The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 14, 2013, 10:32 PM   #1
hootey

Clubs or ranges in Tulsa?

The wife just received a very nice job offer in Tulsa. We will be discussing it over the weekend. Any nice clubs or ranges in the area?
Old June 15, 2013, 04:10 AM   #2
okiewita40

There is 2A shooting range on Peoria I think just off of I-244 and the U.S. Shooting academy further north of there. More towards the Sand Springs area.

I would like to be the first to welcome you and your wife to Green country. Plenty of things to do around tulsa.
Old June 15, 2013, 03:51 PM   #3
tulsamal

US Shooting Academy is definitely #1 if you live right around the metro. They train LEO's and military personnel there. Very advanced range for a civilian one.

I live way over on the "wrong side" and despite that I sometimes make the long drive to the NW side of town to visit Red Castle. North of Sand Springs on a private ranch. Many of their ranges are the best in the state. I just wish it wasn't nearly two hours from my house!

There is now a decent range in Pryor. For rimfire challenge and handguns mostly. That's straight east of Pryor.

There is one by Broken Arrow that I've never been to. Oil Capital, I think. Something like that!

A lot of Okies are like myself. We live in a rural area and we buy our own land. And then we can shoot whenever we feel like it. Nobody to complain that we are moving side to side while shooting. Or using AP ammo. Or training in the dark at night with a flashlight. Or "firing too fast." Etc, etc. Buy some land and then invite friends over to shoot!

Gregg
Old June 15, 2013, 09:04 PM   #4
hootey

The wife has talked to the owner of the company several times. The company has offices in south Tulsa. He lives on lake Keystone and highly recommends it. He has several employees that live in Owasso and recommended it as well. We will have to see how it plays it with the interviews. Life here in the greater northwest is getting old. It lightly rains or sprinkles here with about 50* about eight months a year. Today it was 76* and sunny. It will be nice and warm until about mid September or so, then it will cool off and start raining for about eight months. It gets kinda old, so to speak. Thanks for the replies...
Old June 16, 2013, 09:20 AM   #5
tulsamal

We looked at houses years ago on Lake Keystone. Never saw anything we really liked. And it is on the wrong side for commuting. The sun is in your eyes going to work in the morning and still in your eyes when you are driving home. I prefer to live on the east side of the place where I work!

South Tulsa is "big house" zone. Huge amount of growth, some really giant houses. It has grown so far south that Tulsa just merges into Bixby. We lived in Bixby 15 years ago and it was actually a decent place.

I would start out looking around Claremore. Far enough away from the city to make me happy. On the east side. And lots and lots of stuff there in town so that special trips to Tulsa are rarely necessary.

Of course I like REALLY being far from town so I live all the way in Vinita. Only way I could afford a house and outbuildings and 90 acres.

Gregg
Old June 16, 2013, 10:26 AM   #6
Glenn E. Meyer

Been to the USSA location twice. Very nice facility.
Old June 17, 2013, 09:15 AM   #7
sundog

Oil Capital and North American are both in the Coweta area (east of Tulsa), half way between Tulsa and Muskogee. They are both very good clubs with good facilities. Unfortunately, membership is a wait in line. They are both private clubs with a membership cap (buy in is ~ $1,200 and $750 respectively and dues are $125 and $75). Commute to Tulsa is real easy via Muskogee Turnpike (toll).

If anyone is or knows a programmer who would like to live here let me know, we are hiring a new position. Gun nut would be a plus.

Like was mentioned earlier, buy a piece of land and set up your own range. I have 50 yards behind the barn (nice dirt berm), and when I get around to it I will cut a path down through the tree line and build another berm to get 100 yards. Nobody complains (well the wife, maybe, if I'm out there to long...).
Old June 17, 2013, 06:38 PM   #8
hootey

Thanks for the replies, we will wait and see what happens. Corp. America seldom gets in a big hurry hiring someone. Will keep you posted