The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Which .380?
Kel-Tec P3AT 32 18.29%
Ruger LCP 83 47.43%
Lorcin 0 0%
Bersa Thunder 41 23.43%
Smith&Wesson Bodyguard 26 14.86%
Cobra Patriot 2 1.14%
Micro DesertEagle 3 1.71%
Hi-Point 1 0.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 12, 2011, 10:15 AM   #51
claydoctor

I'm surprised at the negative reactions to the KelTec P3AT. Mine has been flawless. Never had a problem with either ball or hollowpoints and it is accurate. Recoil not objectionable at all.
I would probably have bought the LCP when it came out but already had the P3AT so hard to justify. I was hot on the Bodyguard.380 but was turned off by what I considered to be the awkward location of the laser switch. Instead of buying the Bodyguard, I mounted a CT laser on the KelTec.
Old April 12, 2011, 02:51 PM   #52
440SAW

SIG 232 for me. Today's ammo enables the .380 piece to hit hard; you would not want to be on the recieving end of it under any circumstances; esp at less than 30 feet. Yes, higher caliber stops harder, but down is down.
Old April 12, 2011, 03:02 PM   #53
Squibb

If it came down to a .380 IMO the Kahr is far and away the winner given the choices you have listed. However, it is not inexpensive. You might want to compare those on your list to the new Kahr CM9.

You'll find it is actually smaller than some of the .380s, it's not a blow back so more comfortable to shoot, it takes 9mm so cheaper to feed, and since it is a less expensive model of the proven PM9, you won't be sending it to the factory.
Old April 12, 2011, 03:08 PM   #54
MikePapa1

I carry a Sig P238 in my pocket and a Sig P220 on my hip.
Old April 12, 2011, 03:20 PM   #55
psyfly

Quote:
Oh, the blasphemy! The granddaddy of all pocket .380 pistols is not mentioned!
Not quite as soon as the FN/Browning, but earlier than the PPK is my favorite Star D series (Mine's a DK and a lot younger at age 53 than the first Star Ds). Direct grand daddy (mommy?) of the Sig P238

However, I carry my P3AT most of the time that I carry a .380 (9mm Cort).

The 'little jewel' stays in my desk drawer.

Best,

Will
Old April 12, 2011, 03:21 PM   #56
tynimiller

very impressed with the showing Bersa is making on this.
Old April 12, 2011, 04:14 PM   #57
Smaug

Quote:
Originally Posted by tynimiller
very impressed with the showing Bersa is making on this.
Because whenever someone tries them, they're hooked. They can't believe how good they are for that amount of money. They're Ruger quality* at Hi Point prices.

The thing is that no one tries them. I admit that I only tried mine because it "fell into my lap" for only $100. But to take the chance and spend $250-300 is a different matter.

* - By that, I mean accurate and reliable, but not quite having a top level of parts finish.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old April 12, 2011, 06:19 PM   #58
Drew78

I have a LCP w/ CT laser guard and really like it for what it is... a pocket gun.

The bodyguard is just a tad too big in all the wrong places for my build, hate the laser on it, and am not a fan of manual safties on my defensive pistols.

The Taurus is well, a Taurus... not for me

The Kahr seems really nice, but I have ZERO faith in the company. Seems you get a pistol that runs like a scalded beeotch, or a complete dog destined to spend its time in the origional box going back and forth to the factory.

The Sig 238 is nice, but again, seems REALLY big for a pocket gun, it has a safety, and its a SA in a pocket.

I love the feeling of the Diamondback .380 but am waiting to see if they can get their act together as a company.

There it is, my $0.02. YMMV of course...

-Drew
Old April 12, 2011, 11:40 PM   #59
Smaug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew78
The Taurus is well, a Taurus... not for me
If you read a bit, I think you'll find that Taurus autos have a much better reputation than their revolvers. Autos are easier to produce; not as much precision work and fitting to be done.

If I bought locally, I'd probably buy a Taurus pistol if it felt right.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old April 12, 2011, 11:53 PM   #60
Drew78

While that may be true, there seem to be many more companies in better standing that have earned my trust. That's where my decision goes...
Old April 12, 2011, 11:58 PM   #61
Nitesites

Mine didn't make it on the list. SIG P238 carried in a ankle rig.
Old April 13, 2011, 12:01 AM   #62
Wheeler1

For some time, I've carried my Thunder .380 and was quite pleased with it, but had a real reminder of my breakin troubles when I tried a new box of ammo at the range the other day. Tried some new practice ammo (inexpensive Monarch brand). While loading the magazines, I realized the rounds had a particularly flat nose and were semi jacketed HPs. Right away, I had serious issues with the rounds feeding. Almost every round! Removing all of the new ammo and going back to my more rounded 'ogive' shape and fully jacketed HP ammo restored the flawless functioning of this weapon.

SCARY, to say the least.

I'm not sure how this effects other firearms but then again, I'm kinda particular on my ammo and my guns.

All that being said, the little Bersa Thunder .380 is a fine piece of workmanship. With over 2500 rounds RELIABLY down the tube before I tried the new ammo, I am impressed and still carry it daily. With my 'tried and true' ammo of course.

My other favorite in a 'smaller caliber' is my CZ-82 in 9mm MAK. Not exactly a 'pocket' pistol, but dead reliable and deadly accurate. I kinda like the round too........... Then there are my revolvers............. Hmmmmm.

I'm open to a new weapon...or an older 'classic' in .380 if I can find a reliable (and affordable) one AND it is a consistent performer.

