The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 1, 2011, 11:39 AM   #1
Rifletom

"CLAYS" for 38spl and .45acp?

I'm sure this has been kicked around, just couldn't find it. I've been using Unique and Universal in said cartridges and they work very well; but, came across some "Clays". I do not seem to find a lot of loading info for handguns with this powder.
Any help or load data would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Oh. Bullets for 38: 158gr SWC
.45acp: 200gr XTP-HP, 230gr Speer LRN.
Old April 1, 2011, 01:29 PM   #2
Stick_man

Most powder manufacturers have load data on their website. Hodgdon is no different. If you go there, you will find a bunch of loads for the .38 Special using Clays, including some for the 158gr cast bullets.

www.hodgdon.com

I have never tried Clays yet, but have been thinking about checking it out. Let us know how you like it and what kind of loads you find to be most accurate.

Good luck and happy reloading!
Old April 1, 2011, 02:42 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

You can look the loads up on the Hodgdon site, as Stick_man said. In general, you'll find Clays is very fast and uses a very light charge weight. Low recoil but low upper velocity for the pressure reached as well. This is because its pressure peaks before the bullet has moved forward much, and thus it has all its gas crammed into a very tight space. That limits how much it can safely make and means the pressure drops fast as the bullet moves forward. That's why the charge weights are small and why the velocity achieved is low.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 1, 2011, 06:35 PM   #4
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

4 grains of Clay made a nice easy target load for my 45 but most of my pistol powder is Bullseye so that is what I use but 4.6 gr instead. If it's all I had I would use it but get a book and use what they say. My load came from fellow competitors so I can't vouch for anything except that they work in my gun.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old April 1, 2011, 07:05 PM   #5
SauerGrapes

A few guys at the club use clays for bullseye shooting. 3.8gr under a 200gr LSWC. Accurate and slooooowww.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old April 1, 2011, 07:27 PM   #6
Rifletom

sloooowww!

I don't mind it being slow, as long as it reliably cycles the action.
This will be another fun powder to try.
Old April 1, 2011, 07:30 PM   #7
Rifletom

Also; looking at the Hodgdon site, it looks like 4.0-4.3 will be good for my XTP-HP's.