The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 28, 2011, 07:56 PM   #1
Wyosmith

Another one done

Another one done.

Old July 28, 2011, 07:57 PM   #2
Wyosmith

Old July 28, 2011, 08:44 PM   #3
Straitshot

Very very nice! Excellent craftsmanship!
Old July 28, 2011, 11:53 PM   #4
Hardcase

Wow. Just...wow!
Old July 29, 2011, 12:44 AM   #5
Bill Akins

A work of art.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old July 29, 2011, 01:24 AM   #6
Wyosmith

Thanks Guys.
Old July 29, 2011, 09:28 AM   #7
sewerman

you are an extremely talented individual.......

the average person hasn't the foggiest idea the depth of talent & man hours needed to produce a mixture of metal & wood into an art form........

sm.

"They that can give up an essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety!" Benjamin franklin

The Armed Citizen PREVENTS tyranny!
Old July 29, 2011, 09:51 AM   #8
Tanker6

Now that's just plain purty......

Great Job!!!
Old July 29, 2011, 11:32 AM   #9
noelf2

Awesome! What's with the "Attitude" on the patchbox?
Old July 29, 2011, 11:40 AM   #10
Hawg

Most EXCELLENT!
Old July 29, 2011, 11:41 AM   #11
Skadoosh

Very nice work.
Old July 29, 2011, 12:29 PM   #12
Gatofeo

It's wonderful to see what a true craftsman can produce. You are an artist.

Interesting sling, with roses. Was that rifle made for a lady? Or do you simply like the rose pattern? No offense meant, historically roses have long been considered a masculine flower. Lt. Col. Custer wore gauntlets with roses embroidered on the cuffs.
I like the rose pattern sling. It's different and complements the rifle.

Have you considered exhibiting your work and demonstrating your expertise to local schools. Students reading about the American Revolution, or the Indusrial Age, would probably enjoy seeing a real flintlock, and the interchangeability of parts.
You don't need a degree, or be a full-time teacher, to instruct students.
Wyoming, where you live, shouldn't be toooooo Politically Correct. Teachers and superintendents there may recognize your work for what it is: history and art.

Also, you'd be a good feature for the local newspaper. I was a reporter for years and would have loved a story like this, and readers -- even those that are anti-gun -- would likely enjoy it. They'd also learn that not all guns are "killing machines."
It would be best to have someone else send a concise, single-page letter to the local editor, proposing a feature about you and your work. Most newspapers turn off to self-promotion because they are inundated with it daily. Have someone recommend you as a feature.
You would have been a good feature for an issue around the Fourth of July.

Amazing work. Love it. I've long wanted a flintlock rifle, especially with my Gatofeo logo somewhere on it, and perhaps Cave Felis Turpis engraved on the patchbox (Latin for, "Beware of the Ugly Cat").
Gatofeo means, "ugly cat" in Spanish.
Kinda short on cash right now but may contact you later, if you do custom work.
Old July 29, 2011, 12:35 PM   #13
Wyosmith

Noelf2, the man that asked me to build the rifle asked for Attitude to be engraved on the patch box lid. So I did what he asked.

Sewerman, you are correct in your statement that this kind of work takes a lot of time. This flintlock has a bit over 400 hours in it from start to finish. Some I have made have had 4X that much. Those are the chiseled and gold backgrounded German Jaegers and Russian fowlers that I have made.

I kept track of the time to make a chiseled butt plate one time. It took me 56hours to make the part, and that is not including inletting in into the wood. It was in 3 dimensions and all the back ground was gold. The steel was then fire blued. It was wonderful when it was finished, but such work comes at a cost, even if I am only making around “minimum wage”.

So I am never going to become a rich man doing this, but I enjoy what I do, and that’s worth more then money to me.

Thanks to all you gentleman for your kind words. Happy hunting to you all.
Old July 29, 2011, 12:44 PM   #14
Pahoo

Be still, my heart !!!

Truly a cut above the rest !! ....

Be Safe !!!
Old July 29, 2011, 12:54 PM   #15
38superhero

nice...
Old July 29, 2011, 01:16 PM   #16
Wyosmith

Yes Gatofeo, I can do what ever is asked for. I started doing this kind of thing when I was a boy, and I have done restoration work for private parties and also for museums all over the USA and some of Europe too.

I have taught classes on a limited basis in the past, but the big problem is that I have a deep backlog on my work, so I can’t justify taking that time away from my customers. I have never advertized in my life, but I still have a backlog. At one time it was over 7 years in the rear. Now it’s only about 2 - 2 1/2 years.

