The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 20, 2015, 07:12 AM   #1
bspillman

Shotgun sites

Looking for some good affordable sites for my HD shotgun. It does not have a vent rib just a plain bead front site. I'm not looking for tactical dodads or anything. Night sites or hiviz sites may be ok. What do you guys recommend? Thanks.
Old March 20, 2015, 08:42 AM   #2
g.willikers

Some manufacturers offer barrels with sights.
Might be less expensive to get one of those, if available.
Otherwise, a receiver mounted rear sight and replacement front sight will be required.
Some are easier than others to install.
Just check with the usual sources, like Midwayusa, Brownells, 'etc.
Old March 20, 2015, 02:16 PM   #3
Bake

There are a number of "Glow in the dark" sights. Just unscrew the front bead, and screw in a replacement. Your eye will serve as the rear sight.

Then see below....
Old March 20, 2015, 03:29 PM   #4
FITASC

Since you should be pointing your shotgun, your focus should be on the intruder and which way he is moving, not a glow worm. JMO, YMMV
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 20, 2015, 04:01 PM   #5
BigJimP

I suggest you keep it - as it is ..../...and practice with it as it is....

Front Sights on a shotgun ...are only used ( unless you're trying to make it a rifle )...to make sure the gun is not canted as you mount the gun / then your focus shifts to the target.

A gunsmith can change the existing front bead....to most anything / ...like a night sight dot ..or a gold bead...or whatever.
Old April 12, 2015, 06:31 AM   #6
dayman

Xs makes a "big dot" front bead that glues right over the current front bread.
I put one on my "HD" gun, and rather like it. I was concerned about the fact that it glues on, but I used loctite black, and it seems like it's on there for good.
Old April 12, 2015, 12:46 PM   #7
Snyper

Quote:
Since you should be pointing your shotgun, your focus should be on the intruder and which way he is moving, not a glow worm. JMO, YMMV
At inside the home distances, you'd better be aiming, just as you would with any other weapon.

That won't affect your ability to still see the target

I'd look for a Tru Glo type combination fiber optic and Tritium front bead
http://www.truglo.com/firearms-tacti...366B7DDEB2FF93
Old April 12, 2015, 06:23 PM   #8
FITASC

Not if your intended target is juking and jiving like a dove........
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa