The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 16, 2012, 12:35 AM   #1
pairofponies

One new and dead Mossberg

Howdy and thanks in advance for your help. I'm new to the board so this is my first post. I came looking for a little insight on a recent problem. I apologize if this gets lengthy, but here goes.

So I got what seemed like a pretty good deal on a Mossberg 500, the field/home defense version with the 2 barrels. It ran me $250 out the door for a brand new shooter, so I thought.... How could I go wrong.

First thing I noticed after swapping in the short barrel was the action was really clunky. You really had to rack it like you meant it. My previous shotguns have been 870's so I'm not entirely new to how to work a pump. After switching back and forth between barrels and cycling the action, my impression was the action was extremely inconsistent. Sometimes it cycled fine, other times it seemed like it was binding somewhere internally. Within 10 minutes I managed to break the poor thing. I went to cycle the action with the 28" barrel and it felt like it was binding again, so I brought it forward, pushed the release and more aggressively worked the action. Well it made it about halfway back and hard-locked... I seriously cant get it to break free, seriously....

Anyway, to recap; not a novice with a pump, brand new gun that's never even been stuffed with a shell, action wont move in either direction.

I've noticed some mixed opinions on Mossberg, and I'm thinking I may have been better sticking with what I know (870) but at this point what's my best plan of attack to get this thing working, and is this really what I can expect?

Again, thanks for an input and uh.... anyone want to buy a Mossberg 500 ??
Old August 16, 2012, 06:02 AM   #2
Virginian

There are more than enough 500s and 870s out there that when there is a problem you can pretty much figure it is an aberration and not the norm. If it is new I would contact Mossberg. They should be able to fix you up. Two words of advice from 50+ years of shooting and more than a few of those selling and working on guns.
If something feels wrong, it probably is wrong.
If a gun isn't functioning properly, more force is almost always not the right answer.
Good luck.
Old August 16, 2012, 01:03 PM   #3
shortwave

Welcome to TFL and sorry you're having issue's with your new Mossy.

Quote:
First thing I noticed after swapping in the short barrel was the action was really clunky. You really had to rack it like you meant it.
How did shotgun cycle right out of the box before you changed bbls.?

Did you clean, inspect(for loose parts,screws etc.) grease and oil shotgun prior to re-assembly?

Too, are you sure bbls. are being seated all the way?

Have you tried removing bbl. since it locked up...if you can remove bbl. can you see something shiny or scratched that may be causing the bind?

Lastly, you didn't say where you bought shotgun(big box store or gun store) but is it possible to take it back and have a qualified person look at it?

Please excuse some or all these questions if they sound redundant...just trying to cover some of the more standard questions...
...more knowledgeable Mossy owners such as Mr.Hogdogs, Lee Lapin etc. will probably be along to get to the technical questions.

Last edited by shortwave; August 16, 2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old August 16, 2012, 03:53 PM   #4
Barber2678

Quote:
seemed like a pretty good deal
That Mossberg doesn't seem so great now does it?
Old August 16, 2012, 05:00 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

There are field strip tutorial vids on you tube...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKbWcPdTRBI

After following this video to tear it down, clean and inspect for damaged parts or excessive wear from a damaged part...

Did you follow the manual's instructions to a "T" to swap barrels or did you just "wing it"...

Brent
Old August 16, 2012, 05:59 PM   #6
shortwave

Quote:
That Mossberg doesn't seem so great now does it?
With due respect...kinda gettin the cart before the horse aren't ya Barber? Since there are some pertinent questions still yet to be answered.

The Mossberg 500 has been around for many years and is noted by many to be a lot of shotgun for the money. Have had a few I've literally abused and like a Timex, they kept on running.

If by chance, there is something wrong with the new Mossberg...won't be the last new gun turned out by a manufacturer that wasn't correct.
Don't know of a manufacturer, even high end gun manufacturers not guilty of doing that at some point and time.
Old August 16, 2012, 06:42 PM   #7
pairofponies

so to answer some of the questions....

The shotgun was purchased at Fred Meyers, last day of a friends and family sale caused an impulse buy. I usually do a bit of research before I jump in with I brand I'm not too familiar with. Anyway, no qualified people there.

The action felt fairly stiff and clunky out of the box, I didn't notice it much at the store. So cycling seemed a little rough, it felt like it would need some real breaking-in. Of course it's being compared to an 870 wingmaster which most of my experience is with. It did get a look-over and I didn't really see anything missing or obvious. I was in part working the action to try to get a feel for it, when I managed to cause myself this issue. It hadn't been cleaned or lubed yet, but it did seemed oil-up pretty good right out of the box. It was actually a bit "wetter" than I normally run anything, so it wasn't dry by any means. It felt like, if you pushed the release and slowly and smoothly pulled back, it would travel about 1/2 an inch and start to feel like there was some resistance. Once the resistance hit, the action didn't seem it would continue back, even with more effort. This held true even without a barrel. But if you hit the release and gave it a firm and quick pull, the action seemed to cycle smoother. This is what I was doing when it failed, kind of a cycle test on the action before I did anything else with the gun.

