The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 4, 2012, 02:33 AM   #1
Andy Griffith

Rogers & Spencer in CAS?

Perhaps I'm the only one to notice, but I took my straight shooting Rogers & Spencer to a get together today, to get ready for a match tomorrow.

One thing that I now remember I noticed when practicing some time ago- when cocking the revolver briskly, the cylinder stop will not engage the notch that it should- the reason for this is likely the absence of lead-in cuts to the notches on the cylinder. I guess this is why I don't get as much range time with it as some of the others- I forget about it's one misgiving and then don't enjoy it for quite some time again. However, it is one of the most accurate period replicas I own.

The only way to overcome this that I know of it to just slow down and deliberately cock the hammer at a speed that will allow the cylinder stop to fully engage the notch, or possibly have lead-ins cut to the notches.

I suppose that the tendency to skip chambers under brisk manipulation of the action was something that either the builder or the designer didn't count on in the design, or was hastily left off to speed production- we'll likely never know for certain. I'd love for someone knowledgeable on the original's history to expound upon it if possible. If this gun would have been issued, I'm certain many soldiers may have been dismayed when their revolver didn't work upon hasty a hasty draw and brisk working of the action under duress. Of course, of the originals few were ever issued, and nearly all sold as surplus around the turn of the century- new and unfired.
Old February 4, 2012, 12:01 PM   #2
sltm1

I own a well used original and the metal between the nipple holes has been really banged up. I think what you are referring to was a problem back in the day also. However, I have a Euroarms repro and have never had that problem at all. Could be the split leaf spring the controls the bolt and trigger is weak or loose.....one fo about 6 possibilities.