The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 15, 2013, 11:48 AM   #1
FoghornLeghorn

Electronic muffs for shooting rifle?

I have Howard Leight muffs, the lowest profile they make, but they still don't allow for a decent cheek weld when I'm shooting rifle.

How about some of the more generic behind the ear/ear plugs? I'm thinking a foam plug for the ear closest to the rifle, and an electronic ear plug for the other ear?

Are those things created equally?

I'm looking at this site:

http://www.earplugstore.com/in-ear-h...ring-aids.html

thanx

Last edited by FoghornLeghorn; April 15, 2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old April 15, 2013, 04:18 PM   #2
wogpotter

I have a similar problem with slim-line muffs from any manufacturer.
Foam plugs work well, ebven the simplist disposable ones, provided you fit them correctly. If you just shove 'em in your ear they aren't goig to work well at all.

I've actually been using mechanical valve type ear plugs for shooting a braked .308 outdoors & found them just fine. Indoors, or in a confined range house they won't be enough though. They get a lousy NRR factor because the way they're tested is with continuous noise, so the valve doesn't close. with pulsed sounds, like muzzle blast, they work much better than the NRR would lead you to think.

Norton ear-sonic used to be popular, but I can't find them locally so I'm now using a similar product called "Silencio", they work as wel, but the rubber is much stiffer & nowhere as comfortable to wear. This is supposed to be the newer, better version. For $10.00 give them a try you might be pleasantly surprised.
http://www.earplugstore.com/health-e...ear-plugs.html

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old April 20, 2013, 12:50 AM   #3
FLChinook

Goodness... you can spend big $$$ on these things!! I just started looking at electronic ear muffs and right now can get:

Pro Ears Pro Mag Gold Electronic Sport Shooter's Ear Muffs (NRR 33) $250
Howard Leight R-01526 (NRR 22) $50

I need two pair (wife & myself) so $500 vs. $100

Can anyone recommend a competitor to the Pro Ears at less cost. They need to work for bench rest rifle shooting as well as outdoor pistol.
Old April 20, 2013, 02:34 AM   #4
mxsailor803

Get the Howard Leight's. They maybe cheaper but they function great. I've had a set for almost 5 years now and just replaced the batteries in them. I would sit in the stand with them on the entire time (1-3 hours). Frankly if I wear these out, I'll get another pair of them.