The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 18, 2013, 10:09 PM   #1
chris in va

CZ 527, single loading

My manual clearly states it is possible to single load a round without having to use a magazine.

For the life of me I can't get the bolt to close on a single round in he chamber. Any tips on how to do this?
Old December 18, 2013, 11:55 PM   #2
FALPhil

Regardless of what the manual says, I wouldn't try it. Single loading without using the magazine with a bolt that has a non-rotating claw extractor is asking for trouble.
Old December 20, 2013, 07:48 PM   #3
pathdoc

It would seem like a design flaw. One OUGHT to be able to use any detachable-magazine (including floorplate-type) rifle without the magazine in case the latter is lost or damaged. (This is why I object to self-loading pistols with magazine-release safeties - one of the strengths of the "automatic" over a revolver is that you can have one up in the breech and hot to trot if you must reload in potentially hostile territory.)
Old December 20, 2013, 08:06 PM   #4
sirgilligan

I recall someone saying they make a device for the controlled feed micro-mauser action. I will try to find out who told me about it. I have a 527 in .223 REM.

The comment about a design flaw, I don't think so.

p.s. I think the device is the "CZ 527 Single Shot Follower".

It does say this in the owners manual:

Loading is also possible for single cartridges by directly inserting into the chamber without the use of a magazine.

Last edited by sirgilligan; December 20, 2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old December 20, 2013, 08:35 PM   #5
Jerry45

Do they mean single feed without the magazine installed or single feed without putting the round IN the magazine? I single feed my 527 all the time with the magizie installed in the rifle by just dropping the round in and closeing the bolt. I've never tried without the magizine in the rifle.
Old December 20, 2013, 09:27 PM   #6
Wyosmith

There should be a bevel on the fact of the extractor. That bevel is to cause the extractor to spring out and over a shell rim. If you are using steel cases there can be a problem because the shell and the extractor are both made of steel and the slippage you ordinarily get with brass is lacking.

When any Mauser or Mauser copy is made right there is no problem with single loading. That’s something the “Real Experts” try to tell you so you’ll think they have deep and special knowledge.

I have been a gunsmith now for over 45 years. I have made so guns on Mausers (as well as Springfields, 1917 Enfiends and several other actions that copy the Mauser system) that I lost count of them probably 25 years ago. I have made them for several prestigious clients including 1 of the “big names” of London. I assure you that if the action and extractor are set up correctly they are not going to break

If yours is not working there are only 2 reasons.

#1. The extractor is not beveled correctly. If you had a CZ527 action barreled for a 7.62X39 and it had a 223 extractor installed, that would cause that problem exactly.

#2, Steel case heads are hard enough to “bite” a bit on the extractor bevel and not let it slip. This is again a matter of having the correct polish and angles stoned into the bevel.

Let’s look at a bit of logic here.

Let us look at the extractors on a Weatherby, a Mosin Nagant, a Remington M700, a 1903 Mannlicher, or an M91 Mauser and then let’s compare them to the extractors on a Krag, A Springfield 1903, a Mauser of the M93, 94, 95 96 or 98 type, a Ruger M77, a pre-64 M70 Winchester.

The average depth of engagement of a shell head is about .026” to .028” on a rimless shell and about .032 to 040” on a rimmed shell.
So we are safe to assume NO extractor will ever have to flex more than .040” to get over the rim of a shell.

Now let’s also assume we are talking about good quality spring steel used in every example, and also correct hear treatment.
(Yes I know, there are examples of poor steel and poor heat treatments that were used from time to time, but that is a completely separate issue. Poor quality is not something we can get around with “careful loading” nor should we. If you have an extractor that is poorly made replace it instead of babying it)

If we go back to 6th grade geometry we can see easily that is we flex 2 pieces of steel at one end .040” but one piece of steel is 3” long and the other one is 1” long, the one that is 3” long is going to have 1/3 the stress on it than the 1” piece is going to have, and that only if we do not take into account the fact the springs stack so the stress is a compound equation. Real springs stress exponentially.

So why would the Mauser be in such danger of breaking when the Mannlicher and the Weatherby and the M700 are not? The 700 uses a semi-circular clip as an extractor which when measured over the outside curve is less than .600” long. Yes, they do break now and then, but I don’t hear the outcry about how often they break. I have been gunsmithing for over 45 years now and I have probably replaced about 100 to 130 Remington 721, 722 and 700 extractors because of breakage. I have replaced exactly 2 Mauser extractors and both were not because they broke, but because someone bubba’d them up.

Anyway, without belaboring the point farther, you should be able to single load your CZ. If you can’t something was not fitted or polished correctly at the factory. You should probably call CZ USA and ask them, but I’d bet you they will have you return the bolt to them for repairs and that will solve the problem.

Last edited by Wyosmith; December 20, 2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old December 21, 2013, 04:36 PM   #7
chris in va

Thanks for the info. I only use my brass case reloads, no steel. Perhaps a bit of lube on the extractor bevel will help. It's not something I would do on a regular basis but just one of those things that has vexed me.

Quote:
Loading is also possible for single cartridges by directly inserting into the chamber without the use of a magazine.
Yup, that's exactly what my manual states.
Old December 21, 2013, 07:21 PM   #8
Hunter Customs

I have a CZ 527 in 223 I can single load a round in the chamber without using the magazine.

I also have a custom rifle built on a Mauser 98 action, the extractor claw has been beveled as Wyosmith described and it will chamber single rounds without feeding under the extractor claw.

Chris, you might want to contact CZ about your problem.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old December 22, 2013, 08:16 AM   #9
jmr40

The original military Mausers were not designed to work unless the round came out of the magazine. Even with those there were ways around that, but some people didn't get the memo when that was changed. I'm aware of no modern made CRF rifle that will not feed directly into the magazine unless there is something wrong with the gun.
Old December 23, 2013, 08:39 PM   #10
Willie D

1903 Springfields have the magazine "Off" switch so I would guess people have gotten away with loading without using the mag for some time.
Old February 2, 2014, 09:32 PM   #11
Hornet 6

I have, or have had CZ527's in .22 Hornet, .222, .223 and 7.62x39.
The hornet has always single loaded a loose round without issue, as did the .222.
The .223 and 7.62x39 did not, the .223 was fine if using a single shot loading tray, not so the 7.62.
The .223 needed no more than a light polish on the front edge of the extractor to work perfectly, loose round or from the tray.
The 7.62 I was surprised to find had no lead angle on the front of the extractor, and was actually very sharp inside and out.
It also badly marked the brass, leaving a sharp 'spike' of brass sticking out from the rim.
I removed the extractor and gave a simple deburr with a fine diamond hone, followed with a polish using a small fine scotch-brite wheel on the dremel.
Rifle now feeds perfectly no matter how you do it, magazine, loose or loading tray, and no more brass damage.

Neil.
Old February 4, 2014, 05:36 PM   #12
chris in va

You're right, I noticed my extractor face is a bit rough, but definitely angled properly for single loading.

If I put the round in the chamber and try to close the bolt, it won't close. If I tilt the gun back and let the bolt push it into battery, it snaps over the rim most of the time.

I may try that polishing procedure you mentioned. Typical CZ, needs a bit of tweaking!

UPDATE: I polished the face of the extractor claw (which was quite rough) and it single feeds like a champ now!

Last edited by chris in va; February 6, 2014 at 05:53 AM.