The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 18, 2015, 03:02 PM   #1
BoogieMan

A300 Xtrema

I handled one yesterday and it seems to fit me well. Fairly new out and not many reviews. From what I have read it won't cycle 7/8oz loads until it breaks in (100+- rnds).
I have been shopping the a400 but haven't been able to put my hands on one. The a300 xtrema is much less money and seems to have everything I want.
Has anyone heard anything bad about this gun? For under $1k I can't find anything that compares.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old April 2, 2015, 11:19 AM   #2
BoogieMan

Well no one replied so I ended up picking it up yesterday from LGS $959.00 plus T&N. This is the second shotgun I have bought for myself, gave the first one a BPS to my oldest son. I had a chance to look over the gun last night as I wiped out the dust and crud from shipping and sitting on an open store shelf. The quality of craftsmanship is pretty good but I would rate it a little lower than browning due to the fact that I can feel all the seems from stock to receiver, the stock spacer does not transition smoothly. Chokes and barrel are beautiful, bolt well done and no sharp burrs that need to be removed. I hope to get out and shoot it tomorrow if not Saturday. I have a couple boxes of game (HB) shells to break in and a few cases of target shells to pop off some clays. No excuses for missing now. This gun shoulders like I would expect a custom for me.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old April 15, 2015, 06:50 PM   #3
BoogieMan

Not sure why no one seems to have any interest in this gun. I did manage to get out to the public range and run about 50 rnds of high brass through it. so far it's just as I hoped. Handles like a dream with the 3/4 stock spacer and no added drop or cast. It's been so long since I shot a gun that handled and fit me that I missed a few more than I should have, but ended the day by throwing doubles with my left hand and breaking both before they could drop.
I'm sure there are plenty of nicer sa guns out there, but at a grand I haven't seen anything that comes close.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old April 15, 2015, 08:15 PM   #4
FITASC

I own A400s and like them a lot. Be sure to use the shims to make it fit you right.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 15, 2015, 09:17 PM   #5
TMD

Can't comment on the 300 but I did buy a 400 xcel with the kick off stock for my fiance. Worst move ever cause now she out shoots me. I have to say it's probably the softest shooting 12ga semi I've ever handled.

Last edited by TMD; April 15, 2015 at 10:18 PM.
Old April 15, 2015, 09:29 PM   #6
FITASC

And those A400s Xcels will handle 3/4oz reloads making it even softer.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 16, 2015, 06:50 AM   #7
BoogieMan

The A300 Xtrema is a bit different from my understanding than the A300. Its uses the A400 barrel and gas system and the a300 stock and magazine. I set out for the A400 Xplo Unico but decided last minute that I would probably enjoy the more durable finish of the lower end model for hunting etc.. I only shoot sporting clays to make me a better hunter and of coarse fun.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown