The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 29, 2011, 12:52 PM   #1
PDW292

Selling Firearms and serial numbers

I am selling a firearm, in this case a revolver, but this question could apply to any firearm. The potential purchaser has contacted me by email, and he would like the serial number, I purchased the gun new from a dealer, so I have no concerns, but is there some reason I have not thought of why I would not give out this info to someone online? not trying to be paranoid, just covering all bases. Thanks Paul
Old September 29, 2011, 01:21 PM   #2
johnbt

Just send them 1234xx or whatever and be done with it. That should get them close enough to the year or model or whatever.

John
Old September 29, 2011, 01:23 PM   #3
Pahoo

Not paranoid, just private and protective.

Quote:
but is there some reason I have not thought of why I would not give out this info to someone online?
Well then, I would ask; Is there a good reason why he wants this information before you conclude your transaction and what if the sale falls through. It's certainly your call but under the given conditions, I would not. ...
Ask him why he needs this into and there might be a good reason. He may have access to a data base that would help him and it may be on the up and up. He may just want to establish the date of manyfacture but you certainly can do that yourself or give him just the first numbers. I might also add that I have never given this information out nor has it ever been asked of me. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old September 29, 2011, 01:24 PM   #4
Stressfire

Not paranoid, especially if it was purchased new by you. It's your name on that 4473, remember. At least it should be

Just give everything except the last 2 digits - buyer probably just wants to check for dates of manufacture, recalls, et cetera.

Out of curiosity, whatcha selling?
Old September 29, 2011, 02:55 PM   #5
aarondhgraham

I would never give out the complete serial number,,,

I know this sounds far fetched, but just suppose.

You give me the entire number,,,
I turn that number in as stolen from my storage sometime in the last two years.

I call the cops and say you have my gun.

I can't think of any reason he would need the entire serial number,,,
Except to have someone run the number to ensure it isn't a stolen gun.

I just would not do it.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old September 29, 2011, 03:18 PM   #6
johnbt

"I turn that number in as stolen from my storage sometime in the last two years.

I call the cops and say you have my gun."

Go ahead, then you end up screwed for filing a false report. Won't that be fun for you. LOL
Old September 29, 2011, 04:12 PM   #7
aarondhgraham

Hello johnbt,,,

You're missing the point my friend.

People who scam don't care that they are breaking the law,,,
It's a meaningless prohibition to them.

Certainly "I" am not going to do that,,,
But someone out there just might.

My point is that there is no legitimate reason,,
That would require you to give out a complete serial number.

Far fetched, yes,,,
Completely improbable, no.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old September 29, 2011, 04:34 PM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondgraham
I know this sounds far fetched, but just suppose.

You give me the entire number,,,
I turn that number in as stolen from my storage sometime in the last two years.

I call the cops and say you have my gun.
This is why many people mask out serial numbers when posting photos of their firearms, and routinely own firearms with serial numbers the last two digits of which are always 'xx.'
Old September 29, 2011, 06:34 PM   #9
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Just send them 1234xx or whatever and be done with it.
+1. I wouldn't give them the entire serial number. A partial will get them what info they want.
Old September 29, 2011, 11:46 PM   #10
medalguy

This scenario has been around for years. Does anyone have ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE of anyone, any time, anywhere, claiming a gun was theirs simply because they got a serial number from a picture? Anyone? I seriously doubt it.
Old September 30, 2011, 12:08 AM   #11
PDW292

Hey Stressfire it's a Ruger Blackhawk 45lc.

The claiming I stole it from him scenario doesn't concern me, as I said I bought this new, still have my receipt. As Stressfire mentioned, it is my name on the 4473. Typical armslist sale, after about 15 emails sent him the serial number, minus the last 2 digits, haven't heard anything since.
Old September 30, 2011, 07:36 AM   #12
Uncle Buck

In this particular case, you have documentation showing you bought it and hopefully e-mails from the purchaser in which he asks you for the serial number. It would backfire on him if he did try to file a stolen police report.

I would tell him upfront you are uncomfortable giving him the serial number. He may just want to try to have it run through a stolen gun system. (There is another thread about having the gun your buying from a private individual, as opposed to a dealer, checked out.

Also, the guy could be a number collector. I had a friend who would not own a gun unless it had three "0"'s in it. All sorts of non-nefarious reason someone could want the number.
Old October 1, 2011, 12:09 PM   #13
Crazy88Fingers

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement has a website where you can enter the serial number of a firearm and check their database to see if it's stolen. So, for something like that, he would need the complete number.

Just send him the partial number. And if he's insistent and seems serious about buying, consider giving the full number.
Old October 1, 2011, 12:56 PM   #14
Stressfire

Quote:
Hey Stressfire it's a Ruger Blackhawk 45lc.

The claiming I stole it from him scenario doesn't concern me, as I said I bought this new, still have my receipt. As Stressfire mentioned, it is my name on the 4473. Typical armslist sale, after about 15 emails sent him the serial number, minus the last 2 digits, haven't heard anything since.
First off, oooh, pretty

Second, yeah all but last few #s will give him the info he wants without being traceable to you. Gotta watch, especially with the 'net sales.
Old October 1, 2011, 07:10 PM   #15
johnbt

"You're missing the point my friend."

No I didn't. As you said, if you did that to me, well, no harm would come to me, but I would apply myself to getting even. It's simply not that easy to get a fairly well established person into trouble with an off the wall bs claim. It might be inconvenient, but nothing would come of it. And I wouldn't just forget the attempt and walk away.

John
Old October 1, 2011, 07:39 PM   #16
.wheelgunner.

It's silly paranoia to think that someone will misuse your serial number somehow. Go look at gunbroker. Hundreds of those guns clearly show the serial number.

I defy anyone to show where anyone has ever created a problem re a hijacked serial number. If that were the case, we'd hear about it instead of mere internet legend.

The prospective buyer probably just wants to run the number through a stolen gun database. I usually wait till after I buy the gun, but his way is better.

However, I wouldn't give him the information just because I'm stubborn.
Old October 1, 2011, 07:51 PM   #17
Chaz88

Funny this thread showed up. I was just looking at the guns for sale forums and was wandering why everyone goes to so much trouble to hide serial numbers. The only things that came to mind is the gun is not registered to you and you think you might need a "stinger" at some point or people think that big brother is collecting the numbers from the net for a secret registry.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old October 2, 2011, 01:25 AM   #18
youngunz4life

he probably wants to see if it is stolen, but it is possible he is someone who won't even follow thru anyways. I myself would just say I'd be willing to give out the serial# over email once we were sure the deal was going to be done. If he has a problem with that, he can buy somewhere else. The email would protect him after the sale to show I was being honest and to back him up if the # was 'bad'. Of course I know he'll eventually find out the said serial # is a non-issue after-the-fact.

It probably isn't even an issue. I just wouldn't want to give out that information by choice(just like many others don't care and post it in their pictures), and by reading the thread it seems a rare occurence at best.