The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 27, 2001, 12:26 AM   #1
old_yout

I've been reading through some old posts here and I'm getting the impression that there are so many caveats involved in buying a shotgun that I'd be a bonafide fool to purchase one through an internet auction house.
I should get a feel for the weapon in my hands; I should shoot it; I should, in the case of used shotguns, disassemble and examine it. The list continues, as you well know.

So I'm asking should I just not even consider using one of the internet auctions to buy a shotgun, much less a used one? I've seen some fine deals on some right pretty used shotguns, but since I've just recently become interested in the weapon I didn't do anything about them. Plus, I have no money.

If the consensus is that I should only buy a shotgun I've at least held in my own hands and I choose to ignore your advice (which, though a possiblity, I hope won't change your mind about posting to this) is there any advice you can give me? Primarily in reference to pump, though in the future I might want a double barrel.
thanks
Old March 27, 2001, 06:21 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I have compunctions about buying shotguns sight unseen, especially doubles.Buying doubles is a morass into which many tyros have sunk w/o a trace. And there's millions of clunker doubles out there, which is why so many are for sale anyways(G)...

Pumps, of modern make and design, are more uniform. Their cookie cutter manufacturing means less chance of a lemon, and in the case of some models, practically no chance. An 870 is an 870 is an 870....

I'd still want to look it over first.

Here's how I'd go about buying a shotgun....

First, I'd devote some thought and maybe scribble some notes on why I wanted a shotgun and what for.

For defense, hunting, professional reasons, or just some stress management busting clays? All of the above?

And what kinds of shotguns have you used in the past? Did you like them?

Finally, there's lots to be said for buying a gun from a gun shop. Reputable firms have no problem answering questions or handling small problems on guns they sell. It might be a little cheaper down at K-Mart, Walmart,etc,but try and get that clerk to adjust the stock to your shooting style or fix that little glitch in the feed. Better yet, don't.

HTH...
Old March 27, 2001, 07:30 AM   #3
PJR

I would not buy a gun sight unseen without a 3 day inspection period and the option for a full return if not satisfied. Absent those conditions I would not consider buying any gun without having the chance to give it a good going over before opening my wallet.
Old March 27, 2001, 08:30 AM   #4
Double Naught Spy

I have purchased via an internet auction and got a good, not great deal. However, it would have been much better if I had been able to handle the gun first. Put another way, all guns are not created equal. It may cost you a little more, but at least if you buy from a gun shop or individual in person, you can cycle the action, check for damage, etc.

Would you buy a car off the internet? If not, then don't buy a gun that way.
Old March 27, 2001, 11:35 AM   #5
Romulus

I just picked up (yestiddy) an 870 Police that I bid on and won at auction. I thought it would be a safe bet as this was A, an 870, and B, NIB. It is so lovely, pretty...sigh... I think I've been won over to blue finishes again.

I got it at Auction Arms, the dealer was Hunter Arms, a great gent with a whole lot of patience.