Last edited by Wheeler1; April 13, 2011 at 12:14 AM.
Old April 13, 2011, 02:52 PM   #63
KCabbage

Whatever fits you best. Just make sure you use FMJ or Hardcast lead for defense!
Old April 13, 2011, 03:05 PM   #64
ghalleen

I went to the store with the intention of getting a SIG P238, and if they didn't have one, then a Ruger LCP.

However, they didn't have the P238, and before I could buy the Ruger, I checked out the Taurus TCP. Nice little gun!

In my opinion, it beat the Ruger in several areas:

1. Lighter trigger. It's still long, but is a good 2lb lighter up to the end, where it gets stiffer.

2. Tiny bit thinner

3. Better sights

4. I liked the black stainless steel finish.

5. Felt better in my hand

6. Slide locks open on empty

7. Came with an extra magazine and belt pouch.

Needless to say, I came home with the TCP.
Old April 13, 2011, 03:43 PM   #65
RickE

ghalleen, your comments on the TCP are right on. I love mine. I have not had any issues with it. My son in law just got a SW Bodyguard .380 with a built in Lazer for a good price. I hear the triggers have issues, and I don't like the on/off switch for the lazer. Looks cool however.
Old April 13, 2011, 07:55 PM   #66
Mokumbear

Kahr P380...

I am halfway through the 200 round break in period for my blackened stainless Kahr P380.

I'm going to try to complete it this weekend.

Didn't have an easy time with the 1st 100 rounds.
After e-mailing tech support, I am trying different ammo for the next
100 rounds.

Kind of like a little project for someone who doesn't get to shoot a lot.

I am hoping the next 100 rounds go better and have been assured
by one of their better tech support people that they will do what it takes to fix it if there is still a problem.

I want it to work out because this is a an ideal gun for times when even
my compact PPS 9mm is a little too large.
I will say this, the Kahr is not punishing on the hand after 100 rounds fired.

More on this as "the project" continues...
Old April 13, 2011, 08:38 PM   #67
Always-Vigilant

Sig P232

I like the Sig P232. Not the smallest but conceals great with the right holster. I use Don Hume 715 for IWB and the Glaco Concealment holster for OWB. Sig P232 is also fun to shoot at the range.http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...5&d=1301945803

Last edited by Always-Vigilant; April 13, 2011 at 08:43 PM. Reason: add pic
Old April 13, 2011, 09:16 PM   #68
orionengnr

Quote:
I owned a P3AT and couldn't get through a magazine with it without a malf. Also nasty to shoot. Gone.
I had two (one each first and second generation). Both worked about the same as yours did, with the same end result--gone.

I have had two LCPs, and both worked fine (I still own one, and put 50 rounds through it yesterday).

But I will sell it in a heartbeat as soon as I find a Kahr P380 for a decent price.

Can't believe you don't have the Kahr P380 in your poll....
Old April 13, 2011, 09:21 PM   #69
Orangeshadow03

Bodyguard for me, tried the LCP, it just didn't feel as good to me. I feel like I can hold on to the BG a lot better. I do agree with the post from earlier, the laser on the BG pretty much sucks:barf:, but the sights are dead on.

Ruger LCR, Ruger Mark III, Ruger P90, Taurus PT740, Taurus Model 608
S&W Bodyguard .380, Enfield .303, Marlin .22
Old April 13, 2011, 10:46 PM   #70
Yung.gunr

Don't have it yet but I'm planning on getting the Taurus TCP. It feels much better then the Ruger LCP or any of the Kel Tecs. Especially the trigger.
Old July 11, 2011, 01:36 PM   #71
sailor353

I carry my BT380 in a Don Hume pocket holster in my front pocket all of the time. I wear shorts and tee shirt 9 months of the year. The gun is comfortable and prints very little, looks kie you might have a wallet in your pocket.
Old July 11, 2011, 04:05 PM   #72
lcpiper

Speaking of holsters, I have a Galco IWB for my 85B Cheetah and I had an unsettling revelation today.

I was going into town to pick up some things from my daughter's house and I had my Beretta in the holster and I have just started carrying it with one in the pipe and the safty on. Well I pulled it out of the holster as I got in the seat and immediatly saw that the safty was off and I was like "*** over?". So I put the gun on safe, yanked off the holster, put the gun back in the holster and snapped the hammer strap closed and sure enough the hammer strap retention is forcing the safty off when you snap it closed. This holster is going back to the shop and I'll be looking for another, probably one without a hammer strap.

I actually noticed this happen for the first time about a week ago but wasn't sure so I let it slide. This time, seeing it again, I was sure of things and determined to figure out what was happening.

In all fairness to Galco, this holster is actually for the Thunder and Firestorm .380 series pistols and not specificlly for the Cheetahs so I can't blame Galco at all. only the limited selection of holsters at my LGS when it comes to non Glock, M1911, and SIG holsters.
Old July 11, 2011, 04:39 PM   #73
dgludwig

Quote:
More on this as "the project" continues...
Any update, Mokumbear?
Old July 11, 2011, 05:18 PM   #74
I_Am_NOT_Lost

LCP get's my vote, but it all is relative to how your going to carry this gun. I like pocket carry because it is without a doubt something I can actually carry comfortably every day.

I looked at the Bodyguard and and to be honest the gun is just to "busy", S&W tried to pack to many features into a gun that wasn't built for them.
Old July 11, 2011, 05:26 PM   #75
meanmachine1961

LCP is the easiest to carry gun that I have ever owned. Can't even tell I've got it with me. No excuse to leave the house unarmed since I bought one.

Tags
380 , conceal carry , pistols