The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 2, 2014, 12:45 PM   #26
Dr. A

I agree about preferring a 308, but the BLR's terrible trigger was a limiting factor for me. I have both of them. No contest for accuracy either.
Old February 5, 2014, 12:55 AM   #27
tahoe2

94 Big Bore

But then I'm a 375 fan, which is also a reloading proposition, the 308 ME is no slouch either, but I hunt a lot of tight timbers and love my 375.
that 308 Express will reach out a lot further though. It's all about reloading with either one.
Old February 5, 2014, 01:28 AM   #28
Quincunx

Winchester tried the 307 win and 356 win, which were basically a rimmed 308 and 358 loaded with round nose bullets back in the 1970's.

Flatnose, actually.
Old February 5, 2014, 04:41 AM   #29
dos0711

Personally, I'd stick with a lever rifle in more conventional calibers.
Old February 5, 2014, 05:04 PM   #30
dgludwig

Variety is the spice of life! Love my Savage Model 99 rifle chambered in .358 Winchester.
Old February 13, 2014, 05:02 PM   #31
jennyfell55

So I'm a bit late on this, but wanted to add my two cents. I purchased a Marlin 308MX several years ago, and I couldn't be happier. I've never had a problem finding ammo for it as long as I stick to the larger stores, and occasionally find it at smaller shops as well. Never had to pay more than about $26 for 20 of the 160gr LEVERevolution rounds. It's more accurate than I am, and a joy to shoot. Very mild recoil which is a nice bonus I love the combination of traditional lever action looks with the ability to reach out and touch further out than a 30-30
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marlin smaller.jpg (211.8 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by jennyfell55; February 13, 2014 at 05:09 PM.
Old February 18, 2014, 06:33 AM   #32
1ruralmailman

i have a 308mx and love it.it is accurate,way more than i am,and capable of really reaching out there when called on.to those who think it is just a jazzed Up 30-30,well i suppose it is,but it is way jazzed.they deliver a knockdown punch that has to be seen to appreciate.
as to availability of ammo that is the one bite in the pants.i just reload and bought enough components to last my lifetime.heck have you found any 243,or even 22 shells lately at a gunstore,i havent and i have looked fairly regularly.
Old February 18, 2014, 01:07 PM   #33
Unlicensed Dremel

Oh dear...

The purpose of leverguns is short & handy. Long ones defeat the purpose.

The cartridge is dead, for good reason (just a re-branded .307 win ain't it, in essence?)

Either one of those is sufficient reason to pass, but particularly the first one.

YMMV.
Old February 18, 2014, 07:12 PM   #34
dgludwig

Quote:
The purpose of leverguns is short & handy. Long ones defeat the purpose.
Where did you come up with this "definition" of a lever-action rifle? "Defeats the purpose" of what? Many lever-action rifles of the past, certainly including the Winchester Model 88, the Sako Finnwolf, the Browning BLR and the Savage Model 99, have been chambered successfully in relatively long-range cartridges that perform every bit as well as equivalent bolt-action rifles-and with the same length barrels. And lever-actions have no corner on carbines.
A hearty welcome to The Firing Line, Unlicensed Dremel.
Old February 19, 2014, 06:03 PM   #35
Unlicensed Dremel

Ahhh, well, fair enough. I must agree with that. Hmmm, lemme think about why I feel that levers are intrinsically short/handy (or should be).. then get back with ya. Maybe I'm way off base.