The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 28, 2013, 08:42 PM   #1
tahunua001

anyone have issues with Grafs ammo?

hello all.
long story short. I have a type 99 Arisaka in 7.7x58mm and the only ammo I have been able to find for it is Grafs. I took it out to shoot for the first time and every round save 1 failed to fire from light strikes. all of the primers are seated very deep so I'm not sure whether I should demill it, reseat the primers and put it back together again or to try a heavier firing pin spring...

am I the only one that's had these issues with grafs brand ammo or is this a common problem?
Old January 29, 2013, 01:27 PM   #2
chiefr

Grafs sells PCI, PPU, & Hdy that I know of in 7,7 JAP. I have fired all and never had a problem
Light firing pin strikes are rarely an ammo problem.
Old January 29, 2013, 07:34 PM   #3
FairWarning

Not at all. I picked up some "Grafs" 7.5 x 55 Swiss 150 gr SSTs, actually Hornady ammo in disguise. So as expected, they are excellent (probably the best white tail load available for 7.5 Swiss).
Old January 29, 2013, 11:42 PM   #4
kilimanjaro

Clean your bolt thoroughly and try a new spring.
Old January 31, 2013, 08:42 PM   #5
sirdiealot

only prob i have them is i ordered ammo from them on the 11th of jan and still aint here....ordered at same time from aim surplus arrived 2wks later and ordered some on monday of this week and it will be here tuesday of next....kinda getting annoying

...Wildly popular all over the world, mostly in countries where people don’t carry guns, and cops don’t have to actually shoot people with theirs.
Old January 31, 2013, 09:14 PM   #6
chiefr

I have been a loyal Grafs customer for the last few years. I have always praised Grafs on these forums. In almost every case, I received a notice saying my stuff was shipped the next day.
10 days ago, I ordered some reloading supplies for milsurps that they had plenty of in stock. The stuff I wanted was not even close to being in high demand IE; .312 bullets. I sent email inquiring about my order and Grafs told me it would be another 2 weeks before it would ship even though the stuff was in stock. They never bothered to let me know I would have such a long wait when I placed the order and when they emailed me receipt of my order the next day.
After finding out it would be another 2 weeks, I cancelled the order. I was able to find what I wanted from other venders who promised next day ship. These other venders will be my go to folks from now on and after the panic is over.
They have since placed a disclaimer about delays in shipping, but the disclaimer was added after I placed my order

Last edited by chiefr; February 1, 2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old February 1, 2013, 05:03 AM   #7
HiBC

I just breathe....as far as this supply issue.Everybody is doing the best they can.

That rifle is over 70 years old.I'm only 60 and I make some....well,TMI.

The advise to check springs and firing pin protrusion is good.

Have you ever checked heads[pace on that rifle?Could be on the high side,that effectively shortens the fp strike.Ammo may be minimal length...

I consider Grafs a # 1 grade supplier.
Old February 1, 2013, 01:02 PM   #8
Webleymkv

Arisaka striker and sear springs can be found here

http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?...ems&cID=2&m=81

As to the shipping delays from Grafs, they have a notice about it right at the top of their web page. Even if the item you're ordering isn't something in high demand, you have to remember that they're inundated with orders of all types and, like many other online retailers, their shipping department is simply overwhelmed. Regardless of whether your item is in stock, they probably have hundreds, if not thousands, of other orders placed before yours that have to be processed, packaged, and shipped first.
Old February 1, 2013, 07:04 PM   #9
sirdiealot

yeah but when i placed my order on the 11th of jan there was no warning about being late....also they sure did process my credit card within an hr or so of me placing order

...Wildly popular all over the world, mostly in countries where people don’t carry guns, and cops don’t have to actually shoot people with theirs.
Old February 2, 2013, 11:59 AM   #10
tahunua001

seems to be a bit of confusion here. when I say 'Grafs ammo' I am not talking about ammo that I acquired from Grafs, I'm talking about the hornady ammo shipped in boxes marked 'Grafs'
Old February 3, 2013, 01:21 PM   #11
tobnpr

Good for clarifying.

A lot of people don't realize that "Grafs" is not "Graf & Sons"- which is the reloading supply house with which we're more familiar.

"Grafs" also sells brass with their headstamp which people confuse with "Graf & Sons".