The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 27, 2011, 11:40 PM   #1
thinktwice

Mossberg 930 Help??

A while back I purchased a Mossberg 930 "Special Purpose 18.5 barrel" with the heat shield and the "breach barrel. I would have never bought the gun with that stupid "breach" barrel but it was a new shotgun at a price I couldn't turn down. I can live with the heat shield but that stupid thing on the end of the barrel has to go. Can't figure out why Mossberg would produce something like that except maybe law enforcement. Anyway my question is does anyone know where I can find another 18.5 barrel for this shotgun. The shortest thing Mossberg list for the 930 is the 24" barrel. Anyone of you guys have any ideas other than buying the 24" barrel and having it cut down. Is there another barrel that would fit. I am open to any ideas.
Old May 28, 2011, 08:00 AM   #2
l98ster

The biggest problem I see with the 930 is by far the barrel selection for it. I am seriously looking into one for 3 gun competitions, and as of right now there is no barrel that would work for it.

The 18.5 inch barrel is to short and not fitted for chokes, and the 24 inch is slightly to long and is ported (ported will put me in open class for 3 gun).

On Brian Enos forum, a rep from mossberg has said that they are developing a 24 inch barrel with no porting.

Benny Hill (a gunsmith from Texas) is working on a 3 gun prototype with mossberg. Jerry miculek is already using it in competition.

Ultimately, if you can live with what you have for now, Im sure they will soon produce something to your liking. Thats what I am doing!!

-George
Old May 28, 2011, 10:45 AM   #3
TheKlawMan

thinktwice. Doesn't Mossberg list an 18.5" barrel as model 93020? Does the length of the special purpose barrel include the breecher choke and if not can't it be cut off?
Old May 28, 2011, 12:04 PM   #4
C0untZer0

The 930 SPX comes in an 18.5" barrel, there have to be barrels out there...
Old May 28, 2011, 02:13 PM   #5
Stevie-Ray

You should be able to buy an SPX barrel from Mossberg. However, since it's for the SPX, expect it to be pricey.
Old May 28, 2011, 03:20 PM   #6
thinktwice

TheKlawMan I didn't see one on the web site , but I will look again or call Mossberg. I thought of the SPX barrel however they don't list that barrel. I will check on that too. Thanks guys
Old May 29, 2011, 12:43 PM   #7
l98ster

All mossberg has to do is put out a 22 inch barrel, non ported, with just a front bead (fiber optic preferably), and thread it for chokes. Then, give it to Miculek to run in the multi gun competitions.

Then, watch all those 930's fly off the shelves.

I shoot with 4 guys, not including myself, that are waiting for them to come out with that barrel. Once they do, I know of 5 new mossberg sales!!

-George
Old June 3, 2011, 03:21 PM   #8
EvilBetty

Mossberg is selling 24" non ported barrels direct. Call and ask for Yvette.

No price, model number, or date yet but details for the new Miculek 930 are:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossberg

Black Composite Stock – Matte Blue Finish
24” Vent Rib Barrel w/ NO PORTING
Choked barrel to include 3 choke tubes: I.C., Mod., Full.
Front Green Fiber Optic Sight – No mid-bead
9 Round magazine tube w/Barrel clamp (+1 for total of 10 round capacity)
Bolt release button to be drilled and Nordic Bolt Release button added
Bottom loading port will be rounded for easier/faster loading