The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 10, 2010, 11:14 PM   #1
Danny

Smith & Wesson K-22 4" Barrel Need DOB

I have had this K-22 Revolver since 1973. Purchased used from a local gunshop in up-state NY. The serial number is K 348XXX I would like to find the year of manufacture and maybe it's relative value. It is in what I would call above average condition having always been kept well oiled and in a zipper case...

I'm thinking of selling/tradeing it to buy an engraved model of the Ruger LCP ...I would appreciate anyone who might be able to find it's age...Thank You, Danny
Old May 10, 2010, 11:48 PM   #2
Duke City Six

Welcome.

The engraved LCPs I've seen are in the $350.00 to $450.00 range.

I don't have the book, so I can't date your revolver for you, but I'm wondering if it might be a pre-model 17. No doubt someone will chime in here soon.

I'm not telling you what to do, but I'd hang on to that Masterpiece and save for the LCP.

Last edited by Duke City Six; May 13, 2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old May 11, 2010, 12:21 AM   #3
RJay

S&W used the serial numbers K317823 -K350547 in 1958. K-22 Masterpiece, Which in 1957 became the Model 17. After 1957 the 4 inch version was sold as the Model 18. In 1985 the Model 18 was discontinued and S&W went back to the 4 inch barrel Model 17. What gos around comes around Your gun, do with it what ever you wish, but in my opinion if you sell it to buy a LCP you are trading a silk purse for a sows ear. Just my opinion and I have others.
Old May 11, 2010, 12:23 AM   #4
laytonj1

K348XXX = 1958.
In excellent condition (little to no bluing wear) an easy $500 to $600 retail.

Normally I wouldn't comment on this but, trading a model 17 (especially one you've owned since 1973) on a LCP???? No Way.

Jim
Old May 11, 2010, 02:03 AM   #5
Duke City Six

Oh yeah

Forgot about the 4" barrel part. I should have written, "... I'm wondering if it might be a pre-model 18."

At 1958, it almost is.

By any other name, still a masterpiece.

Last edited by Duke City Six; May 11, 2010 at 03:06 AM.
Old May 11, 2010, 02:54 AM   #6
gyvel

I agree whole heartedly with RJay and all the rest of the above.
Old May 11, 2010, 04:09 AM   #7
Hammer It

Hello Danny
You have what should be a model marked 18 K-22 Combat Masterpiece that shipped in 1958 according to your serial number it is very close to mine that shipped in July 1958 and is a Four screw gun meaning Three screws in the side Plate and one in front of the trigger Guard. It is worth almost double of what the Ruger LCP is in todays market the dealer would be getting the best of that deal on a trade in, if you must have that Ruger sell yours anbd buy the Ruger Out right... Here's mine... Hammer It

Old May 11, 2010, 09:21 AM   #8
aarondhgraham

The Model 18 is a veritable Classic handgun,,,

No really,,,
I mean a Classic.

S&W has reintroduced it into their Classic line,,,
A new one will cost someone $1,043.00.

If you want an LCR, buy one.

Don't trade one of the finest .22 revolvers ever made,,,
For a modern and easily obtainable handgun.

That would be a bad thing.
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old May 13, 2010, 04:15 AM   #9
gyvel

Looks like it's pretty much unanimous. Trading your S&W for, of all things, a Ruger LCP (Low Class Pistol) is pretty much a bad idea.
Old May 13, 2010, 09:46 AM   #10
carguychris

Quote:
Normally I wouldn't comment on this but, trading a model 17 (especially one you've owned since 1973) on a LCP???? No Way.
+1. IMHO guns come in two classes- tools that are meant to be carried and beaten up, and fine examples of the gunmaker's art that are to be cherished and handed down to your kids one day.

An LCP is an example of the former. A K-22 is an example of the latter.

FWIW if I were going to buy an LCP, I'd forget about the engraved and fancy multi-colored versions and buy the cheap basic black-on-black model. The finish is gonna get scratched up and worn down in your holster, and it's a commonplace run-of-the-mill handgun that's never really going to be worth much. Why bother paying extra?
Old June 1, 2012, 02:04 PM   #11
LynnB

I purchased a K22 in 1972 and I still have it and the original box and paper work. I have more than a few S&W's but the K is still my favorate. It will go to one of my son's. I would never sell it. I recently received my Dad's K22 from my brother and was wondering if anyone could tell me the year it was made. The
SR# is K284073. My dad shot this gun often we used them to hunt bull frogs in up state NY. He allways kept track of his shots his longest string was 230 shots 229 frogs. He always took good care of his guns. This one shows the blueing ware of a gun well used for I estimate 50 years. Hope there is someome that can tell me exactly how many wears. This one will also never leave my family Lynn B
Old June 1, 2012, 06:55 PM   #12
Hammer It

Hello LynnB
According to my Reference material your Dad's K-22 was made in 1956 with that years serial number's being -K-266165--K--288988. This K-22 would have been a Four screw Variation Meaning Three side plate screw's {One under the right Grip panel} and One in front of the Trigger Guard making it a Four screw revolver. I have a new in Box K-22 that was shipped in June of 1956 as shown with all of it's Acc. and Paperwork. It is a Four screw Non Model stamped variation . The Four screw Non Model stamped K-22's are Scarse as they only had them without model number's from late 1955-To Mid 1957 time span. Is your Dad's Gun Model stamped in the crane area that you can see when you open the gun's cylinder ? If not there were not many made in that time frame of the four screw variation guns that did not have the MOD. 17 stamped into them. I hope this Helps, Hammer It

Tags
22 cal , k frame , masterpiece , revolvers , s&w