The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 17, 2011, 08:22 PM   #1
levallois

Forehand & Wadsworth New Model Army 44

Just got one - very nicely made - 44 Russian caliber - at least as well-built as Colt, S&W. Remington, or Merwin Hulbert. Serial number is on 9 parts - grip frame butt, both wood grips (counted as only 1), side plate, loading gate, hammer, trigger, trigger guard, cylinder, cylinder arbor (the rod that the cylinder turns on) - I'm sure it's on the barrel too but hidden by the frame which would make 10 parts! I think Merwins only have 9 parts marked.

I'd like to find out more about it. You read in a bunch of places on the web "less than 1000 made" but I don't know where that comes from. There's a pub over at Cornell Publishing on the F&H company but apparently only 4 pages are devoted to the large frame revolvers - not enough to warrant the $20 price. David Chicoine doesn't list this revolver in his Gunsmithing Guns of the Old West book but has something in American Gunsmithing on the preceding Old Model Army that I may have to buy. If anyone had heard/seen anything else, then please let me know. Thanks!

John

Old August 20, 2011, 11:06 AM   #2
levallois

Wow! 77 looks and no responses. Shows how little is known about these revolvers. I've got some repsonses elsewhere but it's pretty much the same stuff - mostly I think from the Blue Book.

Another artsy-fartsy view of the revolver. I actually own a vintage holster that fits! What are the odds?

Old August 20, 2011, 03:03 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have never seen one and only know what I read in Flayderman, which is likely the source of the "under 1000" figure. From the same source, they were made c. late 1870's to 1880's in .44 Russian, 6 1/2" barrel only. Finish was usually nickel, blue will bring premium.

It also says, "The New Model is quite similar to its predecessor except for the barrel length, the adoption of a safety notch in the hammer, the use of a side-mounted ejector on barrel and frame, and the presence of an exposed type cylinder pin. This has been traditionally classified as a "Secondary Martial" although there is no substantiating evidence to indicate such [military] usage.

Value Good: $1275 Fine $ 3250."

I don't suppose that helps much, but it is all I have. Unfortunately, yours seems to have no finish left, which would probably put its value below even the "good" category.

An interesting gun.

Jim
Old August 20, 2011, 03:52 PM   #4
levallois

Thanks for the reply - I think Flayderman's is where everyone is getting their info on this model. I also respectively disagree with your rating of the gun - I think it falls nearest to the NRA Antique Firearms Condition rating of very good, described as:

"All original parts, zero-30 percent original finish, original metal surfaces smooth with all edges sharp, clear lettering, numerals, and design on metal wood slightly scratched or bruised, bore disregarded."

Either way, it's a keeper, as I too have never seen another in the flesh and it's a great and rare addition to my non-Colt Peacemaker old west large frame revolver collection.
Old August 20, 2011, 10:08 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

I agree it meets that antique category. And it sure is a great addition to your collection. As I said, I have never even seen one "in the steel" as it were. Congrats in finding it.

Jim