The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 15, 2007, 08:37 PM   #51
jsr76

Humility can be embarrassing.

Thank you for the kind scolding on my improper approach. I will not try to justify something I can't explain quickly. My problem is that I haven't found any data using RL-22 with the 168 TSX. I do have access to data for the original X bullet. Using a mid range load for the X, I tried on the TSX. Barnes claims that it usually takes 1-2 more grains of powder to build the same pressure for the TSX. Their friction is lowered by the rings. However in my case the pressure seems to reach pretty early. This could be my barrel, seating long, or many other variables. I learned a lesson on this one that I have never encountered before. I learned that these all copper bullets act much different than lead bullets. After seeing what can happen if you try to save a little time, or think you've done it long enough to assume things, I don't recomend it. Thanks for the wake-up call. I appreciate the information and advice I gain here so please don't think I'm totally stupid. I just tried to figure something out on my own. Today I have learned a little about humility.
Old April 15, 2007, 09:50 PM   #52
Pointer

Shoney
Quote:
I CRY FOUL
The man is very wealthy... and travels extensively for his hunting...
Alaskan, Canada etc... I don't know if he went to Manchuria, but I almost went there myself for a two bull guided hunt...

I want to be fair to him... He may have gone from the old style X bullets to the TSX somewhere in between... and I probably jumped to the conclusion that he had killed all his elk with the same bullet model...

He was very knowledgeable and I think he was credible...

Sorry I mislead you... but I think this one is "my bad".

30-06 FOREVER
Old April 16, 2007, 12:49 AM   #53
ob_1jr

I took a moose with 180 grain TSX at about 125 yards....bullet weighed 174 grains when I recovered it. I had a double lung hit on a decent sized cow. I shot her with a 300 RUM. My dad just got a 300 WM and I have loaded some barnes for his, some being the 168 grainers. He hasn't got a chance to shoot them though. Here are some pics of the TSX I shot my moose with. I was using H4831SC. I think I loaded some of my dad's WM rounds with the same powder. You could always e-mail barnes and they will send you reloading data since it is not published in a book.

Here's the moose that got dropped in it's tracks. The lungs were like coffee grinds. (yes, I know any bullet could have done the same)When I dropped off the 4 quarters and loose meat minus the backstraps and tenderloins, it was right about 400 lbs. The legs were cut off at the first nuckle or knee if you prefer.

Here is a link to the barnes site with load data for the 300 WM. It doesn't list RL-22 on there, but that doesn't mean you can't work a load up with it. http://www.barnesbullets.com/images/300WinMagWeb.pdf

Old April 19, 2007, 05:46 PM   #54
jsr76

dgc940

I did recieve you're message and checked out the link. I tried to reply via private message but I don't know if it worked. Thank you for the refference and I'm sure we will chat again.
Old May 4, 2007, 08:09 PM   #55
jsr76

I have come to a conclusion. The Barnes TSX is without equal when it comes to high impact pressures. It is perfect for large game and it is perfect for big magnums. If you have anything else to say I am all ears. If not I'll use them for my .300 Win.
Old May 16, 2007, 07:21 PM   #56
jsr76

Well,I guess sometimes different components work. I tried H4831 with the Barnes TSX 168 in the old .300 Win. Mag. and it performed well. I used data from Barnes for their X bullets. It seems to me the loads acted just as advertised, with only the maximum listed load acting just slightly over powered. The very top of the bolt lift was a little stiff. That's okay though as the load that was one grain milder shot the best of all. I could and might play some more but I don't think a one grain drop in powder of this speed will lose much. I have no chronograph so I'll never miss the speed. I used increments of 1 whole grain per jump while testing. Now I'll take my selected load and run up in tenths just to find best accuracy. I'm very impressed now. Once I got to the loads that would be noticeably warmer than the 30-06, the accuracy came to life. .700s .600s .800s. Not bad for a magnum hunting rifle. I'm happy now. That's my current update.