The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old July 5, 2013, 10:00 AM   #26
smee78

Its silly how someones good time gets turned into someones gripe fest about safety "Dude! Where the hell is the eye protection for the kids?" I'm sure everyone is aware that good safety measures need to be in place but I would not canx a shooting trip if the eye protection was left at home. The safety police need to give it a rest.

I'm glad the OP got to get in some quality time at the range, some of the best times I ever had was with the family at a friends out door range plinking.
Old July 5, 2013, 02:19 PM   #27
creightonenterprises

That is really a special time with the family. I had the pleasure to take my 3 grandsons to the range to shoot pistols for the 1st time. It really does make you proud!
Old July 6, 2013, 03:16 PM   #28
Unspoken

Thought about it.
I don't want to live like Helen Keller.
Old July 10, 2013, 12:04 AM   #29
Gbnk82

Congrats on your boys first trip to the range.i cant wait intil the day my daughter is old enough to take out shooting.i currently have a remington 597 .22lr that will be passed down as her first gun when she is old enough and mature enough to handle it..i think 9 is a very good age to learn i plan on teaching my daugheter at about 8 i learned when i was about 6 or 7 but iti all depends on maturity level..it has to be a proud day for a father and im excited for it to come im sure you where in your glory that day and you and your son will always cherish it..
Old July 24, 2013, 11:20 AM   #30
trkkshotbry

That's awesome man. My 3 kids all started young (around 5) with my 22 rifle handed down through 4 generations now. Its a 1936 Savage 87A that starts off locked in single shot mode. My oldest daughter (11) can shoot very well and the youngest (5) can hit a half inch bullseye 7 out of 10 at 10yds. Thats great for a 5 yr old in my opinion. Theyve started watching each other for safety violations and its great to hear one of them remind the other to keep it pointed downrange.
Burning ammo and making memories is my favorite part of summer break with them.
It was awesome to watch my 11 yr old girl outshoot her older male cousin (13) in an impromptu shooting match last month. He started off talking smack but by the 3rd shot he had shut up and was eager for some coaching from Uncle Bryan.
Old July 24, 2013, 10:15 PM   #31
jimmythegeek

Shoot like a girl...if you CAN!!!

My eldest is a girl and she can shoot some. I haven't scored a target recently though.
Old July 24, 2013, 10:31 PM   #32
Torch

Great pics and video. Looks like fun was had by all.

Anytime one of my kids has a gun in hand I break out the safety gear. One can never be too safe!