The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 8, 2011, 09:26 PM   #1
DeerSlayer86

Long range Shooting 6.5x47 Lapua

Just want to know what you guys think of this hot little round. Lapua introduced it in 2007 pretty much around the same time the other newish 6.5s came out. I had recently read a little about it and had a chance to actually shoot one last week. It was unreal...So if I were to pinch pennies for a while would you recommend going for it or staying traditional 300 win mag or something like that? Think about this before you answer: The BC of 6.5 140gr Berger VLD is .612. To get that out of a .30 your looking at shooting 210 gr Berger VLD...crazy right?
Old October 8, 2011, 10:22 PM   #2
Scorch

Look at your intended application and decide if you need it. Because really, if you are going for long range, high velocity+high BC gives flat trajectory. If you are looking at somewhat standard velocities, there are lots of options (260 Rem or 6.5X55, for example), no need to go to a specialized benchrest cartridge. If instead you are looking at flattest shooting, 6.5X284 Norma might fit your needs. Decide where you are going first, that way when you get there, you'll recognize it.

I am currently in the final stages of a 22-6mm build for a customer, it launches 90 gr Berger VLDs (.551 BC) at 3400-ish fps (-19.6 MOA @ 1000 yds). Shoots flatter than the 6.5X47mm Lapua (140 gr at 2,700 fps, -31.4 MOA @1000 yds), heck it shoots flatter than a 300 Win Mag with 190 gr SMK (3,100 fps, -24.8 MOA @ 1000 yds)!
Old October 8, 2011, 10:31 PM   #3
DeerSlayer86

I know theres no "need" for a specialized round...just thought it would make a custom build more fun ay know? Plus the tinkering with reloads is a plus. I really have no interest in the larger magnums like the .30 cals but thats what everyone wants to tell you get. 22-6mm? Ill have to check that thing out sounds pretty awesome!
Old October 8, 2011, 10:43 PM   #4
Scorch

I agree, sometimes different is fun. Heck, that's pretty much what I do, I offer my customers something different, and they like it. But different is only fun if that's where you wanted to go in the first place.

And yes, 22-6mm is awesome. You need a fast twist barrel to take advantage of the heaviest bullets, but man, at a mile it is still cooking!
Old October 9, 2011, 08:36 AM   #6
tobnpr

"Cool" factor is all good..but you had better keep in mind it may come at a price..

Do some research on this caliber. Depending on how hot you load, how often you shoot, and the accuracy you're demanding (like comps) you may be replacing or at least setting back that barrel every couple thousand rounds...

This caliber would be a big no for me. Just not worth the extra expense and being without the rifle for weeks/months while the gunsmith has it.

I would take the other suggestions above in a heartbeat over the Lapua. The necked-down .30's (.260, 7-.08) will probably shoot better than you can and be easier on your rifle.
Old October 9, 2011, 08:48 AM   #7
ndking1126

Quote:
but thats what everyone wants to tell you get
And when you out shoot them with your 6.5 and don't leave with a bruised shoulder, you can wear that smile all the way home

I'm building a .260 Rem right now. The bigger bullets do have more energy which would be useful for long range hunting, but if you are just putting holes in paper... like you already pointed out, the ballistics are just as good.
Old October 9, 2011, 09:50 AM   #8
M.O.A.

THE 6.5s make great hunting rounds with the right bullets there are a bunch of nice videos on utube of long range hunting with 6.5s
Old October 9, 2011, 11:19 AM   #9
DeerSlayer86

Thanks for all the input guys...some variation of the 6.5 I think is the way I want to go. And about the cool factor...that's personally why I do a custom build. To have something unique. Otherwise, what's the point? That's my opinion thanks for all of yours