The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 27, 1999, 08:28 PM   #1
BigAl

How much is a HK MP5 going to cost me? I have heard $8000. Is that an accurate estimate? Thanx.
Old December 27, 1999, 11:51 PM   #2
danbrew

Yeah, that's pretty much what you're going to pay for a top-shelf, registered receiver, swing down lower.

Prices on the boards lately have been in the 7000-9000$ range. Figure the higher prices aren't moving as fast (at all?) vs. the lower prices...

There are essentiall four types of MP5s out there:

Original MP5 imported before 1968. Only a few in the country -- going price is like 20k$.

Registered Receiver - started life as a 94. Factory correct in every way, has a swing down lower receiver. 8000-9000$

Registered Sear w/Sear married to Gun - started life as a 94, doesn't have the swing down. A semi pack has been modified to fit the clip on nature of the 94. 7000+$

Registered Sear and sear isn't married to gun. Pretty much the same as above, but the gun is papered as a sbr. allows you to move the sear from gun to gun. Requires two tax stamps. Actually with the sear in the gun, it only requires one tax stamp, but when you take the sear out, you need to have the gun papered as a SBR. $7000+$.

Note there really aren't differences between the last two because you can always "divorce" the sear from a gun if you want to paper the underlying gun.

:->
Old December 30, 1999, 11:57 PM   #3
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

I am not sure if the gun is worth it as a combat piece. The two that I fired had an absurdly high rate of climb (third round would invariably miss large silhouette target at 3m). A compensator or slower rate of fire (a la MP40) would have made more sense...
Old December 31, 1999, 03:28 AM   #4
SKN

Oleg,

Next time you get the opportunity to fire one try feet, knees, hips, shoulders square to the target; strong foot dropped slightly to the rear; little bit of knee bend, little bit of weight transfer forward; weapon pulled tightly into the body mount with shoulders rolled forward; don't relax this platform until you release the trigger.

I guarantee that you'll keep every round in a single press-off of a full mag, from the 1st to 30th, in a group no larger than your palm from 3M and shorter presses in even tighter groups. I've accomplished, instructed and witnessed equal or better results, static and while firing on the move just by locking into the 'HK stance' (USP/Universal Shooting Platform) that I've described.

[This message has been edited by SKN (edited December 31, 1999).]
Old December 31, 1999, 09:38 AM   #5
danbrew

Ditto! The MP5 is one of my favorite subguns because of the ease of control and accuracy I have obtained with it. Most folks I know can easily put a full clip into a dinner size plate on full auto at 25 feet. It simply takes practice.

danbrew :->