I have done gunsmithing since I was 12. Not always full time. I was in the USMC for several years, and I also worked for DOD for a few more years, but even in those years I did gunsmithing on the side as a hobby and as a passion. When I was teaching combat tactics it was relaxing to me to come back and work on a 230 year old type of rifle, made for sporting use, not combat. I like guns, but "action shooting' for a living wears you down. Muzzleloaders are relaxing and I feel as if I have made something that will be remembered for centuries when I build something like this rifle.

The sling is made in the style of what was popular in the era of the 1760s. The tapestry is French, and it's sewn to a heavy piece of flax webbing. They don't last as long as the guns, so you very seldom see an original these days, because the slings wear out in 30-60 years and the guns last for centuries. Such decoration was considered proper in that time. Most of the highest grade guns of the era were decorated with floral designs. So it was not considered feminine then.

I have been told I should contact a TV station or news paper in the past to get coverage, but I am fearful that if I did, I'd never be able to keep up with the demand for the work. Even with NO advertizing at all, I can get buried so deep it causes me problems and I have customers calling me to ask how their guns are coming, when at times those guns are still a long way from being started, let along being finished.

I regret that I cannot go any faster, but you cannot rush this kind of work. I work 12 hours a day and most weeks I work 6 days a week now. I can't really afford to have my work splashed all over TV or I'd get so far behind I'd be fearful I'd die before I could fill the orders.

You ask if I have exhibited my work.
Yes.
It's in Utah, Nevada, California, Washington. Virginia, Missouri, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, South Carolina, New Mexico, Texas Germany Austria, Belgium, Spain, Italy, and New Zealand. If you go to see firearms in various musiums you may have seen some of my work in the past.

I have guns in the hands of individual shooters in many other places too.

However, when I do a recreation or a restoration for a museum, I do not place my name on it. So there are exhibits all over--- but they people who see them don’t know the name of the men who did the work. They are there to see the guns, not to learn my name. I am not important. It's about the history, not the restoration.
I keep the directors of the museums happy and keep working, and they keep me from getting buried in mail and requests from more people that I could handle.

If you would like to write an article, I might think it is a good idea, but I would ask that we focus on the building and making of the guns, and not on me. I can just be "Steve" and keep a bit of anonymity in the writing so I can give the information to those that would like to read it, but not get buried in work that I can't handle. At 60 hours a week, I just can't really shoulder any more.

As far as doing one for you, I’d be honored. Contact me and I’ll let you know how I do business. The deep backlog works to the advantage of the working man in most cases. I ask ONLY for the cash for the parts and materials as a down payment. I accept no money for labor until I am doing that labor, and I built on the timetable and budget of the customer, so I am very easy to get along with.

Happy shooting and hunting
Old July 29, 2011, 02:12 PM   #17
Doc Hoy

Wyosmith

Hardcase took the word right out of my mouth.
Old July 29, 2011, 02:46 PM   #18
jimmythegeek

Wyosmith, raise your rates

On new accounts or whatever. You are worthy of your hire and your skill should command a respectable price.

Get all the publicity you can and raise the rate until the calls slow to a trickle you can keep up with.

Sorry, your business, not mine. I guess I'm just trying to say this is amazing work and I hope the world appreciates it in a tangible manner. One that folds and plumps a wallet nicely.
Old July 29, 2011, 04:24 PM   #19
Wyosmith

Well Jimmy, I don't give them away, but I rip anyone either.

A rifle like the one in the pictures sells for $3200.

If you look at the top of the page you'll see the forum that is for selling guns. I have 2 for sale in that forum. The most expencive of the two is $2400 and the other is $1550.
So I am earning a living, but i am not getting rich.
Old July 29, 2011, 04:28 PM   #20
Pbearperry

If it shoots as good as it looks Davy Crockett would be jealous.
Old July 29, 2011, 04:31 PM   #21
Hawg

I can only dream of such things. And drool on my keyboard.
Old July 29, 2011, 06:54 PM   #22
Gehrhard

A true work of art. Perfectly stuning.
Thanks so much for everything!
Old July 29, 2011, 10:50 PM   #23
Billy Shears

The wood you chose for that stock [flame maple?] is absolutely stunning. Stunning. The rifle is a true work of art. Just Wow! Words fail.
Old July 29, 2011, 10:53 PM   #24
Wyosmith

You guys are all very kind.
Thanks so much.
Old July 29, 2011, 11:27 PM   #25
vostracker

Lefty

Wow!!! Someday when my ship comes in I would love to have a left handed model built!! A fine work of art like one of your rifles displayed above my Tommygun would be beautiful!!! Keep up the excellent work.