The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 28, 2010, 08:00 PM   #1
DBoone

Late registration/ no jail time???

I bought a rifle at a gun show many years ago. I have a bill off sale from a rifle range only, no name. Rifle name only, no serial number. I did not register it in Ca. Can I now do that without a fine or going to the big house for 50 years????: It is not an assult rifle. Holds only a 10 round strip-clip.
Old February 28, 2010, 08:28 PM   #2
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBoone
I bought a rifle at a gun show many years ago. I have a bill off sale from a rifle range only, no name. Rifle name only, no serial number. I did not register it in Ca. Can I now do that without a fine or going to the big house for 50 years????: It is not an assult rifle. Holds only a 10 round strip-clip
[1] Whether or not the rifle is covered by the California "assault rifle" law will depend on a bunch of details. You can check it out for yourself here: http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/awguide/awguide.php. Also see: http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/zastava.php .

[2] I suggest that you not post details. If you do have problems, you really don't want to be going into them in public with strangers -- like here on the Internet.

[3] If the rifle is covered by the assault rifle law, you're too late to register it. And if that's the case, you need a lawyer. Among other things, what you discuss with your lawyer is confidential.

[4] If the rifle is not covered by the assault rifle law, you're in the clear. There's no registration of long guns in California (except for those covered by the assault rifle law).
Old February 28, 2010, 09:00 PM   #3
DBoone

Wow, I do not have to register my rifle?

THANKS fiddletown. It is not an assault gun per Ca law???? So should I register it or not??
Old February 28, 2010, 09:11 PM   #4
Frank Ettin
Staff

If you're certain it's not covered by the assault rifle law, there's no registration of long guns. So there's nothing to register.
Old March 1, 2010, 07:20 AM   #5
greco

If you don't HAVE to register it, why would you want to???
Old March 1, 2010, 08:50 AM   #6
DBoone

Didn't know

I did know if I had to register my long gun. Now that I know there is no need to, thanks to y'all, I will go with that. Thanks again