The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 6, 2015, 08:30 AM   #1
2ndsojourn

Hi Power Variants

Reading the other Browning Hi Power thread, I didn't know there were so many variants. Thanks for the insight. It makes me curious about mine so maybe one of you more knowledgeable folks can embellish me.

The rollmark on mine says 'Fabrique Nationale D'Armes Belgique' 'Herstal Belgium' 'Browning's Patent Depose' Ser # 346xx on both the slide & frame (I didn't disassemble to see if the barrel is numbered the same). The extractor on the right side is machined / recessed into the slide serrations. There are several proof marks stamped in a few places. It does not have target sights like some of WVSig's photos, but a small rear sight, and a round hammer - not the spur type.

I inherited this from my father several years ago, and I believe he bought it in the late 60's / early 70's used, through his kitchen table FFL friend. I'm thinking it's probably a surplus military issue from years back, but isn't beat up at all. In fact I'd say 80+%, given some holster wear at the muzzle and a little on top of the slide.

So, what can anyone tell me?
Old August 6, 2015, 08:37 AM   #2
Jim Watson

I think you are right, I had one similar from the same period. It even came in a typical European hard shell holster with the soldier's name inside the flap.
I don't know just where it was surplus from, though. It was not much worn, they sure weren't replacing worn out guns.
Old August 6, 2015, 08:53 AM   #3
WVsig

Does the gun have an internal extractor like this:

Or and external like this:

Just off the top of my head it sounds like a non-US contract gun with the older style ring hammer and half moon front sight. FN Herstals records on contract guns is horrible. They often reused serial numbers for different contracts so you could have 2 guns with the same 346xx serial number.

Once you determine which extractor it has you can sometimes narrow it down by the proof marks on the gun. I can answer more questions if you can post pics.

Last edited by WVsig; August 6, 2015 at 08:59 AM.
Old August 6, 2015, 09:48 AM   #4
2ndsojourn

"It even came in a typical European hard shell holster with the soldier's name inside the flap."

So does mine!

"Does the gun have an internal extractor like this:"

Yes, internal exactly, same hammer, rear sight & grips. I'll try to post pics later tonite.
Old August 6, 2015, 09:56 AM   #5
WVsig

Quote:
"It even came in a typical European hard shell holster with the soldier's name inside the flap."

So does mine!

"Does the gun have an internal extractor like this:"

Yes, internal exactly, same hammer, rear sight & grips. I'll try to post pics later tonite.
Ok that helps. FN stopped using the internal extractor officially in 1962 but FN is notoriously known for using older spare parts which were laying around the Herstal, Belgium plant for years after parts were officially retired.

So I would still stick with the idea that this is a European contract gun and would estimate it was made in 1962 or earlier. Give or take a few years for the FN factor. Again proof marks will help narrow it down.

Does the gun have a thumb notch on the slide like this one?

Last edited by WVsig; August 6, 2015 at 11:41 AM.
Old August 6, 2015, 10:42 AM   #6
2ndsojourn

Your photo isn't coming through on either ie or Mozilla, but I don't remember any thumb notch on the slide. I'll have a better look later tonite when I get home.

It looks exactly like your first photo, and has the serial number on both the frame and slide.

Edit: No, mine doesn't have that slide notch.

Last edited by 2ndsojourn; August 6, 2015 at 03:16 PM.