The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old June 29, 2012, 12:22 AM   #1
Psychbiker

12ga Ammo for 3gun? These OK?

Have a decent deal for these $50 for 250. Federal 2 3/4 1 1/8 oz #8 shot 2.7 dram.

http://www.cabelas.com/shotgun-ammun...get-load.shtml

Havent done 3gun yet but just got my Mossberg JM 930. I havent shot enough shotgun to know if these will be good for 3gun.

Thanks
Old June 29, 2012, 09:19 AM   #2
Adamantium

Here is my opinion on shotgun ammo for 3 gun. I've only shot a few but around here 3 gun matches aren't constantly on clubs schedules like USPSA or IDPA.

If your shotgun accepts chokes any budget ammo that cycles your gun will be fine for a local match. A good TD won't make a stage where everyone has to use specialty ammo without at least putting out some kind of warning before hand. Without a choke you are better off using #6 shot or bigger (if they will allow it) but honestly budget ammo + modified choke is better than larger shot without a choke.
Old June 30, 2012, 07:16 AM   #3
lmccrock

Quote:
If your shotgun accepts chokes any budget ammo that cycles your gun will be fine for a local match.
Added emphasis is mine. Brand new gun, do not buy 250 until you know.

Will 2.7 DE/1145 fps work? Maybe not, depends on the matches. If they like to put poppers out a ways then, no. To get started, pay the extra $15/case and get birdshot with a little more oomph. I run #7.5 1255fps 1 1/8 oz to be sure, and when I shoot a popper, it goes down. No need to get more oomph than that.
Old July 3, 2012, 12:51 PM   #4
Jesse Tischauser

Go to Walmart and try the federal and Remington bulk packs. They are under $25/100 and should run in any gun. I have issues with the Winchester bulk pack in my benelli's. For matches I run Winchester AA's.