The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 12, 2009, 08:23 PM   #1
Rail

William Atkinson Double - Info needed

Well, I have come into a SxS 12 by a William Atkinson that seems to be too nice to simply let slide. Problem is I know nothing about it or the man/firm. From what little I can dig up on the web, he might have worked for Churchill at one time and then gone off on his own???

The workmanship is much like a Churchill in many respects, and the bottom line is that it has a broken extractor that needs repair and I need to know if I should look into it - ? Anyone have any knowledge of this maker?

Thanks!
Old September 13, 2009, 07:23 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

ATKINSON WILLIAM SHOTGUN
hE WAS A GUNMAKER IN LANCASTER ENGLAND 1881-1901
THERE WERE SEVERAL GUN AND TACKLE MAKERS LISTED WITH THE ATKINSON NAME SOME AS EARLY AS 1840
MR HARLEY
Old September 14, 2009, 09:58 AM   #3
Rail

Thank you, sir. Any idea where I can look up information on who would be a reputable gunsmith? The age of the shotgun and its lines and engraving make it desirable, and the barrels are proofed so I can use later loads, but I clearly can't just take it anywhere to get the extractor repaired...I'm not really a shotgun guy though I love them.

Thanks again,

Jim
Old September 14, 2009, 11:19 AM   #4
oneounceload

Rail - you might try asking the folks at doubelgunshop.com. Lots of knowledge about double guns, repairs, etc.....
Old September 18, 2009, 08:28 PM   #5
Rail

Hi Oneounce - dropped Dave W. a line there - thanks much. Hopefully he can advise me on whether I should fork out real money to work on this gun. I may end up doing it anyway just because it is a beautiful, but I could wait a while.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old September 18, 2009, 08:37 PM   #6
oneounceload

You're welcome - hope you can get that to the condition you want - post some pics......
Old September 18, 2009, 08:41 PM   #7
Rail

What I sent to Dave, the bare minimum...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3914.jpg (207.7 KB, 47 views)
Old September 18, 2009, 08:48 PM   #8
oneounceload

The wood doesn't look very proud, wonder how well a refinish could be done......the engraving looks nice; appears to have bushed firing pins - nice touch; that one screw looks like someone has been inside but didn't use the proper sized screwdriver.....how are the barrels?? pitted or???
Old September 18, 2009, 09:16 PM   #9
Rail

Inside they are glassy, outside good with very slight pitting in spots. the wood shows its age, but the checkering is still distinct. Could probably be restored fairly well though I may leave it the way it is. The stock has a right hand cast and it actually seems to fit, but having never fired it, it could all be in my mind

All in all, it shows its age but does so very well. Its not pristine by a long shot but has a lot of charm to it.
Old September 18, 2009, 09:29 PM   #10
oneounceload

You'll need a good smith who knows doubles to check the chamber size - might be 2", 2-1/2" or something else. RST and Polywad sell "Vintager" loads that are designed for older guns with short chambers and low pressure. I seriously doubt, that even if your smith blesses the gun for shooting, that it will take a diet of modern higher-pressure loads. Sounds like it's gonna be fun....IF it is shootable, you could always have your stock refinisher change some dimensions so it fits like a glove. Those English guns really work best when they are fitted right......keep us updated......I've always regretted selling an old Belgian guild gun made in the late 20's, early 30's....but I traded it for a NIB SKB O/U.......but there is just something neat about those old SxS that are so lithe and agile in the hands
Old September 19, 2009, 01:10 PM   #11
Rail

I'll update with details as they arise.

Cheers,

Jim