U over a pump gun vs a semi-auto - in my opinion. But personally, I own some of each / shoot whatever I want.
Old December 28, 2008, 06:17 PM   #8
Csspecs

Choke choice, quick two shots, easy to save your hulls.

Thats about it.
Old December 29, 2008, 09:04 AM   #9
redlevel42

I used to quail hunt with a Browning Sweet Sixteen back in the early seventies. It was a quail killing machine. I finally came to my senses and went back to the 20 gauge Parker, manufactured in 1916 I believe, that belonged to my Great Uncle. The Parker is semi-retired now, and I use a Browning BSS Sporter in 20 gauge. I have a 20 gauge Remington 11-87 semi "Upland Special" I use from time to time, but I only load two shells in it.

I prefer sxs shotguns because that is what I learned with, because of the tradition (especially here in the South), and because of the superior handling characteristics.

I think I have read where many of the quail hunting "plantations" in South Georgia allow nothing larger than a 20 gauge, and limit semi-autos to only two shells.
Old December 29, 2008, 10:36 AM   #10
zippy13

BigJimP is right on the mark on describing the attributes of double guns.

A top break double advantage, not already mentioned, is its ability to receive tubes for smaller gauges. This is not a big deal if you're a single gauge guy, but for Skeet, or hunting where a 12-ga is overkill, tubes are certainly something to consider.

If you're a competitive shooter or serious hunter, there's a mental side to a double gun, too. The inherent reliability of a gun that starts out with both biscuits already in the basket is a confidence builder over stick gun that may jamb. And, a confident shooter is going to develop into a better shooter.

If you think the reliability and quick second shot of a double aren't that important, consider a "safari" rifle. If you're going where large local critters think of you as lunch, or an annoyance to be squashed, wouldn't you select a double?
Old December 29, 2008, 01:25 PM   #11
redlevel42

I have also known hunters who loaded the right barrel with one kind of shells, say #8, and loaded the left barrel (usually the tighter choke) with #6 for the further out second shot.

I have known bird hunters who kept buckshot in one barrel when they were bird hunting during deer season. "Just in case," don't you know.
Old December 29, 2008, 03:09 PM   #12
darkgael

double guns

"because of the superior handling characteristics."
Ain't that the truth. No other gun that I own (pumps, semis) points like a double. To go a step further, IMHO, none point as well as an old Parker SXS that I'm fond of. I'll be using it tomorrow with any luck at all.
Pete
Old December 29, 2008, 05:56 PM   #13
strat81

Nothing says "Get off my lawn" or "Marry my daughter" quite like the business end of a SxS.
Old December 29, 2008, 09:35 PM   #14
skeeter1

Quote:
"I prefer sxs shotguns because that is what I learned with, because of the tradition (especially here in the South), and because of the superior handling characteristics."
That's what I cut my teeth on, too, and I've tried pumps, but they're just not the same. In defense of the pumps, they're one heck of a lot cheaper. Good doubles, S/S or O/U are all expensive. On the plus side, they hold up their value well. My SKBs have quadrupled in value during the time I've owned them.
Old December 29, 2008, 09:44 PM   #15
oneounceload

a perfectly balanced SxS is a joy not only to behold, but to swing on the bird. Some nice engraving, top-quality finishing, barrels that ring like a bell when struck with a fingernail.....yep, no pump or auto can come close

Tags