The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 14, 2009, 12:01 PM   #26
Unclenick
Staff

Gentlemen! Manners, please! Criticism may be satisfying to deliver, but accurate facts are more useful.

A tolerance is a range of dimensions from a minimum acceptable number to a maximum acceptable number. The case has a different tolerance from the chamber. The way most cartridges manage the range is such that the longest case headspace will fit into the shortest chamber headspace, even if a little squeezing is involved. If there is extra room, the brass is allowed to stretch to fill it. Hatcher's Notebook includes an example of a case stretching a sixteenth of an inch in an extra long experimental chamber with no sign of head separation in new military brass.

Anyway, the point is that the longest chamber allowance is greater than the longest cartridge allowance. Thus, a long chamber cannot be relied on to tell you a case is properly sized for the shortest chamber.

Example:
Winchester .308 SAAMI spec
Chamber tolerance limits: 1.630"—1.640"
Case tolerance limits: 1.627"—1.634"

The four thousandths difference between the minimum chamber and the maximum cartridge is apparently figured to be within the capacity of most actions to jam in. Hatch found that rapid bolt operation alone could shorten case sizing something like six thousandths in the .30-06, IIRC?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; April 14, 2009 at 12:29 PM.
Old April 14, 2009, 12:09 PM   #27
amamnn

I loaded for years before I bought a case gage. Then I decided I wanted to shoot accurate ammo.
Old April 14, 2009, 12:25 PM   #28
dmazur

And, the difference is only 0.004" to 0.006" for GO/NOGO.

Chambering it in an example rifle is a check, and probably is better than no check at all.

However, depending on what your objective is, you may want to resize to SAAMI minimum (guaranteed chambering, shorter brass life), or you may be trying for 0.001" less than once-fired length (longer brass life).

Some recommend loading to SAAMI minimum for gas guns like the Garand, which can slam-fire for a number of reasons. Incorrectly-sized brass is one of them.
Old April 14, 2009, 12:38 PM   #29
Unclenick
Staff

It gets more complicated. If you get once-fired brass, the spring-back after coming out of the sizing die of a case extracted from a long chamber can actually fail to meet SAAMI case maximum. I've had that occur. In those instances only a small base die is able to set the shoulder back far enough on a single pass, and quite possibly would be the best choice for commercial work?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 14, 2009, 12:45 PM   #30
freakshow10mm

That's what I use. Redding made me sizing dies that are similar to the RCBS small base die.
Old April 14, 2009, 08:26 PM   #31
Slamfire

I have rifle case gages in most of the calibers I reload.

The calibers .223, 308, and 30-06 can be fired in a number of different rifles. For these calibers I size everything to gage minimum.

I have dropped chamber headspace gages into my Wilson cartridge headspace gages. "Go" on the chamber headspace gage corresponds exactly with the "go" mark on the cartridge headspace gage. This is also true for the "no go" gages.

This tells me the Wilson gages are calibrated to a standard, and if the rifle is within headspace, than a case sized according to the Wilson gage should not be undersized, or oversized. Wilson gages only measure length. They are cut wide between the shoulder and the base so you can drop a fired case into the thing and get a good idea of the headspace of your rifle.

I also have reamer cut gages. These gages were cut with the same reamer used by the gunsmith who installed my barrel. These reamers will tell me if my case is too long, or too "fat" after sizing.

The typical advice of turning the die down to touch the shell holder and add an eighth of a turn, is bogus, hit or miss at best. And you will find that out once you have gages to measure what is going on.