The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 17, 2005, 03:05 PM   #1
Ribbler

Looking for the Right Reloading Equipment...

As I mentioned in another thread I'm new to reloading. I'm looking to buy reasonably good equipment to get started with. Rn22723 posted a list of items that I'll need. One of these included a press. For someone who is looking to load (initially) .40 S&W pistol rounds would the following following be sufficient as a press? A waste of money? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...127372726&rd=1
Old January 17, 2005, 04:29 PM   #2
rn22723

Do yourself a favor! Buy once and cry once!

RCBS you want the Rock Chucker or Turret
Redding you want the Boss or Turret
Hornady Lock N Load
Lyman Crusher 2
Bonanza Coax

All presses use the same size dies so they are universal. Shellholders are universal, except the Bonanza Coax and all progressive presses.
Old January 17, 2005, 04:38 PM   #3
Ribbler

Thanks again RN. Is Ebay a good place to pick these up or should I look elsewhere?
Old January 19, 2005, 03:14 AM   #4
41special

For reloading auto rounds like 40 S&W, I definately recommend a turret or progressive press. That single stage is going to burn you out.

I also recommend a good powder measure.

Like anything else, grab a good reloading book first, then spend your money wisely once.

Ebay is fine if the stuff is in good condition, try to find a store around you that stocks reloading equipment and get your hands on some of it, so you know what you may want to invest in.

www.midwayusa.com

An old west lawman once said when asked why he carried a .45, "because they don't make a .46"
Old January 19, 2005, 05:38 AM   #5
Leftoverdj

Shipping will kill you on ebay. Look locally. Gun club newsletters and classified shoppers are a good place to look. Gun shows vary wildly. If you have a senior center in your area, put a notice on their bulletin board that you are looking. Widows are often delighted to get their dead husband's junk out of the garage at any price. Their final revenge, as it were.

The RCBS Rockchucker is pretty much the best press you can reasonably expect to find used and cheaply, but you can run into some amazing deals when someone dies or gives up on reloading. If you run into a big job lot for $50, it don't much matter what the press is. Almost anything will do for loading .40 S&W. If you get started on the cheap, you can upgrade when you find out what you need or want.
Old January 19, 2005, 08:36 AM   #6
Thirties

"Thanks again RN. Is Ebay a good place to pick these up or should I look elsewhere?"

Remember, Ribbler, eBay is a sellers' market.

Make sure you've priced these items new delivered to you through discount supply houses such as Mid-South Shooters' Supply, Graf & Sons, Natchez, MidWay, Cabella's, etc. Then you can compare what is available including shipping on eBay in questionalbe condition, with maybe not all the manuals and doo-dads included, to what you can buy new — not "like new" — yourself from a dealer.

I didn't read your ealier thread, but if you decide on a single stage or turret press, you will never regret buying a fine Redding T7 turret press. Even if and when you get into a progressive press for high volume loading of a particular caliber, the Redding turret press will be something you will continue to use for small batches and working up loads.

For my use, I don't need a progressive for the 200-300 rounds per month, maximum, (different calibers combined) that I use.

Loading your own, as I'm sure others have told you, is quite a satisfying addition to a pistol hobby. You have much to look forward to indeed!

Old January 19, 2005, 11:22 AM   #7
Jailbirdwatcher

Looks like pretty high prices on E-Bay. You might be better served to shop local flea markets, or want ad tabloids, or just buy new. The advice already given in this thread is solid. In my opinion