The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

View Poll Results: Should I buy the westinghouse M91 Mosin?
buy it 16 94.12%
don't buy it 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 28, 2012, 04:24 PM   #1
chack

Opinion on this Westinghouse Mosin?

I have a lead on a US made Westinghouse Mosin. All the numbers match and it has the original unmolested finish. The stock is marked with both the original Russian acceptance stamp and the US flaming bomb.

The bore is in good condition. It is dark with light pitting, but has strong lands and grooves. It comes with a non matching number bayonet.

It is at a gunshop on consignment where they had it listed for $450. The 5 on the tag was written over a 0.

I told them I would be interested if I could get it for $300 worth of trade guns (I bought a few upgrades recently and want to sell the extras). The owner said he'd take $300 cash OTD, and I'm leaning toward making the deal but hope one of the members can say something that will push me over the fence one way or another...

Last edited by chack; June 28, 2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old June 28, 2012, 05:01 PM   #2
tahunua001

I have heard rumors of westinghouse mosins but have never heard of anyone actually finding one. they are even rarer than the remington made mosins. 450 sounds a little steep to me but that is one of the rarest examples of a 1891 you will ever find.
Old June 28, 2012, 05:05 PM   #3
gandog56

I just bought one for MUCH less on Gun Depot. That's all I'm a saying. Sure is a long gun, though.
Old June 28, 2012, 06:04 PM   #4
chack

He said he'd take $300.
Old June 28, 2012, 08:05 PM   #5
boostedtt91

i found one of the Remington Mosin's at my local gun shop alittle while back, was a great find i thought. I would of liked to buy it since they don't seem to show up to often, but i can't justify spending a couple hundred $ more for it cause it was made by Remington
Old June 28, 2012, 08:08 PM   #6
chack

The same gun made in Russia would still be $200 or more. The M91 is more valuable than a M91/30 due the much smaller numbers of M91s.
Old June 28, 2012, 08:10 PM   #7
jimbob86

Quote:
i can't justify spending a couple hundred $ more for it cause it was made by Remington

What the bore slug out to? For a handloader, it'd be cheaper to feed than a Russian one: .308 bullets are a durn sight cheaper than .311.

IIRC, the Westinghouse Mosins had .308 bores ..... my dad had one and destroyed the bore shooting .311 Russian surplus ammo through it.
Old June 28, 2012, 08:34 PM   #8
tahunua001

300 for a westinghouse sounds like a good deal to me, go get it...before it disappears into legend like the rest of them
Old June 29, 2012, 01:12 AM   #9
gyvel

The fact that it has the U.S. ordnance bomb indicates that it was either one of the never delivered rifles which was subsequently used as a training rifle or else it was issued during the AEF incursion into Russia after WWI.

I have to say I have seen more Westinghouse rifles than I have Remingtons, and I always felt that the Remington was slightly less common than the Westinghouse, having owned a couple of each over the past decades. One Westinghouse I had in particular had the ordnance bombs and eagle markings, which I foolishly sold off.

I would say $300.00 is a very fair price for that particular rifle as it is part of U.S. history.

One note of warning: Make sure that some clown hasn't rechambered it to .30-06. This was a common practice back in the 60s and 70s to make the rifles more salable, and left the rifles with dangerously oversized chambers.
Old June 29, 2012, 11:28 AM   #10
DE Shooter

There are many little "particulars" that M91 collectors look for. Some don't value US made much more. For some, like me, they are the only M91s I want to own. That $300 is a good price...depending on what you want it for. If it functions properly get it. If it has the original "English Contract" cartouche on the left side of the butt stock, then it is the original black walnut wood....making the deal even sweeter! Go to the 7.62x54r.net website to learn more. The folks on "Gunboards" will welcome you with open arms; especially the "Collectors"....but be ready with pics...or it doesn't exist! They are great folks, just like the folks here!
Old June 29, 2012, 11:49 AM   #11
Chuckusaret

I have only seen one and it had been butchered. Just buy it.
Old June 29, 2012, 09:14 PM   #12
jhenry

Assuming the chamber is unsullied, buy it, buy it, buy it!!
Old June 30, 2012, 06:27 PM   #13
Mike Irwin
Staff

Bannerman also re chambered many of these guns. There was an article on them in american rifleman in the 19 ninety's. If it has a semi circular cut out in the top receiver ring do not buy it. That was put there to allow be longer u s cartridge to chamber.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 6, 2012, 07:22 AM   #14
indy1919

Help me out here,

I am sorry did not not fully understand the warning from Mike?? If it has that mark do not by it because????

And please another question, If it has been rechambered for 30-06, As long as you find out would it be ok to shoot 30-06 out of it?????
Old July 6, 2012, 10:03 AM   #15
Mike Irwin
Staff

Sorry. The rechambering was shoddily done. Chambers were oversize.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 6, 2012, 11:45 AM   #16
DE Shooter

I've seen three X-Remington M91, Bannerman 30.06s at gunshows in the last five or six years. I have no interest in them, but I do like learning about them. From what I understand, they are better off collectables, not for shooting, because there have been some issues with the re-chambering. That being said, if you are a good re-loader, you might work up a safe round for one. There are enough safe Rem M91s and sporterized ones (still 7.62x54r) around. If your looking for a shooter, be patient and get one. There is no lack of ammo, in many variations available.