The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old June 2, 2002, 11:46 PM   #1
HKguy9

Anyone compete in Back-Up Gun Division in IDPA?

Anyone?
Old June 3, 2002, 07:29 AM   #2
braindead0

I did my first COF in BU gun division..technically. I may compete in BUG division if our local place decides to run any, but there doesn't seem to be too much interest in it.
Old June 3, 2002, 09:14 AM   #3
Jim Watson

Not a real common event, but I shoot in them whenever offered. One area club did a Progressive BUG Blast last year with a BUG event at every regular match for several months.
As you might expect, the biggest gun allowed does best. Things like Colt OACP, Glock 26, and 3" K-frame .38s. I did well in the BUG Blast shooting my Colt Government .380, second only to an Expert with a Glock. A friend with an old Colt Pocket .32 did very well, too.

Tough DA triggers and DA-SA transition on things like PPKs and Makarovs hurt their performance on the range.
Snubby .38s were pretty well out of contention.

We ought to do more. BUG matches can teach you a lot about your convenient hideout guns.
Old June 3, 2002, 10:21 AM   #4
vincent

Our club recently held an all BUG match and it was pretty fun. As mentioned it really makes you realize the weaknesses of the smaller guns. The IDPA rules say you can only have 5 round strings for BUG scenarios which I don't understand. Since so many people actually carry these guns, testing reload skills seems like a good idea. Anyway we followed the 5 shot rule and the match was still fun. Since I support bending the rule on 5 shot strings, I would recommend just taking your BUG legal pistol out to a local match and shooting it. The experience is worth it.
Old June 3, 2002, 11:09 AM   #5
braindead0

Just like to point out, my first COF I shot with a Makarov in .380 and got -0 on both strings (12rds first string, 18 second). The DA/SA transition on my mak isn't all that bad, I did cleanup and polish the trigger quite a bit thought.

Just wanted to stand up for the Mak ;-)
Old June 3, 2002, 12:21 PM   #6
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

We run BUG stages now and again but not as a rule. We generally don't do reloads etc. Wish we did. A lot of people carry what the rules call "Bugs". Lets face it there are a LOT of people toting J-Frames and PPK's.

I use a Pa-63 or an SP101.

I have brought my Colt .25 before (talk about a last resort) But I only have 1 mag for it.
Old June 3, 2002, 01:05 PM   #7
RickB

We do a BUG stage about every other match. Since a lot of people don't have IDPA-legal holsters or multiple mags/speedloaders for their BUG, we have the option of starting at low ready, and keep the round count low.