The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 4, 2012, 02:36 PM   #1
Garyson1311

#11 or #11m percussion caps

Hey guys, your resident newby is back at it again to bug you guys with another question.

So i'm on basspro's website looking for percussion caps and they seem to only have magnum caps in #11 if im not buying bulk. Would magnum caps work for my rifle or should I get them? I was using some old #11 cci caps before and they were just fine but im not sure if these are different... Are they the same size but just have more pop?
Old February 4, 2012, 02:50 PM   #2
jaguarxk120

What you really want to look for is, RWS No. 1075 caps. They are made by Dynamit Nobel, none better!! Not all dealers will carry them, start looking at suppliers other than ProBass, the ones who will not charge list plus and then shipping on top.
Old February 4, 2012, 03:06 PM   #3
Hawg

Quote:
What you really want to look for is, RWS No. 1075 caps. They are made by Dynamit Nobel, none better!!
That's a personal opinion. I use their musket caps but only because that's all that's available locally.

Magnums will work fine but they're not necessary.
Old February 4, 2012, 03:52 PM   #4
wogpotter

Anything #11 caps will do #11 magnums will do with a bit more "pop", this may translate into faster ignition for you. Other than that they are 100% interchangeable provided you stay within a brand.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old February 4, 2012, 04:44 PM   #5
Garyson1311

Great stuff, guys. Thanks.
Old February 4, 2012, 06:28 PM   #6
Pahoo

Availability is almost everything !!!

Quote:
What you really want to look for is, RWS No. 1075 caps.
While I might agree with this reply, these are not always available and as the song goes; "When you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with". I'm guessing they want more for the Magnums so for that reason, you will be fine with the regular 11's. I wouldn't be too concerned and my side-locks are not too picky at that !!

Be Safe !!!
Old February 4, 2012, 06:31 PM   #7
Lee McNelly

caps

try makin ur own either metal or plastic

here is a site for plastic http://wn.com/percussion_cap

Last edited by Lee McNelly; February 4, 2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old February 5, 2012, 09:08 AM   #8
wogpotter

I'm going to add a bit to Pahoo's remark about his sidelocks not caring. Basically mine does care, which is why I made the comment on improving lock time with a mag over a regular.
I have a CVA Hawken with a drum breech & it will not fire with regular, but is fine with magnums. OK so I use magnums with it. I was interested enough to try regular & magnums in an 1858 Remington & the firing sequence was noticeably faster when I used magnums.
I'll use up the regulars in the Remmy, but I'll spring the extra $1.00 for magnums after they're gone.

Old February 6, 2012, 10:26 PM   #9
B.L.E.

Quote:
What you really want to look for is, RWS No. 1075 caps. They are made by Dynamit Nobel, none better!! Not all dealers will carry them, start looking at suppliers other than ProBass, the ones who will not charge list plus and then shipping on top.
My experience with these has not been so good, frequent failures to fire on a gun with a light hammer strike and failures to ignite the main charge sometimes when they do fire. CCI are my favorites. At TMLRA target shoots, you will see more people using CCI than everything else combined.
Old February 7, 2012, 11:03 AM   #10
Pahoo

It aint broke , yet !!!

Quote:
I have a CVA Hawken with a drum breech & it will not fire with regular, but is fine with magnums.
Yes Sir and I suspect you went to magnums, to fix a problem that you had, using the regular primers in your drum and nipple CVA. ...

I too have encountered ignition problems in "some" or my drum and nipple side-locks but not in my snail and nipple side-locks. The OP, has a TC Hawken model, which has a snail and nipple and he should be okay with the regular primers. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old February 7, 2012, 11:34 AM   #11
orangello

{lil johnny raises hand sheepishly}
Anybody got a picture or a link to one of a "snail" vs. a "drum". My sidelock is a drum, at least i was sure until just now.
Old February 7, 2012, 11:49 AM   #12
Pahoo

Just part of my learning curve. ..

Quote:
lil johnny raises hand sheepishly
That's how I found out what they meant, so long ago !!! ....

orangello,
Typically the Snail and Nipples are found on all TC's and others, or at least these. The Drum and Nipple are found on CVA's, Traditions and most of the older sidelocks. If you go search the internet images, you will clearly see what is being mentioned and can compare. ....

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...oducts_id=5795
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=271780593

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; February 7, 2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old February 7, 2012, 12:36 PM   #13
wogpotter

Actually I didn't. It was much simpler than that.
I started out with a cap & ball revolver, the only caps I could find locally were #11 magnums so I used them just because they fit the nipples!

Later I got the CVA carbine & it came with some #11 non-magnums, but it had never been fired, heck it had never had the barrel fitted to the stock!

I tried the #11's & no BANG, just a *poot* so I went with the #11 Mags after that. When I tried the regular #11's on the revolver, figuring I could shoot them up on there with the shorter & more direct flame path, it was a noticeably slower ignition sequence than the magnums, but at least I can "shewt 'em up" that way!

Here's a blow up of the breech area showing a drum type, sorry it isn't clearer.

Old February 7, 2012, 12:39 PM   #14
Lee McNelly

Musket nipple

Think about it and musket caps
Old February 7, 2012, 12:44 PM   #15
Hawg

I'd look for a problem in the drum itself it it's not firing with standard caps. A drum ignition should work with them, may get a hang fire now and then but they should shoot.
Old February 7, 2012, 01:04 PM   #16
Lee McNelly

FOULING

Has the breach been brushed or scraped
Old February 7, 2012, 01:07 PM   #17
Lee McNelly

Breech brush and scrapers

http://www.rmcoxyoke.com/inc/sdetail...h_brush/99/104
Old February 7, 2012, 02:04 PM   #18
Pahoo

The gun always tells me what it needs !!!

One of our teaching M/L's , is a CVA with drum and nipple. When it starts to get dirty, it will let you know by giving you hang-fires as well as mis-fires. Under those conditions, it's really not a problem and in fact, welcomed as we use it as an example of what is happening and can happen. I'm sure that the magnums would work better but that would be treating the symptom and not the cause. As stated, the cause is fouling. Some of these drums have smaller channels. Sometimes the timing gets tight as we have to clean between classes. It's kind of neat, the way students start noticing the hang-fires...

Be Safe !!!
Old February 7, 2012, 04:33 PM   #19
wogpotter

Quote:
but it had never been fired, heck it had never had the barrel fitted to the stock!
How was it fouled on the first ever shot?

There may be something not quite right, but it sure ain't fouling in a spankin' new barrel.

I have cleaned the bore, pulled the nipple & clean out plug & used pipe cleaner to clean inside the cylinder & a nipple prick on the nipple itself. I've actually swapped the nipple so it's not a nipple problem as it happens with both nipples.

Old February 7, 2012, 05:40 PM   #20
shortwave

Then it may be the channel in the drum was not drilled to speck(to small) from the factory... which isn't the first time it has happened. Also have seen the hole in the drums drilled on angles and not very centered.

Not on the drum but on a T/C my brother bought many years ago had a nipple that wasn't drilled all the way through. Drilled it the rest of the way and 'presto', it shot.

All components being correct, you should be able to shoot reg. 11's in the CVA.
Old February 7, 2012, 07:36 PM   #21
Pahoo

Run it down !!!

wogpotter
Pull you nipple again and see if by chance, the clean-out screw, is partially blocking the channel. I once had one where the threads of the nipple was actually resting on the threads of the clean-out screw. Guess you are going to have to run this one down as best you can and kindly be sure to get back to us on what you found. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old February 8, 2012, 09:22 AM   #22
wogpotter

A couple of good ideas, thanks. Besides it gives me something to mess with during the blizzard