The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 30, 2012, 09:10 AM   #1
the Black Spot

Single six to 44 special...?

Could a single six be converted to five shot 44 special?
Old December 30, 2012, 09:59 AM   #2
drail

No.
Old December 30, 2012, 09:59 AM   #3
mega twin

I doubt that the cylinder diameter would be large enough,and it would probably cost too much to be feasible.
You could measure yours and transpose a cardboard 5 shot 44 diameter.
I would check with some one like Hamilton Bowen,for safety advise,even if th cylinder would fit,doesn't mean it would work.jmo
Old December 30, 2012, 10:08 AM   #4
drail

A barrel large enough to take a .430 bullet will not fit through the frame opening. If you want a .44 just buy one.
Old December 30, 2012, 11:02 AM   #5
rclark

To add ... the medium frame flattop .44Spec that Ruger offers is perfect size for the .44Spec. Enjoy!
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old December 30, 2012, 11:35 AM   #6
Slopemeno

IIRC there are smiths that will convert a Single Six to .41 spl, so it's not too far off.

This one was done by Alan Harton. Old Model Single Six- looks like an Old Model Single Six is required to do the .41 since it doesn't have the transfer bar channel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Single Six in .41.jpg (113.6 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by Slopemeno; December 30, 2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old December 30, 2012, 12:31 PM   #7
RickB

I've seen one converted to a 5-shot .357, which might be a more practical conversion than .41 Special.
Old December 30, 2012, 12:33 PM   #8
Jim Watson

The problem with putting a 5 shot cylinder in an Old Model Ruger is that conventional wisdom will make it a 4-shooter. Either carry it with an empty chamber under the hammer or depend on the quarter cock.

A friend has a 5x.38 OM Single Six and it is a real cutie, but of limited utility.

I'd rather round up a .32 H&R Ruger. If I wanted more zip, I'd have it converted to .327.

John Gallagher said he was leery of a .38 NM SS because of the risk of cutting into the hammer block channel. But would not mind making a 9mm. Hmm.
Old December 30, 2012, 12:55 PM   #9
Rainbow Demon

The Single Six frame is massively over built for the factory chamberings, but the metalurgy may not always be up to the more powerful cartridges.

I got my Single Six .22 Magnum as a near junker, badly rusted with damaged grip frame and broken grips.
The cylinder gap was way out there, and the barrel breech was at an angle to the cylinder face. There was a lot of cylinder slap.

I used a chunk of very hard walnut board as a mallet and bracing the rear of the frame used the edge of the board to deliver rapid hard blows to the front of the frame at the cylinder pin opening. The wood was hard enough to transfer energy but not hard enough to upset the steel.
After a few hundred judicous blows, checking the fit often, I brought the frame back to near its orginal shape. The barrel breech and cylinder face are now paralel and gap is within reason. Couldn't take out all the cylinder slap but a .002 washer fixed that up just fine.

The rear of the cylinder showed signs of fanning and out of time strikes, so it may be that out of time firings had been the main culprit.
Still yet, the steel seemed a hair soft for the purpose. Could be a rare flaw due to improper heat treatment, but one should make sure how tough their particular frame is before proceeding with any conversion to hotter cartridges.

PS
For a five or four chamber conversion I'd consider a hammer mounted firing pin with between the chambers slots in the cylinder to hold the pin between chambers. The old Colt cap and ball revolvers and several early cartridge revolvers used this safety system and it works well.
The four chamber colt House pistol with cloverleaf arrangement used the between chambers hammer position which allowed a slimmer profile when carrying in a pocket.
Some designers added extra locking bolt cuts in the cylinder.
Old December 30, 2012, 03:19 PM   #10
Jim Watson

Six Shot Safety has been sought in the past.
Percussion Colts typically had a notch in the hammer nose and little pins set between chambers. An old Colt with much use will have the pins battered down beyond usefulness.
Some of the Manhattan revolvers had extra bolt notches to hold the cylinder between chambers which must be more secure.
Remington percussion revolvers (and the Ruger Old Army) had substantial notches between chambers. The hammer nose down in one of those is not likely to go anywhere.

The system did not carry over much to the cartridge era. I have not looked close at a Colt House or cloverleaf to see what they do.
The NAA MiniRevolvers have notches like a c&b Remington which engage their blade type rimfire firing pins.

Some say it is ok to carry a SA with the hammer down between chambers and the firing pin trapped between case rims. But it doesn't take much of a nudge to let it shift.

Freedom Arms '83 has a hammer block but they still have a 4 shooter warning on every page of their manual. They trust you with the '97 loaded under a transfer bar... a little.
Old December 30, 2012, 05:31 PM   #11
Bob Wright

"Could it be converted to..........?" With enough money I suppose some gunsmith could build it in .50 S&W. But there again is the question of practicality.

Bob Wright
Old December 31, 2012, 12:37 AM   #12
weblance

These threads always crack me up. Can it be done? SURE! ABSOLUTELY! Is it worth doing? I dont really want to take the time to answer all the reasons why its not worth doing. I need that time to finish my NAA Mini Revolver 20 gauge conversion.
Old December 31, 2012, 11:18 PM   #13
El Bango

Hey Weblance,could you convert mine too?
Old December 31, 2012, 11:43 PM   #14
weblance

Sure! Absolutely!

Last edited by weblance; December 31, 2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old January 1, 2013, 03:32 AM   #15
Redhawk5.5+P+

Quote:
Single six to 44 special...?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could a single six be converted to five shot 44 special?
Sorry, you must have to much time on your hands, or, money, because my answer is yes, it will only cost you about $111.111.11 or more. LOL
Old January 1, 2013, 09:36 AM   #16
the Black Spot

"These threads always crack me up!"

Maybe that's why I posted it, because some are so dry they need a good laugh!

Also because some of us want to learn.....
Old January 1, 2013, 05:54 PM   #17
Sharpsdressed Man

Like when PeeWee Herman fell off his bike and quickly got up and said, "I MEANT to do that!" How do we know you weren't serious?
Old January 3, 2013, 07:47 AM   #18
the Black Spot

Was serious, thought I read somewhere it could be done or had been. Figured a barrel swap and a cylinder and hand change might be all that was needed. Might be more feasible with a sp101.
Old January 3, 2013, 10:34 AM   #19
Jim Watson

Not that, either. The cylinder is just not big enough. It is already limited to 5 shots in .38.

There were some Speed Sixes converted to .44 Special.
Old January 3, 2013, 11:20 AM   #20
Hal

Quote:
Was serious, thought I read somewhere it could be done or had been. Figured a barrel swap and a cylinder and hand change might be all that was needed
Are you sure it was a Single Six or could it possibly have been a Service Six or Security Six?
I do get some hits on Google for .44spl security six...

I see Jim already mentioned it..