The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 11, 2012, 02:51 PM   #1
bighead46

Win Polyformed Shotshells

I have a bunch of 12 gauge Winchester Dove & Quail game loads, they are standard 2 3/4" length. These are the cheap loads sold in Walmart, etc. I need some loading data for 7 1/2 or 8 shot.- for trap range practice.
Old August 11, 2012, 04:01 PM   #2
oneounceload

You need to determine what size of load and powder - go to both Alliant's and Hodgdon's websites - you will find the recipe there.

Realize that there are clone wads from Claybuster, Downrage, Windjammer and others that will work in the recipes exactly the same as the factory OEM wads, but they are half the cost. Also realize that many primers can be substituted for another, especially the Win209, Nobel Sport 209 and Fiocchi 616.

For your shoulder's sake and to lower cost, you should seriously look at reloading either a 1oz load or even a 7/8oz for practice - lead is now the most expensive component - this will save you money and will reduce recoil
Old August 11, 2012, 06:08 PM   #3
rg1

I never have had any luck loading the Win polyformed Dove and Quail hulls. It's hard to get a good crimp. Some of the crimp seems to always have mashed folds. With the cost of components and lead shot I'd just find good quality target hulls to load.
Lyman Shotshell Reloading Handbook #5 says with the Win Polyformed Plastic hull with a yellow plastic basewad and 6 fold crimp that:
"Loading data for the 12 gauge Winchester HS case and the 12 gauge Winchester Compression formed case will be interchangeable with this case". So if your polyformed case has this yellow plastic basewad you can find data on-line. Lyman's 4th Edition lists two polyformed Win hulls. One with a high paper basewad and the other with the plastic basewad and data varys between the two. If your Dove and Quail hulls are old they could have a paper basewad?