The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 1, 2009, 08:34 AM   #1
Nate1778

Opinion on this powder

Went to my local gun shop yesterday to get some powder and caps. Picked up a 16oz can of "Jim Shockey's" fffg powder (all they had). The guy at the counter raved about it and how clean it is. The one review online I read basically stated that it would not start a camp fire on a dry hot day. So whats the word from real time users, I am simply going to be using this stuff in my new C&B six shooters for fun. No competitions or hunting.
Old May 1, 2009, 10:42 AM   #2
Mark whiz

Shokeys has been around for quite awhile now in many forms and names. It's been branded as CleanShot, American Pioneer, and god-knows what else.

I used it as CleanShot for a couple years - until Triple Se7en came out.

The Shockeys, CleanShot, etc IS a very clean shooting powder. One day on the range I fired over 30 shots without even running my usual spit patch between rounds and never had a bit of trouble with fouling build up. That's the good news.

The bad news is:
1. It is very underpowered. To get a load equal to Pyrodex RS in my rifle, I have to add 10 to 15gr more of the Shockeys in ffg cut. Hopefully your 3fg cut won't be quite as underpowered. In 2fg cut, it takes 25gr more in my rifle to equal my Triple Se7en loads.

2. It is EXTREMELY hygroscopic - i.e. it sucks up moisture from the atmosphere faster than a sponge. I literally had a pound of it go bad on me overnight - and that is with it kept sealed in the bottle under air conditioning.

I did buy a bottle of the 3fg American pioneer awhile back to play with in my 1858 - so time will tell on how it will work with it. But for plinking like you want to do - it should serve you ok.
!
Old May 1, 2009, 06:48 PM   #3
long rider

SHOCKEYS ZIP.
PYRODEX 10.
And i dont shoot sub, but i have used both, imo
pyrodex is far better in pistols.
Old May 1, 2009, 08:00 PM   #4
tpcollins

I can attest to what Mark said. I tried some of their pellets and after a couple of rainy days during deer season I pulled the breech plug and pushed everything out towards the rear. The two pellets pushed out almost as soft as toothpaste. It's been sitting on the shelf ever since.
Old May 1, 2009, 08:10 PM   #5
grymster2007

Since it's all you could get and it appears to have a tenuous shelf life, you just need to get out there and shoot it all up.