I have removed the barrel, no signs of any marks. The barrel seemed to seat fully, just a very feint space between the lug on the barrel and the tip of the tube. And the thumb screw was as snug as it was going to get. I did consult the manual before swapping barrels, wanted to see how it compared to the Rem, so I don't think there's anything drastically wrong I did with the barrels.

I've pulled the trigger group out to get a better look underneath and I can't really tell where its binding, but it's seriously bound up. Everything looks very tight, and I have never done the same on the 870 so I cant compare. I'm not getting real crazy trying to "unstick" it, last thing I'm interested is doing is damaging the gun.

And that has brought me to you fine folks. There can be a wealth of information and helpful people if you look in the right spots.

PS. I watched the video and even with no barrel, the action on mine didn't move any where near as freely and smoothly as the one in the video. Of course, now it doesn't move at all.
Old August 16, 2012, 07:01 PM   #8
pairofponies

and a quick addendum. I was looking down the front of the action (barrel is currently off) and the bolt and elevator, especially the elevator don't really appear centered within the receiver. They look somewhat crooked, like they have been pulled a little out of position just a little. It makes me wonder if the action is binding as the bolt travel back thru the receiver, it starts to get out of shape and kind of wedges in.
Old August 16, 2012, 07:48 PM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Yes... now do a thorough tear down and cleaning... they are not shipped in "ready to fire" condition... they have anti rust goo snot stuff needing removed as do all modern guns...

It sounds like there is something not seated properly and the video will help with tear down and reassembly... If still amiss.. the fine folks at Mossberg will hook you up... Play nice on the phone and the results will be even better... Asking for a free decal they usually sell and a hat has never been turned down in my experiences...

Brent
Old August 16, 2012, 11:24 PM   #10
pairofponies

Well, I finally got the chance to get the gun on the workbench and get some good light and now I see what's up. The bolt slide has come out of the milled grooves it rides in on one side of the receiver and is starting to ride below the ridge that keeps it in place. I see a section about an inch back from the tube on the right side where I'm guess it got off it's track. I'm also guessing that's where its hanging up preventing a smooth stroke when operated with light hand. I find it a little surprising that working the action by hand managed to derail it like it has or even that it could be derailed. I'm guessing the receiver is steel as are all internals so I'd think they'd be a bit more robust... I'm not exactly a bruiser, pretty much an average Joe. Maybe this is proof the wife really is wrong, I really don't need to hit the gym more often.

So the question now is gumsmith or Mossberg? I'm not sure I can explain how it's out of whack, I'm not sure I understand how it got there. I'll get hit for gunsmith rate or shipping. Shipping will be less and likely slower turn around. How is Mossberg's customer service?
Old August 16, 2012, 11:51 PM   #11
pairofponies

Ok, looks like receiver is aluminum.
Old August 17, 2012, 05:14 AM   #12
Virginian

Call Mossberg. They will probably fix you up.
Old August 17, 2012, 10:16 AM   #13
shortwave

Quote:
The bolt slide has come out of the milled grooves it rides in on one side of the receiver and is starting to ride below the ridge that keeps it in place. I see a section about an inch back from the tube on the right side where I'm guess it got off it's track. I'm also guessing that's where its hanging up preventing a smooth stroke when operated with light hand.
Per your findings, as Virginia-in-LA posted, I would call Mossberg and tell them whats going on. Surely they will take care of things.

Please post back and let us know what happens.
Old August 17, 2012, 07:00 PM   #14
pairofponies

Gave Mossberg a call and I'll be sending it out for them to take a look at. Overall the customer service seemed pretty good, no complaints and I should have it back in a few weeks.

Thanks for all the input.
Old August 17, 2012, 07:27 PM   #15
shortwave

Sounds good.

Again, please post back of Mossbergs findings.
Old August 17, 2012, 11:31 PM   #16
scottd913

i hope Mossberg gets you problem fixed for you. I have owned Mossberg's for a long time and i prefer them i never been let down by Mossberg or there products.
good luck
Scott
Old August 19, 2012, 12:02 AM   #17
DunRanull

Location: Southern Colorado, where a small working knowledge of southwestern Hispanic culture is considered polite.
I kinda like Mossies, learned to shoot on a Mossie .22 bolt and one of their clunky 3-shot bolt action shotguns.
I worked in a (very) small dept in a rural area in the Rocky Mtns. At the time the only weapons we had were 9mmP pistols, officer-provided. One night while alone on night shift a deal went down involving a bear with an attitude problem...up-shot (so to speak) I went to the closest Walmart- you know your town has "arrived" when they build a walmart- and bought a Mossberg 500 off the shelf for $200.00... set up as a "police patrol" 12 ga. And some slugs. Out of the box that shottie ate the slugs and some buck with no issues. When I got the time I cleaned, disassembled, and lubed it (thats what instruction booklets are for), hung a shooting sling of it, and it has functioned well ever since. Shot for quaification with it several times, it is very accurate with slugs. The only problem with it is the fact that the receiver is cast aluminum alloy, tho this hasnt been an issue. While I do have several 870's set up for business, the Mossberg gets more travel time than the Remmies and has dealt lead-law to a few bears. I trust it. Upon leaving that dept they gave me the shotgun (after having reimbursed me for it to begin with). All Im sayin is that Mossie has made some good products. Couldnt you take it back and get a refund or swap it for a new one? Walmart does this, dunno who Fred Meyer is.

Last edited by DunRanull; August 19, 2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old August 19, 2012, 11:53 AM   #18
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Cast Aluminum a "problem"??? I would think, then, that all them MIM parts in pistols would really be a breakage nightmare...

Brent
Old August 19, 2012, 11:41 PM   #19
pairofponies

I'm planning on shipping it out in the morning, so I'll report back when I get some info from Mossberg. Fred Meyer's is kinda like a Walmart, kind of a Pacific Northwest thing. They made sure to mention, any issues had to be dealt with by the manufacturer, no chance on taking it back.

Do firearms need to be shipped thru an FFL? I got a recommendation from the CS guy from Mossberg that I'm not 100% sure about.
Old August 20, 2012, 02:27 AM   #20
TheKlawMan

Mossberg has a FFL. What did the Customer Service guy tell you to do for shipping and why would you trust someone on a message board as opposed to him?

I won't say if this is accurate or not but it may get you thinking if you need to ask any questions. http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...hip-carefully/

If correct, this seems to cover things.

Quote:
The U.S. Postal Service allows civilians to ship long guns to FFLs and licensed manufacturers, but prohibits civilians from shipping handguns period. FFLs and manufacturers can ship handguns cheaply through the Postal Service, but we can’t.
and

Quote:
■Ship long guns yourself by USPS or UPS ground. It’s not exactly ‘cheap’ but it’s the best rate you’ll get. Pack them securely using a shipping carton (gunsmiths have the boxes if you need them) and tell the shipper it’s a rifle or shotgun. I always insure the guns I ship, since they’re not my guns.
Inform whomever you use that you are shipping to its manufacturer for repairs.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; August 20, 2012 at 02:48 AM.
Old August 20, 2012, 12:24 PM   #21
pairofponies

I figured surely someone here has shipped a gun before, where as this will be my first. The recommended calling for a pick-up rather taking it to the store and not really indicating what was being shipped, just that it was going back to manufacturer for repair. He indicated they'd likely want me to take it to a gun-store to be shipped, if they knew what it was. Personally, I'd rather not push my luck if it's something that's not quite on the level.
Old August 20, 2012, 06:20 PM   #22
TheKlawMan

I believe you MUST disclose to a common carrier, including the USPS, that it is a long gun. The guy that told you not to is an IDIOT. I will not say what you should do and I know nothing about the laws of your state (you have to abide by Federal gun laws, Postal regs if applicable, and you state laws.)

I would box it up and take it to the USPS and declare it to be a shotgun. Make damn sure it isn't loaded. That is what I would do. If the USPS takes it they do and if they refuse it there is no foul as far as I am concerned, but I will NOT tell you that complies with all laws and regulations. I would also insure it for $200 noting on the slip that it is a shotgun. That is just what I would do. I will not tell you not to use a FFL to ship.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; August 20, 2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old August 20, 2012, 07:36 PM   #23
gvw3

I shipped my rifle to Savage a few weeks ago with FedEx. It was in a Savage box. They never said a thing or ask what it was.

I have both the Mossberg 535 and the 870 Remington. The Remington is tighter. The Mossberg slide almost feels lose. Less recoil with the Mossberg. I like them both.
Old August 20, 2012, 08:14 PM   #24
pairofponies

Sounds like a more reasonable plan, there was something about what he had said that left me feeling a little less than confident.

Again, thanks for all the help.
Old August 21, 2012, 05:47 AM   #25
Virginian

I think you are suffering a slight bout of paranoia. You may have talked to a new guy. But, I do know that hundreds of thousands of guns have been shipped to Mossberg. I was an FFL for years and shipped a lot of guns, and no one ever even asked to see my license unless it was a handgun. You do NOT need to go thru an FFL for a long gun. I use the Post Office. MUCH cheaper. If you use FedEx or UPS you will have to go to one of THEIR shipping points. The "stores" in Office Depot and such will not take guns that I have seen. Make sure you pack it well, insure it, and declare what it is. If they tell you they cannot ship it politely ask to speak to the Postmaster. The U S Post Office regulations are crystal clear.
I usually tie a tag with my name, address, and phone number to the gun inside the box, and a short description of the problem on the other side of the tag doesn't hurt either.